Port Fatigue - Caribbean

watson61

I haven’t been on enough cruises to have port fatigue yet! Especially since I now have a new cruising partner that hasn’t been to the Caribbean or Bahamas! I do know that I would like to stay in the shop someday while it’s at port, just to experience the ship having less people on board.

I also ran into this article today. The Bahamas says that not enough people get off the big cruise ships while in port, and passengers aren’t spending enough while there, so they are cutting incentives for cruise lines. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-bahamas-unhappy-with-cruise-passenger-spending-20181022-story,amp.html

On 9/6/2018 at 3:16 PM, PoppyandNana said:

Know what you mean. How many times can you go to st Martin if you’re not a beach person. We love staying aboard. Ship is quiet. Drinks and food are free albeit with a beverage package. Can sit by the pool. Take a dip every so often. Great.

Never thought of the beverage pkg being a driver to staying aboard.  Makes sense, I guess

We have cruised to Caribbean  ports more times than I can count and we rarely, if ever, stay on board.  We have a few favorite places  that we re-visit when in port,  but we seem to find new things to do most everywhere.   There have been just a few exceptions, and those have mainly been B2B where the same port was visited twice  in one week.  All other times, we were off and enjoying the port.

Go on-line  to find  walking tours, hire a taxi, take a walk up side streets,  check out bus routes and take a self guided tour, look for local restaurants/bars, try a new water activity, zip line someplace other than an Oasis class ship, hire a local and walk outside the gates etc. if you have a "been there done that" feeling.  Don't confine your visit to the port area.  Get out and actually see the port  city and perhaps contribute to  their local economy. 

enjoy

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Some people sail and are happy with the ship as the destination.  Some people sail to explore new destinations.  Some people just want to go to the beach  (The best one is the passenger that wanted to go to the beach in Cuba and complained that it was run down and did not have umbrellas, chairs, or a little drink shack).

If you go to the same place every year, than yes, it can be boring.  However, RCCL offers cruises in Europe, Dubai, and Asia.  If you like new destinations, expand where you are going. 

Go learn about different areas, read book on the locations, and go explore the new cultures, and history.  But whatever you do, don't complain on an Asian cruise, that they served Chinese food to you.  It just sounds plain silly.

On 9/6/2018 at 11:51 AM, LordAsriel said:

I'm going on my second cruise in November and from what I can see, all the shore excursions are essentially the same. The better-half and I are thinking that this might be the last time we get off the board for shore excursions; the boat is the destination in our mind.

Wow! Second cruise and already staying on board? Now that is sad. We are Diamonds and are just starting to be selective to when we stay on board. Please give excursions a further look. There is so much to try out there.

2 hours ago, BNBR said:

I don't understand the concept of port fatigue. Do these people ever visit the same restaurant twice? Only visit a park once? Disney once... Etc.  It doesn't make sense. 

Sure it makes sense.  IMO, your analogy doesn't work when comparing staying on a cruise ship to only going to Disney once, restaurant twice....

When on a cruise, there are some very nice perks to staying on the ship.  You've already committed to the vacation, so it's just a choice for the day.  Stay on the ship for lower crowds, easier access to everything, a relaxing day without a lot of walking/logistics, and many times specials on specialty dining, spa treatments, etc...  So it's just a choice of getting off the ship in port and having fun that way, or having fun on the ship.  Both are good options in their own right. especially if you've visited a port and just don't care for it.

When considering Disney or a restaurant, your other comparative option is pretty limited.  Go to a restaurant for a nice meal, or your other option... stay home.  woohoo, now that's exciting.  :)    Same goes for Disney.  If you've invested the money and time to visit Disney then you are going to make use of the parks.  Your other option...  stay home.  woohoo.  FWIW, many visitors to Disney do take breaks during their visit and just relax at the resort for a day to recuperate for some downtime.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

3 hours ago, BNBR said:

I don't understand the concept of port fatigue.

As someone that is totally mobility challenged, I find MOST of these ports, especially outside the dock areas to be very lacking in accessiblity.  There is no ADA.   Not to mention VERY few handicap accessible excursions at most if any at all.   My upcoming cruise on Harmony goes to St Thomas, St Maarten and Coco Cay.   Im only getting off the ship in Coco Cay because there will be a dock now and I wanna check out how far its come since I was there 8 years ago.    St Thomas, sadly, was horrible as far as accessibility goes and getting around that place.  I MIGHT get off in St Maarten because I want to visit Maho Beach but Im not sure yet.  Meanwhile, a new fully accessible ship such as Harmony, without thousands of people onboard sounds like paradise to me!   Its when I can use the lifts for the pool without feeling like thousands of people are staring at me. 🙂  

Edited by ryano

On 9/6/2018 at 10:32 AM, watson61 said:

I'm wondering how many of you long-time cruisers stay on the ship when the port is one you've been to many many times. I'm at that point with St. Maarten, Nassau and Labadee. I recently went on Allure with family and had a great time, but I was tempted to stay onboard at St. Maarten and Labadee. My family had never been to those ports so I got off with them, but next time I don't think I will.

