Wife can't drink due to surgery, will NCL refund her service fees/taxes for UBP

Lupush

Sorry guys I know this has been asked many times on the boards, just wanted to see if anyone has any recent experiences with it.

My wife recently had a major surgery that will prevent her from drinking anything but water per Doctor's orders for at least 6 months. We are booked on the Bliss sailing December 8th. Is there any chance that NCL will refund the taxes and service fees that I paid on her UBP (with Doc note of course)?

Thanks all in advance for your help!

You can change the perk(s) you select, and yes they will refund the service charge. I did exactly that for a Nov. cruise, I switched from the UBP to the UDP and was refunded the difference in the service charges.

You can change your perks up until two weeks before sailing I believe, or so I've read on another board. Just call NCL or your travel agent, no medical proof needed.

Sorry guys I know this has been asked many times on the boards, just wanted to see if anyone has any recent experiences with it.

My wife recently had a major surgery that will prevent her from drinking anything but water per Doctor's orders for at least 6 months. We are booked on the Bliss sailing December 8th. Is there any chance that NCL will refund the taxes and service fees that I paid on her UBP (with Doc note of course)?

I don't know the answer, but I hope she feels better :)

You can change the perk(s) you select, and yes they will refund the service charge. I did exactly that for a Nov. cruise, I switched from the UBP to the UDP and was refunded the difference in the service charges.

You can change your perks up until two weeks before sailing I believe, or so I've read on another board. Just call NCL or your travel agent, no medical proof needed.

I believe that the OP wants to keep the UBP for one guest and remove it for the other guest.

I believe that the OP wants to keep the UBP for one guest and remove it for the other guest.

agreed and this wont be allowed , I am not doubting the OP is telling the truth but many out there are dishonest and would use this opportunity to save money and get drinks for the person not on the plan, which is why they require both t have it

Oh ok, well in that case best to call and ask. I am doubtful that they will allow it to be removed for just one guest. If not, then the OP needs to figure out if it's financially worth it for him to keep it or choose another perk.

It cannot be removed for one guest, both guests must either have it or not have it. You can actually change your "perk" selection up until 2 days before you sail. The service charge on the beverage package will be credited back to the credit card you paid with.

Op, first I wish your wife a speedy recovery.

For the UBP, I'd look at the cost of the UBP perk for both and do some math.

The UBP perk is approx. $250 for both of you. Considering the cost of each drink and totalling up how many drinks you expect to have it may still be more cost effective to keep the perk just as it is, although if you don't drink 4-5 drinks per day you may be better off going ala carte. JMO

My DH didn't drink any alcolol either yet it still worked out well keeping the perk.

The package allows for non alcoholic beverages like soda, juice and any mixers like seltzer or tonic water she could still get value out of the plan.

Keeping the perk costs $200 or so. If you are likely to spend that on beverages during a week long cruise it is worth it to keep the perk, relax and not count drinks. At $10 per drink 3 drinks a day would cover that. A pool side beer, wine with dinner and something in the lounge or at a show.

If you want the plan, keep it.

Edited by Nola26

If you cancel yours too they will, if not you have to pay it.

I read somewhere not too long ago that if the non-drinking person in the room has a letter from a physician that they cannot drink alcohol , that person is not required to purchase the drink package. (But it may have been with a different cruise line...) I'd absolutely contact your travel agent or NCL and ask about this. If NCL won't budge, consider buying drinks without the package.

No she couldn't as she can only drink plain water....so the plan is a total waste for her.

Actually he said water, the club soda and tonic water could count as water. Certainly the soft drinks and juices won't help, but those bubbly waters are part of the plan.

My real point is if he had about 3 drinks a day and wanted the plan the perk is still worthwhile. The fact that he was hoping for a refund of her fees suggested that he wanted the perk for himself. I offered a way from him to evaluate keeping it.

Personally, I don't drink alcohol so the plan is never a good deal for me. However, for many it is a highly valued perk that really adds to their vacation. Given that he's been supporting his wife through some serious health issues he's probably due some relaxation too. :halo::halo:

Since you have a doctor's note, maybe it might be worth it to try to email the special needs department to ask if they can allow an exception to the rule that both passengers need to be signed up for this package. Otherwise, I'd agree with the previous posters that you should switch your perk if it will be cheaper for you to order your drinks a la carte. Hope you have a great vacation.