Disappointed Celebrity

Cockatoos

Last week we decided to book a cruise last minute when we saw one of our favourite Aqua Class cabins available. Because the cruise is at the end of October we paid in full and took advantage of the Bev Package offer. To our surprise a day or two after we booked a new offer of pick two - Bev Package, OBC, or Internet- was offered for the exact same price as we had booked.

After several calls to ask if we could have OBC given it was the same price our request has been declined. This has left a bad taste in our mouths! We have seen on this site that Celebrity will match price changes etc if you call them, but they are now playing hard line.

Disappointed Celebrity, we have been loyal customers, we have two back to back cruises booked in the Caribbean, also Aqua Class, early next year and almost Elite + members. We highly recommend Celebrity to friends and family who are thinking of cruising. But will reconsider our options now (2 more cruises to go) and in the future.

Since you are a long time cruiser, and I assume with cruiselines other than Celebrity, you're aware that after final payment all bets are off. This is the way most cruiselines operate. You pick your cruise, your cabin and your perk, which you were obviously happy with at the time. Yes, it can be frustrating when the price decreases or extra perks are offered, but you knew that going in. Sometimes the price goes up and no perks are offered and you got the great deal in that case. It happens all the time, both ways. Just because Celebrity gave someone OBC in the past does not mean it's a policy. If I were you, I'd speak to someone else, perhaps Captain's Club, and plead your case. If it's still a no go, then forget about it and move on. Not worth letting it impact your enjoyment of your cruise.

That stinks. But, it is after final payment. It's all in the timing. Since you waited until after final payment I hope you got a good deal to begin with.

We all know the rules. If you were happy with the price before the sale then you should still be happy. But I understand, I might get a little miffed too :)

Since you are a long time cruiser, and I assume with cruiselines other than Celebrity, you're aware that after final payment all bets are off. This is the way most cruiselines operate. You pick your cruise, your cabin and your perk, which you were obviously happy with at the time. Yes, it can be frustrating when the price decreases or extra perks are offered, but you knew that going in. Sometimes the price goes up and no perks are offered and you got the great deal in that case. It happens all the time, both ways. Just because Celebrity gave someone OBC in the past does not mean it's a policy. If I were you, I'd speak to someone else, perhaps Captain's Club, and plead your case. If it's still a no go, then forget about it and move on. Not worth letting it impact your enjoyment of your cruise.

Sounds like sage advice, especially the part about calling captains club or maybe resolutions department.

I've heard you can possibly angle for a better cabin if you find one that is priced slightly higher than what you paid, but no discounting after final payment. Think about it. If they did that, everyone would call in and get their cabins reduced. They will lower prices and offer perks with the purpose of selling out the ship, so I don't usually look at prices after final payment. I'd rather remain blissfully unaware.

That said, our last cruise was after the 2017 hurricane season. Celebrity had rerouted our itinerary 3 or 4 times. I figured there must be lots of cancellations so I peeked at the prices. Yikes, I was sorry I did. But what could I do? When I purchased the cruise, I was happy with the price and the perks and I liked the revised itinerary more than the original. C'est la vie!

Edited by Marelaine

I'm a long time loyal Celebrity cruiser too. I booked an October Transatlantic late in the game as well and the full cost was due upon booking. A few days later, they instituted a guarantee that could have saved me $1000. I was well aware that these kinds of things are possible after final payment.

I got the cabin I wanted at a price I was willing to pay and although it's annoying , it's part of the game. It was my decision to pull the trigger when I did. There was also the possibility that had I waited I wouldn't have been able to book the category I wanted. Not that it matters but since you mentioned it as a reason they should give you credit, I'm a Zenith CC member.

I assume the OP got a good deal booking that late, but now there is a ‘better deal’. I really don’t see the complaint. The OP agreed to what they believe was acceptable. And Celebrity doesn’t match changes. If it did, it wouldn’t have close-to-cruise sales would it.

There have been a few posts saying Celebrity has modified their contract, which is what we are talking about, after the fact, but it isn’t standard by any means. And the very limited cases that posters report it occurred, are unusual cases.

Give Celebrity a call, but the OP is being treated as all of us normally are. And that’s why I don’t check on prices after final payment. Trust me (well, I wouldn’t....), there is someone onboard all our cruises who got a ‘better deal’ then we got. And if you insist on asking around, you’ll find out for sure.

And that’s why I normally don’t join in on threads that talk about what people pay, or some deal they got after final payment that no one else got, etc. Personnally, I don’t think many of them are legit. No matter what someone says they paid, someone will insist they got a better deal, and there’s a better than even chance they aren’t even on the cruise.

Den

By booking when you did at the price you did you got a ‘favourite Aqua Class cabin’. If you had waited a bit longer incase a better deal had come up then you could have missed out on that. You may have saved more but had to compromise on your room choice.

My glass is always half full....

By booking when you did at the price you did you got a ‘favourite Aqua Class cabin’. If you had waited a bit longer incase a better deal had come up then you could have missed out on that. You may have saved more but had to compromise on your room choice.

Exactly.

That, in your case is absolutely true. I remember your positive attitude during the airport closing winter storm in Philadelphia that impacted your pre cruise travel plans and how well your attitude stood you and your family through all the changes. It's so much easier going through life with that mindset rather than the mindset of looking for injustice. OP booked a cruise they liked at a cost they found acceptable with perks they liked in a favored cabin. Be happy.

That, in your case is absolutely true. I remember your positive attitude during the airport closing winter storm in Philadelphia that impacted your pre cruise travel plans and how well your attitude stood you and your family through all the changes. It's so much easier going through life with that mindset rather than the mindset of looking for injustice. OP booked a cruise they liked at a cost they found acceptable with perks they liked in a favored cabin. Be happy.

My glass is near to overflowing....this time next week we are on Eclipse! I promise to raise my first champagne glass to those of you on CC whose good will and advice kept us going through those pre cruise dramas in March! With a two day cushion pre cruise in Barcelona hopefully it will be a much less stressful start to our cruise, my posh frock may even get an airing!

OP sorry for side tracking your post!

It seems the OP is not complaining about the price - but the fact that 2 days after they booked, Celebrity offered 2 perks instead of 1-for the same price. Unfortunately, this does happen, but there is nothing that can be done about it at this point. Timing is everything.

Last week we decided to book a cruise last minute when we saw one of our favourite Aqua Class cabins available. Because the cruise is at the end of October we paid in full and took advantage of the Bev Package offer. To our surprise a day or two after we booked a new offer of pick two - Bev Package, OBC, or Internet- was offered for the exact same price as we had booked. After several calls to ask if we could have OBC given it was the same price our request has been declined. This has left a bad taste in our mouths! We have seen on this site that Celebrity will match price changes etc if you call them, but they are now playing hard line. Disappointed Celebrity, we have been loyal customers, we have two back to back cruises booked in the Caribbean, also Aqua Class, early next year and almost Elite + members. We highly recommend Celebrity to friends and family who are thinking of cruising. But will reconsider our options now (2 more cruises to go) and in the future.
You write that after booking and paying in full, the offered perks changed a day or two later. Try submitting the Best Price Guarantee form at the bottom of the Celebrity Cruises homepage.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/best-price-guarantee

Looks like you might qualify under "request to add or change an added value offer" as long as the change was within 48 hours of your booking.