Over the top on the Maasdam ..........

OlsSalt

Topless sunbathing isn't nude sunbathing nor is it clothing optional.

I personally wouldn't do it because of the sunburn risk, but then again I don't sunbathe in any case.

It is no big deal if someone else wishes to do it and I am glad that HAL has made it possible for those who wish to do so.

Travel is suppose to be a change to learn, see or do something new. If one doesn't want anything to be different than home, then stay home.

some people are travellers and some are tourists.

And HAL is NOT a North American cruise line. They sail to a lot of different places (isn't that one of the reasons a lot of us like their ships?) If you are going to visit other cultures and have others on board (who are usually very charming) you need to expect to see other cultures.

so my take.....you can be a traveller and go with the flow or you can be a tourist and complain.

I prefer to be a traveller.

Edited by kazu

I’m as prudish as they come, but hey, they are only boobs. I know the area to avoid if I so choose. Clothing optional in ONLY one area of the ship. Just one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But why not pick a non-public access area for this activity? This is a very public area. It is a major inconvenience to avoid it due to our own cabin location, as well as a surprise for those looking over the aft pool deck for a view of the wake.

I think HAL was unreasonable to make this option in such a public location that is not well noticed or screened.

And HAL is NOT a North American cruise line. They sail to a lot of different places (isn't that one of the reasons a lot of us like the?) If you are going to visit other cultures and have others on board (who are usually very charming)

so my take.....you can be a traveller and go with the flow or you can be a tourist and complain.

Nonsense response. Why shouldn't these HAL passengers (aka travelers) go with our flow and prior expectations there is no public nudity? HAL might go to many places but the ship headquarters and the passenger base are primarily Northern American. (Read your CCL Annual Report).

Considering the length of discussions about smoking, Gala Night and wine policies, slipping public nudity into the mix with no notice is unacceptable. They warn you if you will have an obstructed view or a a view of the lifeboats. Why not warn you before making a cabin choice you will be viewing topless sun bathers - and who knows what else as this clothing-optional barrier has now been broken.

Save your preaching for someone else, kazu. Why choose the verandah deck for this activity. Use you verandah if this is your choice. Or use the ocean view decks if only the ocean view "travelers" demand this option to take over a previously public location. There are other public locations that can serve all people - that can be screened from inadvertent public view and are non-public transit routes between decks.

They should stay on their balcony?

But why not pick a non-public access area for this activity? This is a very public area. It is a major inconvenience to avoid it due to our own cabin location, as well as a surprise for those looking over the aft pool deck for a view of the wake.

I think HAL was unreasonable to make this option in such a public location that is not well noticed or screened.

[quote=OlsSalt;57055796}

When did clothing optional in public spaces become HAL policy?

And there you go. I don't give a poo abt who wants to show their ta-tas to the free world but I would like some warning. And if I had a cabin that overlooked said ta-tas, the aforementioned warning would be quite important.

And not to be sexist, I apply this rule to the "Gentleman's Dept" as well.

Nonsense response. Why shouldn't these HAL passengers (aka travelers) go with our flow and prior expectations there is no public nudity? HAL might go to many places but the ship headquarters and the passenger base are primarily Northern American. (Read your CCL Annual Report).

Considering the length of discussions about smoking, Gala Night and wine policies, slipping public nudity into the mix with no notice is unacceptable. They warn you if you will have an obstructed view or a a view of the lifeboats. Why not warn you before making a cabin choice you will be viewing topless sun bathers - and who knows what else as this clothing-optional barrier has now been broken.

Save your preaching for someone else, kazu. Why choose the verandah deck for this activity. Use you verandah if this is your choice. Or use the ocean view decks if only the ocean view "travelers" demand this option to take over a previously public location. There are other public locations that can serve all people - that can be screened from inadvertent public view and are non-public transit routes between decks.

I think you are the one preaching Old Salt.

And MY opinion is mine and I am free to give it and you have no right to call it nonsense.

if anything, I would say you are showing your true colours here.

enough said. Have a great cruise.

I only see one person preaching on this thread and it isn’t Kazu.

• Like 1

And HAL is NOT a North American cruise line. They sail to a lot of different places (isn't that one of the reasons a lot of us like their ships?) If you are going to visit other cultures and have others on board (who are usually very charming) you need to expect to see other cultures.

Excellent post!!

A topic I have never seen come up on CC before - Maasdam now has a public topless sun-bathing deck - aft deck 9 in full public view from the aft deck 10- Navigation - aft pool railing, as well as anyone transiting to the Lido from Deck 9 aft corridors.

Presumably the sign you mention is on the door to the "topless" deck. Hardly an inconvenience to transit to the Lido via the interior stairs after reading the sign.

......there could be other areas on ship that are not public thoroughfare areas that could accommodate this activity, without forcing others to be unwilling or unwitting witnesses. The two aft-wrap cabins on Deck Nine (220 and 205) look directly across this topless sun bathing deck preventing using these cabin decks for taking photos or just enjoying their more expansive 180 degree viewing options.

Is there no panel/barrier between your balcony, and the remainder of the deck the sunbathers would be using? So when you are on your balcony you are forced to see topless sunbathing? And anyone on that deck would have unfettered access to your veranda door?

Should those who want to engage in topless sunbathing be confined to reserving verandah deck cabins only. If those in ocean view cabins are the ones demanding topless bathing, should this topless deck be confined to the lower ocean view cabin decks only. ......

Wow, that is a huge leap, that it is only people in OV cabins who are "demanding" topless sunbathing. I suppose you mean that the topless demanders should be using the "Crew Only" decks lower in the ship? Seems like a bit of classism is influencing that thinking....

Someone said it much better than I ever could:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can not be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime."

-- Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)

Edited to add: That "one little corner" can just as easily be mental.

For el recordo in this "getting more interesting as well as entertaining by the minute" thread; HAL is a British/American owned, North-American-based cruise line/company whose cruise vessels are all registered in Rotterdam (the 2nd city in the Netherlands after Amsterdam :D and 's Gravenhage ;p), Holland

North America is home to more than the US. In other parts of North America you can walk the beaches topless. Mexican beaches are open and not just for adults only. Here in Ontario, Canada, a woman can walk down the middle of the street topless if she so chooses, as well as at the beach.

If you find this so offensive, why not simply select another stateroom? 220 is a lovely location, we’ve enjoyed it on two occasions, but it’s not the “end all and be all”.

As sapper said, “much ado about nothing”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North America is home to more than the US. In other parts of North America you can walk the beaches topless. Mexican beaches are open and not just for adults only. Here in Ontario, Canada, a woman can walk down the middle of the street topless if she so chooses, as well as at the beach.

The majority of HAL guests seem to be from US or Canada. I didn't know topless was a "thing" in Ontario, Canada. I learn something new every day.

For el recordo in this "getting more interesting as well as entertaining by the minute" thread; HAL is a British/American owned, North-American-based cruise line/company whose cruise vessels are all registered in Rotterdam (the 2nd city in the Netherlands after Amsterdam :D and 's Gravenhage ;p), Holland

I thought HAL was/is owned by Carnival Corp (CCL) which is a publicly held corporation chartered in Panama.