Eating gluten free

azalice

Has eating gluten free on Celebrity been a good experience for you? I know how to set it up prior to cruise and then onboard, but just wondered about your personal experiences regarding service, choices, etc.

I am gluten free. I have cruised gluten free twice on the Summit without setting it up before boarding. We cruise aqua and eat in Blu. We have been accommodated in Blu the MDR and the buffet. They had gluten free EVERYTHING that I needed. They could not have more accommodating.

My niece loved it. Always had gluten free bread for her @ dinner. Allowed her to pre-order each night for the next so if there was something she wanted that wasn’t gluten free they could customize it for her. She hated going back to “the real world “ which for her was poor college student

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I as well am gluten free and will be in AQ for our up coming cruise. I am aware of the labelling of the menus in the main dining room, but the menus I have seen online for Blu don't seem to have the gluten free indicators beside the menu items. It is very easy to use the main dining room menus as each item is clearly indicated. Does anyone have any advise for eating gluten free in Blu?

I have read recently that the buffet has a separate area for GF, anyone have a pic of this area, or can comment to the variety of options.

I have been on 5 or 6 Celebrity cruises in Aqua class so have eaten gf in Blu. If you go to dinner around the same time each night they try to give you the same waiter team which makes it easier, but in any case just let the waiters know you must eat gluten free and they will let you know what you can have and what they can modify for you.

When I’ve had the same waiters each night they would have my gf bread waiting for me. I’ve never had a problem eating gf in Blu.

On my last cruise in January on Silhouette I recall the gf section of the buffet was pretty pitiful, but that could have just been on that ship.

The pizza station will make you up a gf pizza if you ask, you’ll need to wait 15 minutes or so for it but it was decent. I also believe there is gluten free pasta available but I’ve never tried it. They also have gf bread available where they make the sandwiches. Celebrity suggests you speak to the head chef at the buffet who will guide you through what’s available.

Other tidbits: The spa cafe had some gf breakfast bars in the morning which I enjoyed. Tuscan Grill had some really good focaccia bread which was a nice change. Coffee shop has gf cookies but they are coconut so not everybodys taste.

I have to eat gluten free. We usually eat at Luminae. There are no codes on the food so you have to keep asking the waiter what is gluten free. Most times I order from MDR as there are not many options at Luminae and by end of cruise I am tired of eating the same foods.

I have looked at menu evening before to request something be made GF (mainly lamb) and every time I have been told it can’t be done.

The buffet has every food item notated as to food allergy’s, etc. The buffet manager will take you around and tell you what you can eat. I noticed on last cruise they have a separate area for GF desserts which are usually better than in the restaurants. Yes, you have to wait 10 minutes or so for GF pizza or pasta but it is very good.

The GF bread is not good. I bring my own bagels with me for breakfast.

I will never eat at Tuscan again, they told me a dessert was GF and with the first bite I knew it wasn’t. They were not concerned that they glutened me and I would be sick.

At Cafe Al Bacio they have GF macaroons, same for all days of cruise! I think they also have a GF pudding choice in case. On one cruise the baker did not make the macaroons until the third day of cruise after I complained.

I believe no one looks at the Special Request Form you fill out. My feeling is they really do not go out of their way to accommodate you to make special foods. Only time they did was for our anniversary at Murano, they brought us a cake and sang to us. Then took cake away as it was not GF. Next day they brought us a magnificent, delicious GF cake the chef made.

You will not go hungry!

Bonnie

Bonnie,

I also had a very disappointing time when dining in Luminae on the Summit. The gluten-free options couldn't compare to the excellent service we received in the Summit MDR. I never received GF bread at dinner. My GF pasta dish (which I requested on the previous night) was supposedly Pasta Carbonara - it was like watery noodle soup. I hear great things from most GF cruisers, but I guess it can be hit or miss.

No problems for me and I am gluten intolerant. I have cruised in different types of staterooms and dined in MDR, Blu and Luminae, as well as at the buffet. On our last cruise our server in Blu told us that on Reflection the all sauces and gravies were made gluten-free, hence most items on the menus can be ordered as gluten-free and also without sacrificing for taste.

I haven't cruised yet but did contact them and now our reservation has celiac next to my wife's name on it. Not sure if this will make a difference on board but perhaps worth doing for those concerned. We chose Celebrity in part because of the good reviews for gluten free so fingers crossed it will be good.

Just sailed on the Equinox and had a great experience eating gluten free. Each evening my waiter would go over the next night's menu with me and make recommendations. (We were in Blu) They were extremely accommodating. We had dinner in Tuscan one evening and they were also very helpful. The bread they serve is actually the same bread that I use at home so that was also a plus. Each day in the buffet there were also gluten free desserts. Some of them were amazing. I did not have any problems with food what so ever.