Allure is a party all on its own so it's not like I would've been bored.

Know what you mean, but we still get off if to only walk around the port area.  In St Maarten on Allure a few years ago, we stayed on (other than walking off and in/out port shops) and watched from the ship the America's Cup sailboats sail around.  We had a great view.  Also, close to a bar.

We do like to try new excursions and for sure have NOT done them all in any port, but we also like as one of our excursions each sailing, to have a port day onboard.  Not sure I would say we are tired of Labadee.  Get a lounger in the shade and bar service, hard to beat.  

1 hour ago, ryano said:

As someone that is totally mobility challenged, I find MOST of these ports, especially outside the dock areas to be very lacking in accessiblity.  There is no ADA.   Not to mention VERY few handicap accessible excursions at most if any at all.   My upcoming cruise on Harmony goes to St Thomas, St Maarten and Coco Cay.   Im only getting off the ship in Coco Cay because there will be a dock now and I wanna check out how far its come since I was there 8 years ago.    St Thomas, sadly, was horrible as far as accessibility goes and getting around that place.  I MIGHT get off in St Maarten because I want to visit Maho Beach but Im not sure yet.  Meanwhile, a new fully accessible ship such as Harmony, without thousands of people onboard sounds like paradise to me!   Its when I can use the lifts for the pool without feeling like thousands of people are staring at me. 🙂  

Ryan0 - Yes - your situation is very different and unfortunately you don't have the choices that many others have ( and take for granted.)

Enjoy you next cruise.

M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Sure it makes sense.  IMO, your analogy doesn't work when comparing staying on a cruise ship to only going to Disney once, restaurant twice....

When on a cruise, there are some very nice perks to staying on the ship.  You've already committed to the vacation, so it's just a choice for the day.  Stay on the ship for lower crowds, easier access to everything, a relaxing day without a lot of walking/logistics, and many times specials on specialty dining, spa treatments, etc...  So it's just a choice of getting off the ship in port and having fun that way, or having fun on the ship.  Both are good options in their own right. especially if you've visited a port and just don't care for it.

When considering Disney or a restaurant, your other comparative option is pretty limited.  Go to a restaurant for a nice meal, or your other option... stay home.  woohoo, now that's exciting.  :)    Same goes for Disney.  If you've invested the money and time to visit Disney then you are going to make use of the parks.  Your other option...  stay home.  woohoo.  FWIW, many visitors to Disney do take breaks during their visit and just relax at the resort for a day to recuperate for some downtime.

Dan

To me, what you are describing is not port fatigue.  It's just wanting to stay on the ship for the benefits of the ship.  Both are good options, yes, but I wouldn't stay on the ship BECAUSE of port fatigue, merely that I'd rather just stay on the ship over other options.  Just like I'd rather go to the pool than the beach sometimes, it's not because I'm fatigued with the beach, it's just that sometimes I prefer the pool.

As for ports, I don't understand the idea that "I've been here before, tired of it" - I mean, how often do cruisers go to these ports?  Nassau has 45+ ship sponsored excursions and hundreds more private.  I go to the same restaurant a few times per year, surely I can find something that I'd love to do in Nassau once or twice a year that I'm there?  I get having preferences, it's the whole "fatigue" thing that seems ridiculous to me.

29 minutes ago, BNBR said:

To me, what you are describing is not port fatigue.  It's just wanting to stay on the ship for the benefits of the ship.  Both are good options, yes, but I wouldn't stay on the ship BECAUSE of port fatigue, merely that I'd rather just stay on the ship over other options.  Just like I'd rather go to the pool than the beach sometimes, it's not because I'm fatigued with the beach, it's just that sometimes I prefer the pool.

As for ports, I don't understand the idea that "I've been here before, tired of it" - I mean, how often do cruisers go to these ports?  Nassau has 45+ ship sponsored excursions and hundreds more private.  I go to the same restaurant a few times per year, surely I can find something that I'd love to do in Nassau once or twice a year that I'm there?  I get having preferences, it's the whole "fatigue" thing that seems ridiculous to me.

I see what you are saying.  I think it's a combination of factors.   For instance, I don't think anyone has mentioned, or suggested, skipping ANY port on your first visit.  It's only repeat visits (which could be port fatigue, or just not liking the port for some reason) when people might opt to stay on the ship.  I do think port fatigue is a real thing, at least it is for us for a very limited number of ports.  When I look at itineraries I do weigh the ports of call very heavy into the equation.

My wife and I, we've stayed on the ship in San Juan last year, and it was great!   We are a little tired of it already (port fatigue) and just don't need to venture out every time we visit there.  ( I do love the sail away from San Juan though, so beautiful, and worth the stop all on it's own)    I didn't need to wake up at any particular time for an excursion, saved the expense of an excursion, didn't have the hustle and bustle of getting to the meeting point, etc...

