Over the top on the Maasdam ..........

OlsSalt

hahaha....this is hilarious! With the average age of HAL people I would think that most women would look much better in a bathing suit rather than going topless.....I know I certainly would.

Yes, dh laughed about this exact thing. Gotta wonder....

I thought HAL was/is owned by Carnival Corp (CCL) which is a publicly held corporation chartered in Panama.
Chartered in and headquartered in are two different things. Look at all the US companies chartered in Delaware, for example.

Copper 10-8, do you know whether this is going to be a fleet-wide thing? And are you going to be on the Grand Asia this month?

Negative on both Ma'am (but I will find out) and enjoy that Grand Asia trip! It's a very nice one! The Great Wall is amazing, as are the DMZ in South Korea and all Japanese ports! :D

The majority of HAL guests seem to be from US or Canada. I didn't know topless was a "thing" in Ontario, Canada. I learn something new every day.

Only if you are doing the Caribbean or Alaska, otherwise, you will find a LOT of other nationalities on board.

We've met some great Dutch passengers on our cruises, and from France. The nationality list goes on. It''s definitely not a "North American environment" in Europe and having done the South Pacific, I can say the same.

So, no, the majority of passengers on board are not always North American. And actually we can be in the minority at times. And, we are better off for it having met a lot of lovely people over time :)

I’m not bothered by the topless area. To each their own. I would, however, have expected some sort of notice from HAL if my stateroom overlooked said area so I could make an informed decision.

I too think that is a reasonable request. Sunbathing habits the great wide world over are very varied and the European and apparently Canadian norm is certainly not the norm worldwide. Some rules and guidelines on the part of HAL would be nice if only to prepare guests and help them plan.

I guess it doesn't fit so well with OP's endorsement of HAL as being the "midwestern" line of the Carnival fleet?

Personally, I enjoy thinking of HAL evolving into a more sophisticated and global line, given her wide range of itineraries around the globe.

I have no issue at all with this change.

Neither do I. They are definitely trying to appeal to more demographics.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First the announcement this past week of the new Rolling Stone Rock Room venue rollout, & now the yet-unconfirmed possible addition of recognized “topless” sunbathing areas. If this latest development rings true then HAL is definitely looking towards broadening their appeal horizon for the next generation(s) of HAL clients. And some current HAL clients too. [emoji6]

And I do agree, in our travels most of the folks that choose to take their clothes off to sunbathe in public should probably keep them on. However, if you don't want to see it? Easy, don't look! Don't like a certain type of music? Easy, don't go to the venue! Don't like a certain food or the way it's served? Easy, don't eat it! Vacation days are so precious to us as we are still working. If you can't find a space, meal or music that is comfortable for you on a HAL ship, then you are most likely just an uncomfortable person to begin with.

That seems to be a fairly small area of deck space. I don't know how visible it would be generally.

On our gay charters there is always a clothing optional deck, usually the highest and most isolated deck. On dam ships that is the deck above the Crow's Nest. Now it is more acceptable amongst the gay community to have clothing optional options. It is identified as such, everyone knows it is there. There are usually a few gawkers and there are people that would never think of setting foot on that deck. Which all works out OK.

Just to dispel a few a few myths:

The vast majority of people that enjoy being nude are not exhibitionists.

The vast majority of people that enjoy being nude are not so hung up on body image, they usually accept themselves just as they are.

The vast majority of people that enjoy being nude are not perverts.

The vast majority of people that enjoy being nude are not overly judgemental on how other people look.

We've booked 220 for a 40 day Australian circumnavigation cruise next October. It will be interesting to see if this policy is still in effect by then. If it is, that's cool as long as they don't mind us taking a picture with a zoom lens if we see a picturesque sight off the starboard side. We booked that specific cabin as we love aft-facing cabins and it was the closest we could get to one on the Maasdam.

We've booked 220 for a 40 day Australian circumnavigation cruise next October. It will be interesting to see if this policy is still in effect by then. If it is, that's cool as long as they don't mind us taking a picture with a zoom lens if we see a picturesque sight off the starboard side. We booked that specific cabin as we love aft-facing cabins and it was the closest we could get to one on the Maasdam.
A photographh like this one! I took it from the balcony of cabin 220, shooting toward the starboard side of the ship to photograph the Veendam, which was in port with us in Bar Harbor.

20150828_171427-M.jpg

Edited by Cruise_More_Often

LOL, great topic and discussion.

Every cruise has a bunch of boobs on it. Some you see and some you don't. Now you may see a few more!

Personally I'd rather they have another specialty restaurant. But that's just me.

Only if you are doing the Caribbean or Alaska, otherwise, you will find a LOT of other nationalities on board.

We've met some great Dutch passengers on our cruises, and from France. The nationality list goes on. It''s definitely not a "North American environment" in Europe and having done the South Pacific, I can say the same.

So, no, the majority of passengers on board are not always North American. And actually we can be in the minority at times. And, we are better off for it having met a lot of lovely people over time :)

Certainly there are travelers from around the world on HAL ships. The cruise director always at some point announces how many there are from this and that country. I've been on HAL ships in every part of the world, and the top two groups of passengers have always been, by a large margin, U.S. and Canada. I'm really surprised to hear an opinion that the majority are not North American.

Certainly there are travelers from around the world on HAL ships. The cruise director always at some point announces how many there are from this and that country. I've been on HAL ships in every part of the world, and the top two groups of passengers have always been, by a large margin, U.S. and Canada. I'm really surprised to hear an opinion that the majority are not North American.

One of the few HAL voyages where that might be the case are the cruises up north from Amsterdam. Lots and lots of "cloggies" on those. Otherwise it's still majority Yanks and Canucks like you stated