Port Fatigue - Caribbean

watson61

3 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Sounds like you are looking for Love Beach, in Nassau, with the Nirvana Beach Bar.

You are welcome.  Now start getting off the ship again 🙂

We have been in Nassau for years  Where is Love Beach - isn't that Cable Beach?  I think I know where it is.  But when we used to go up there the city bus would not go up that far, you could not rent chairs/umbrellas.  Do they have those now?  

Edited by karena1

3 minutes ago, karena1 said:

We have been in Nassau for years  Where is Love Beach - isn't that Cable Beach?  I think I know where it is.  But when we used to go up there the city bus would not go up that far, you could not rent chairs/umbrellas.  Do they have those now?  

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147416-d1783901-Reviews-Nirvana_Beach_Bar-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html

They will rent you a chair for, I think, $3 of so.  They have food, drinks, etc.  Very much local and low key.  Love Beach/Nirvana Beach Bar.  It's not anywhere near Cable.  It's a bit out of the way so the cab might run a few bucks extra, but nothing crazy.

Edited by BNBR

1 minute ago, BNBR said:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147416-d1783901-Reviews-Nirvana_Beach_Bar-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html

They will rent you a chair for, I think, $3 of so.  They have food, drinks, etc.  Very much local and low key.  Love Beach/Nirvana Beach Bar.  It's not anywhere near Cable.  It's a bit out of the way so the cab might run a few bucks extra, but nothing crazy.

okay, I see it, so way past Sandals.  May have to check it out. Thanks

There are some ports we like more than others. I’m getting bored with the similar itineraries over and over. Yes we prefer to sail from Bayonne but the Caribbean route has barely changed in years. Is there no way to West to Key West, even Labadee which we haven’t seen in 3 or more years. I don’t need an excursion in every port. At least I get off and wander local vendors and shops.  Yes, the ship is the destination in many respects and the lack of crowds on port days a luxury, but it’s nicer when 1-2 different ports are in the itinerary to shake things up. 

Try a Land vacation. The world is huge. Get out there and explore. Don't limit yourself to just cruising. I'm a cruise addict thru and thru but I always throw in two or three land vacations as well each year. Some places a cruise ship can't visit. Mix it up a little. 

Also try smaller cruise lines with exotic itineraries. I stumbled upon a  Paul Gauguin review. Now I'm Seriously researching Tahiti, moorea and Bora Bora to book my next cruise/vacation.

Edited by cynt

2 hours ago, Leslie K said:

There are some ports we like more than others. I’m getting bored with the similar itineraries over and over. Yes we prefer to sail from Bayonne but the Caribbean route has barely changed in years. Is there no way to West to Key West, even Labadee which we haven’t seen in 3 or more years. I don’t need an excursion in every port. At least I get off and wander local vendors and shops.  Yes, the ship is the destination in many respects and the lack of crowds on port days a luxury, but it’s nicer when 1-2 different ports are in the itinerary to shake things up. 

The anthem is doing some 9 night itineraries this upcoming summer that include Labadee.

Dan

Reading these posts suggests that there is a great opportunity for some smart operator to make some money by filling a void ie people who like to be on a ship, or at least like the shipboard experience & really don't care too much to get off anywhere. So why not operate a ship that doesn't go anywhere? Following on, if it doesn't need to move, it doesn't even need to be a ship. So a big building on land would suffice - oh, darn, resort hotels already exist. :classic_smile:

Anyway, we have cruised from Sydney to Sth Pacific Islands many times. On one cruise,  people we know, who had never been to Pacific Islands before, were excited to be going on a cruise to New Caledonia & Vanuatu. The never left the ship at the ports! Not sure what they said when people asked them "how did you enjoy the islands??" 

Anyway, each to their own - or whatever floats your boat.

I am hoping to re book the Allure for our first Oasis Class cruise but have had to cancel twice now one due to a family emergency and the other due to dry dock scheduling. Daughter & I do have planned a b2b on the Freedom so when I am able to book a cruise on the Allure, I plan to stay on and enjoy the ship. 

5 hours ago, karena1 said:

NEVER!!!! We are totally port people as we love beaches.  That is why the Southern Caribbean is our favorite with only 1 sea day.  We get off the ship the minute we are allowed and head to our favorite beaches.  spend all day out there and come back and get back on the ship.  Once it a while we do a bit of shopping, but not much since we have been to the islands so many times.  But we never, ever get tired of them.  Love my Caribbean Beaches!!!!  Only place we typically don't get off the ship is Nassau, mainly b/c I am not going to pay a fortune to go to a nice beach.  Nothing else in Nassau remotely interests us.

paradise island the most beautiful beach take a cab its like $5

8 minutes ago, LCGirl said:

Paradise island its $5 cab ride the most beautiful beach. One of my favorites.nassau

Paradise Island has lots of beaches. I like the one in front of Oprah's house.

Do what we did - avoid the Caribbean henceforth and just do annual med or baltic cruises. Believe me, I've had my fair share of the Caribbean as it is while in the Navy (med too, LOL) but all the same, the med rocks far better than the Caribbean!

2 hours ago, johnjen said:

Do what we did - avoid the Caribbean henceforth and just do annual med or baltic cruises. Believe me, I've had my fair share of the Caribbean as it is while in the Navy (med too, LOL) but all the same, the med rocks far better than the Caribbean!

Thank you for your service.

Our youngest has been on a Japan based carrier 4 years, and truth be told, pretty sure his mother still has more sea days. 😉

Reagan BBOAx7e.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 1

Thanks Dan, I should have specified winter cruising to get away from the cold weather. We don’t cruise to the Caribbean in the summer or do much cruising in the summer.  Preference is to travel during non-prime times. Whether 9, 10, 11 or 12 days, the itineraries are very similar. We loved the opportunity to drive to Baltimore for a western Caribbean route but looking ahead it’s not on the schedule. 

1. Always stay on the ship in Puerto Rico, never do Labadee,unless fortunate to be in the suite class and can go to Barefoot Beach. Love St Martain(Orient Beach) can't wait to see how they "fixed" it, Love Antigua beaches. I love being on the ship when I don't have to fight for a pool chair, so unless it's a stop I cannot miss, I'm very happy to enjoy the Ship I am on!!! 

14 hours ago, LCGirl said:

Paradise island its $5 cab ride the most beautiful beach. One of my favorites.nassau

We do not like Cabbage Beach at all.  One of our most unfavorite places.  And anywhere else over there you have to pay a fortune to spend the day at the beach

I don't know the name of the beach. Over the bridge and they drop you at the public area. Beautiful white sand blue water. We did an excursion once it was rocky not nice at all. Got in through Atlantis another time.