I just don't like the blanket statements made by some folks here that there is some mandate or something about getting off the ship at every port.  How silly.  "what kind of idiot would go on a cruise and not visit every port!"  Just because they don't appreciate the idea doesn't mean that others need to feel the same way.  Whether you call it "port fatigue", or rather, wanting something new to experience, I totally understand it.

Dan

• Like 1

This is precisely why we look for "itinerary" first, then ship "second".  Saying that, we too, have visited some islands several + times, but we have tried to see a new place or two each trip.  On just a few (the Oasis Class as they ONLY do typical Eastern/Western itin) we have purposely chosen that particular cruise Just for the ship.....and we have always gotten off the ship in each port anyhow and just walked around or gone to a beach!  But to us, "itinerary" is the first consideration in choosing where we go, and we have now been to most of the Caribbean, so venturing out to different places in the world and mixing it up!!

On 9/6/2018 at 10:32 AM, watson61 said:

I'm wondering how many of you long-time cruisers stay on the ship when the port is one you've been to many many times. I'm at that point with St. Maarten, Nassau and Labadee. I recently went on Allure with family and had a great time, but I was tempted to stay onboard at St. Maarten and Labadee. My family had never been to those ports so I got off with them, but next time I don't think I will.

Allure is a party all on its own so it's not like I would've been bored.

NEVER!!!! We are totally port people as we love beaches.  That is why the Southern Caribbean is our favorite with only 1 sea day.  We get off the ship the minute we are allowed and head to our favorite beaches.  spend all day out there and come back and get back on the ship.  Once it a while we do a bit of shopping, but not much since we have been to the islands so many times.  But we never, ever get tired of them.  Love my Caribbean Beaches!!!!  Only place we typically don't get off the ship is Nassau, mainly b/c I am not going to pay a fortune to go to a nice beach.  Nothing else in Nassau remotely interests us.

14 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Only place we typically don't get off the ship is Nassau, mainly b/c I am not going to pay a fortune to go to a nice beach.  Nothing else in Nassau remotely interests us.

So you don't define that as port fatigue?

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

17 minutes ago, karena1 said:

NEVER!!!! We are totally port people as we love beaches.  That is why the Southern Caribbean is our favorite with only 1 sea day.  We get off the ship the minute we are allowed and head to our favorite beaches.  spend all day out there and come back and get back on the ship.  Once it a while we do a bit of shopping, but not much since we have been to the islands so many times.  But we never, ever get tired of them.  Love my Caribbean Beaches!!!!  Only place we typically don't get off the ship is Nassau, mainly b/c I am not going to pay a fortune to go to a nice beach.  Nothing else in Nassau remotely interests us.

What do you consider a fortune? Even a Melia day pass is pretty cheap. You can also taxi to Love Beach, etc. 

Bahamas, in my opinion, has the best beaches! It's worth it. 

4 minutes ago, karena1 said:

nope, to me fatigue is being tired.  I just plain don't like Nassau.  If we get off the ship we go to Junkanoo and enjoy the beach

That's right.  Fatigue would be "I enjoyed it but been so many times I'm tired of it.". There is a huge difference between fatigue and simply not liking something. 

Just now, BNBR said:

What do you consider a fortune? Even a Melia day pass is pretty cheap. You can also taxi to Love Beach, etc. 

Bahamas, in my opinion, has the best beaches! It's worth it. 

I want to go to a beach, like in almost any other island, where I don't have to pay to get in.  I spend $15-$20 for 2 chairs/umbrella.  Buy some drinks (that don't cost $10 for a beer like Nassau) and food from a "local" beach bar.  Nassau is nothing about the resorts robbing you blind.  I am not saying the water is not gorgeous, it is.  I just want a "local" beach instead of a "resort controlled beach"

The term "Port Fatigue" must be too ambiguous.  When I see the term port fatigue, I don't think of being tired.  I don't think that's how it was meant. 

It's fatigue of going to ports again and again and you've done them so many times that staying on the ship is preferable.  So when I see a comment like yours, to me it fits port fatigue perfectly.  Oh well.  Doesn't really matter in the end.  Do what makes sense for you, and what you enjoy.

We get off the ship 90+% of the time and LOVE the Caribbean islands.  I do also happen to completely understand those that choose to stay on the ship, or are are tired of the "same 'ol" itineraries.  (Here's looking at you Oasis class!)

Dan

10 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I want to go to a beach, like in almost any other island, where I don't have to pay to get in.  I spend $15-$20 for 2 chairs/umbrella.  Buy some drinks (that don't cost $10 for a beer like Nassau) and food from a "local" beach bar.  Nassau is nothing about the resorts robbing you blind.  I am not saying the water is not gorgeous, it is.  I just want a "local" beach instead of a "resort controlled beach"

Sounds like you are looking for Love Beach, in Nassau, with the Nirvana Beach Bar.

You are welcome.  Now start getting off the ship again 🙂