Insurance - Worse case scenario

shanecindy21403

We have the Princess upgraded plan and are booked for a cruise in January. There is a small possibility my husband may not be able to go but we won't know for sure until about 2 weeks prior. I still plan to go. How does that play out?

Do I call and cancel him and get charged for a single supplement? The cruise is already paid in full. Or do I just show up without him and then file an insurance claim? Anybody with any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I've never had this happen before, but my guess is that you won't be able to recoup from the insurance company. Cabins are sold with pricing for two occupants. A single occupant pays the singles supplement. If you cancel him out beforehand after final payment date, for either a covered or non-covered reason, then you're going to get charged the supplement. If you show up without him and file a claim, it gets denied by the insurance company (I'm assuming a non-covered reason). That kicks it back to Princess. And I can't see them issuing a future cruise credit in these circumstances. I would call Princess and ask, and I'd call more than once and ask more than one person. If you're not past final payment date (regardless of whether the cruise is paid for or not) then it might be best to cancel before final payment date.

The only insurance claim you can file is if you bought cancel for any reason .Then you file before the cruise for your husband only ;as cancel for any reason & get most of his fare back :)

If you bought regular insurance ,you can only file if he is ill & then the insurance company will wonder why you went on the cruise & left him behind ?

We have the Princess upgraded plan and are booked for a cruise in January. There is a small possibility my husband may not be able to go but we won't know for sure until about 2 weeks prior. I still plan to go.

upgraded plan includes "cancel for any reason"

won't know for sure until 2 weeks prior - pretty sure that means after the final payment date...

but, hey...we've never had to use the platinum level insurance from Princess, so what do I know by reading the first post, huh?;p

but, hey...we've never had to use the platinum level insurance from Princess, so what do I know by reading the first post, huh?;p

It's an interesting scenario, isn't it? I have used the platinum insurance from Princess to cancel at the last minute, but it was both of us canceling. Non-covered reason, which was denied by the insurance company and kicked back to Princess. Princess issued each of us an account credit of the cruise portion of total paid. They'd already refunded taxes and port charges. But would they issue an account credit in this case or would they take the stance that the single supplement applies and deny the credit? Hard to say. I've read through the cruise insurance documentation, but I don't remember anything about a scenario like this.

Yes since it's the upgraded plan it has the cancel for any reason. It's just that I still plan to go without him. Someone I had talked to said if I cancel ahead of time said he'll get a FCC but then they'd want me to pay the single supplement. But if I wait and go all by myself and then he can file a claim that he didn't make the cruise. I was hoping someone else has had this scenario happen to them.

I have sort of been there... We had two cabins booked and paid for in full. Only three of four of us could travel. If we had canceled the fourth person, we would have lost that fare PLUS had to pay the single supplement for the third person.

It was a very wise woman on CC who advised us to just show up and tell the check in people that the fourth person was not traveling that day.

We did exactly that. We did not recoup their fare, but we did not lose it and have to pay a single supplement. It was the best we could do under the circumstances.

What I really hope for you is that your DH will be able to go and you have the most wonderful vacation!

I agree with Tracie. With “cancel for any reason” and a non-covered reason, you’ll receive a refund in the amount of the cruise fare (not including the cost of insurance) as a CREDIT towards a future cruise. Unless it’s a covered reason, such as medical, you will not receive a refund. Just a credit.

If I remember correctly with Princess cancel for any reason, unless it is a covered reason, you have to cancel before the cruise. So I suspect you are going to pay either the single supplement and get his fare minus insurance back as an FCC which must be used in one year. Or you do nothing and have him be a no show and get nothing back, but have no more out of pocket. I would do the no show route, or both cancel and do another cruise within the year.

If it was for a covered reason they would refund his fare and cover the solo supplement. No such luck on a non covered reason invoking the cancel for and reason.

By canceling and getting the FCC you would be paying a third fare and getting it back as an fcc.

What Tracie and Pam said. The CFAR coverage of the insurance would apply as a credit to your husband...IF he cancels before the cruise but then you are charged cash for the single supplement. Better he be a no-show and you don’t pay any more out of pocket.

You will have to choose between: 1) Getting his fare back as credit or 2) you cruising solo for the same rate as you have paid. You cannot get both.

Not sure if this will help or not, but I was told by another insurance company that Florida residents (I am assuming that you are) can cancel trip insurance up to the day of sailing and get the premium back. I cancelled before final payment on a cruise and I did get full premium back. If you are going to go anyways, why not cancel his insurance and just show up? I hear from most solos this is the best route to go. You shouldn't be charged for his port and taxes then.

Have a great cruise.

Important to note that Princess Vacation Protection (PVP) refunds your cancellation fee not your cruise fare. So you can't just "no-show" and then file. You have to cancel.

Based on the brochure, it looks like you should

1) cancel your husband's cruise (can be done as late as 2 days before - - but have a good reason (see below about notification of cancellation "as soon as reasonably possible".

2) File a claim for the single supplement

That's the way I read it anyway.....

Following is from the PVP Platinum Brochure:

Princess Cancellation Fee Waiver refunds are also provided if

you are charged a change in occupancy/single supplement

charge as a result of your traveling companion’s cancellation

due to one of the reasons cited above.

IMPORTANT: Please advise your travel agent, Princess

Cruises and/or Princess Tours and the Program Administrator

as soon as possible in the event of cancellation. Refunds will not be provided for additional charges incurred that would

have not been charged had you notified these parties as soon

as reasonably possible.

Based on the brochure, it looks like you should

1) cancel your husband's cruise (can be done as late as 2 days before - - but have a good reason (see below about notification of cancellation "as soon as reasonably possible".

2) File a claim for the single supplement...

This idea only works if the reason for cancellation is a Covered Reason, not if the husband cancels for Any Reason. Cindy has been talking about using the Any Reason benefit.

If he cancels it would be due to work. I'm assuming that isn't a covered reason. Unfortunately he's not retired as of yet. I just got lucky lol and got to retire early. He may be able to join me at the first port depending on his flight back but I know that is against the PVSA rules. So we were figuring if he was gonna be late I'd just go solo.

If he cancels it would be due to work. I'm assuming that isn't a covered reason. Unfortunately he's not retired as of yet. I just got lucky lol and got to retire early. He may be able to join me at the first port depending on his flight back but I know that is against the PVSA rules. So we were figuring if he was gonna be late I'd just go solo.

You would lose less if both of you cancel, then rebook another cruise that you can both go on with the fcc.

If his employer originally approved the time off, and are now requiring him to work, any chance they will reimburse his loss on his fare. Prior to my retirement my employer did that once when I had to cancel a trip due to work issues.

If you both have CFAR it may be worth checking what prices are now; you may be better to both claim the CFAR, and then use your credit and pay the difference for the solo supplement on your room. Whether that's worth considering depends on the prevailing rates though.