Have a great day-

szq

Just sailed on the Equinox and had a great experience eating gluten free. Each evening my waiter would go over the next night's menu with me and make recommendations. (We were in Blu) They were extremely accommodating. We had dinner in Tuscan one evening and they were also very helpful. The bread they serve is actually the same bread that I use at home so that was also a plus. Each day in the buffet there were also gluten free desserts. Some of them were amazing. I did not have any problems with food what so ever.

Have a great day-

szq

I too am gluten free and have had the same experience on 3 other celebrity ships. Very accommodating. Lucious desserts. As long as you tell wait staff prior to ordering. Great gluten free pizza and pasta on buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

This was heartening to read. We are thinking about cruising Celebrity for the first time. We have always cruised Azamara and they have spoiled me with how they look after my gluten free issues.  The chefs in the 2 specialty restaurants change the entrees to accommodate my needs and their souffles are almost all gluten free.  We are trying to branch out and what I've read makes me feel much better.

Thank you all for sharing,

Alice

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on The Solstice....cruising New Zealand. Blu has been accommodating for gluten free. Most items in the buffet are NOT MARKED with dietary notations (ie gluten free). Everything I asked about was indeed gluten free but there were NO NOTATIONS on the signs. I explain in detail in my post “Dine Aware Be Aware”. Disappointed. 

• 6 months later...

I had trouble with their signage on my first cruise.  I found things labelled GF but then it appeared to be the same brownies on the regular line.  It was hard to trust the signage.  

My allergies are more complicated so most of the GF stuff I couldn't have as I also can't have dairy or corn. 

I did get GF bread at dinner (most nights it was raisin bread) which made very little sense as they had plain bread down in the buffet which would have been better at dinner time.

I also had fries made one time at the buffet but it was a long process to get them.  I had to talk to a manager then they had to cut and cook them in new oil.  I think it took about 30 minutes, but they were so good.

Dessert every night was sorbet.  The next day it was the same flavour in the buffet.  Was hoping that one night they could have made apple crumble or something.

1 hour ago, rsquirrel said:

I had trouble with their signage on my first cruise.  I found things labelled GF but then it appeared to be the same brownies on the regular line.  It was hard to trust the signage.  

My allergies are more complicated so most of the GF stuff I couldn't have as I also can't have dairy or corn. 

I did get GF bread at dinner (most nights it was raisin bread) which made very little sense as they had plain bread down in the buffet which would have been better at dinner time.

I also had fries made one time at the buffet but it was a long process to get them.  I had to talk to a manager then they had to cut and cook them in new oil.  I think it took about 30 minutes, but they were so good.

Dessert every night was sorbet.  The next day it was the same flavour in the buffet.  Was hoping that one night they could have made apple crumble or something.

I have celiac, and when I cruised on Carnival, it was so bad, that I actually lost weight.  When we switched to X it was night and day different.  I never had a problem at all.    I mentioned on the first night that I loved and missed chocolate cake.  The next night, our waiter brought me Chocolate cake.  He told me that they made it for me and any time I wanted a piece, to let someone know, and they would bring me a piece.  Needless to say I had Cake almost every night for dessert.   I know the Dairy and corn allergy makes it so much more difficult for you.  Can you eat the macaroons from the coffee shop?  I can understand Sorbet getting old after a while.  =(

I could eat macaroons if I liked coconut.  Unfortunately, I don't like coconut that much maybe fresh but not dried.  Same with raisins I really don't like them in my food, I can eat them on their own.

I found out about chia seed pudding so I have been making that as a treat at home.

I did not gain weight last year (I probably lost a bit, I just don't keep track).  We did the 7 night cruise and then a few more nights in San Diego before coming home.  Eating at the San Diego Zoo was interesting.  I think I lived on oatmeal as they had nothing I could eat.  Oh and I had oatmeal everyday for breakfast at our hotel since I wouldn't touch the hard boiled eggs that had been shelled and left in a bin in the fridge (there were no tongs or anything to pick them up with).

I know I'm a challenge for them.  I can't even eat raw veggies other than leafy ones.  At least half of the fruits also have to be cooked or dried or have something done to change the chemical make up.  After seeing a Naturopath he said I should be okay with eating raw veggies, he was wrong.  My allergy to peas went from itchy eyes to almost Anaphylaxis.  I was so close to calling 911 but then the Benedryl kicked in.  I haven't even looked at cooked peas since last summer when I tried raw peas.

The Naturopath did tell me to stop eating wheat, dairy and corn.  That cleared up my lungs and I no longer have asthma attacks when breathing in the smallest amount of smoke.  I know I did get a bit of dairy and possibly corn when on my trip last year but I never needed my inhalers.  So worth eating like this over the asthma attacks and always worrying about smokers.  I haven't had to use my inhalers in over a year.  Also the first trip I didn't need to go to First Aid or go for a ride in an Ambulance in quite a few years.