Has anyone heard back from NCL after 9/9/18 sailing?

Wyoming2010

We never even got the survey.

We sent a letter -- nothing yet.

Sent the email we were advised to send, and the response was basically "no comp for anyone for anything".

My frustration comes in the fact that they did not refund our Nassau port fee, nor comp anything for the difference in price. Let's face it, paid a higher fare for the privilege of sailing to two ports and five sea days. We paid $412 in port fees, they returned $60 ($30 each) for Bermuda, so we basically paid $350 to port in Port Canaveral! That's just nuts.

My comparison comes in what other cruise lines did for their guests; so please don't lecture me about the contract we signed and it was hurricane season, yada yada yada. I know. Yes, the change in itinerary was disappointing, but we and the couple we were traveling with also had too many issues onboard with food (bones in all the fish dishes we got), food service (some very clueless waitstaff), our room steward and our room being filthy upon arrival (shades of Pride of America), internet not working consistently, and dining reservations being messed up and onboard account being wrong too many times. We spent way too much time in line at customer service to fix things! Too many problems when you're supposed to be on vacation and not taking care of business ;)

I am simply talking about good business practice and common decency to acknowledge the passenger experience and offer something that might keep us coming back. On that note, we won't be back to NCL, and I'm relieved as after 18 cruises, the only problems we've had on cruise were on the three we took with NCL :confused:

Just curious, did anyone else get any responses or offers or acknowledgement?

Edited by Wyoming2010

I like NCL....I like other cruise lines too. I agree with you on the port charges, they should be adjusted. Substituting Port Canaveral for Bermuda deserves consideration for sure.

Good luck, keep pressing. I would consider a hand written letter to the CEO's office.

I like NCL....I like other cruise lines too. I agree with you on the port charges, they should be adjusted. Substituting Port Canaveral for Bermuda deserves consideration for sure.

Good luck, keep pressing. I would consider a hand written letter to the CEO's office.

Thanks much. Sent letters to CEO, accounting and guest relations. We shall see.

Without doubt port fees for cancelled ports should be refunded. Perhaps another person on the same sailing can also explain why this did not happen.

No way NCL will give anything because of an amended itinerary.

What were you looking for because of poor service and bones in fish?

I am not flaming the OP but sporadic internet service, some clueless wait staff and a few mediocre meals sounds like every cruise I have been on. Of everything that can happen on a cruise, I would consider that a successful cruise.

Hope you get your port fees refunded.

Have you consulted the passenger contract that you signed?

I'll probably regret saying this, but...

What the passenger contract says, and what is advertised aren't even in the same universe. I get passenger safety is paramount and sometimes adjustments must be made to ports. In fact, not only do I get it, I appreciate it and I'm glad this is the case. However, no line should say, "Yeah well, contract merely says we have to transport you and feed you, everything else is optional."

Absolutely should have refunded the difference in port tax as OBC. We have had this happen before for missed ports but also if there was a change in port tax. It has ranged from a few dollars to over a hundred.

Unfortunately, Port Canaveral is NOT Bermuda but not much can be done about that but they needed to give the port tax back!!

Sent the email we were advised to send, and the response was basically "no comp for anyone for anything".

My frustration comes in the fact that they did not refund our Nassau port fee, nor comp anything for the difference in price. Let's face it, paid a higher fare for the privilege of sailing to two ports and five sea days. We paid $412 in port fees, they returned $60 ($30 each) for Bermuda, so we basically paid $350 to port in Port Canaveral! That's just nuts.

My comparison comes in what other cruise lines did for their guests; so please don't lecture me about the contract we signed and it was hurricane season, yada yada yada. I know. Yes, the change in itinerary was disappointing, but we and the couple we were traveling with also had too many issues onboard with food (bones in all the fish dishes we got), food service (some very clueless waitstaff), our room steward and our room being filthy upon arrival (shades of Pride of America), internet not working consistently, and dining reservations being messed up and onboard account being wrong too many times. We spent way too much time in line at customer service to fix things! Too many problems when you're supposed to be on vacation and not taking care of business ;)

I am simply talking about good business practice and common decency to acknowledge the passenger experience and offer something that might keep us coming back. On that note, we won't be back to NCL, and I'm relieved as after 18 cruises, the only problems we've had on cruise were on the three we took with NCL :confused:

I just got that same basic email

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are assuming there was a net greater negative difference in port fees than the amount you were refunded. There may or may not have been. The 'difference in price' is hypothetical at best. You are comparing the price of the original sailing to a hypothetical price for the itinerary you actually sailed, based of that itinerary on a differ date and perhaps even a different ship. Aside form all of that the cruise contract explicitly states, and we all agree to, the right that NCL has to change itinerary at any time for any reason with NO COMPENSATION DUE. What other cruise lines do or do not do is not relevant. BTW if you are not going to ever sail with NCL again what difference does it make if they do or do not give you credit for a future cruise? Oh wait, never mind!

BTW sorry your room steward was filthy. I've never had that happen!

Never gotten a survey - ever. Don't think that would matter much.

I've written one letter to a CEO in the last 25+ years and it was to NCL recently. They must have handed it off to an intern that can't read as they finally replied many weeks later with a letter talking about things not even related to the short and concise issue I wrote about. It also talked about them following up with me. Now four months later, that other department has not shared a word.

IMO - let it go.

Here in Miami, I actually know someone that worked on the NCL customer service complaint line. I told him he should write a book because the stories he told me were hilarious. There are endless calls with people demanding free cruises or full refunds with the most ridiculous reasons.

Some people think their complaint is more important than others. Don't get me wrong, there are sometimes very real and legitimate complaints.

On a giant ship with 4000 passengers there are going to be a few mishaps. Its part of any vacation or cruise. IMHO, a real complaint would be....cabin gets flooded and the cruise line does not let you move from your cabin. Or during your sailing pools and venues are closed because of construction.

Missed ports and changed itineraries always get people angry but the reasons why are just the nature of cruising. Would it disappoint me to miss Bermuda? Oh yes definitely. But I realize it would not be possible to go there and must adjust my attitude.

I am also surprised you only got back $30 pp for port fees. We have had more than that credited to our onboard account (but on CCL) when fees have dropped after final payment was made. I am sure NCL has been inundated with letters/complaints over the hurricane. If you do not hear by next week, send a certified letter to them. May be worth the postage for you.

Without doubt port fees for cancelled ports should be refunded. Perhaps another person on the same sailing can also explain why this did not happen.

No way NCL will give anything because of an amended itinerary.

What were you looking for because of poor service and bones in fish?

I am not flaming the OP but sporadic internet service, some clueless wait staff and a few mediocre meals sounds like every cruise I have been on. Of everything that can happen on a cruise, I would consider that a successful cruise.

Hope you get your port fees refunded.

I wasn't "looking" for anything. I can get fish at my diner and not find bones. For the four of us to not only find bones at every meal, but to find lobster shells in the bisque -- that's just not the norm nor acceptable in any way. Once or even twice I can let slide, but four different meals, not so much.

To each their own, but the four of us did not find this cruise relaxing in any way as we had to keep calling guest services or housekeeping or the waiter for something to be fixed, cleaned or replaced. It became exhausting. ;) Instead of vacationing, we were constantly trying to fix their problems. There was another thread started about someone who had a problem with their verandah door and a coupe of issues with their excursions -- and NCL gave them 25% back! So apparently their comp decisions are a little skewed in my opinion.

Edited by Wyoming2010

I'll probably regret saying this, but...

What the passenger contract says, and what is advertised aren't even in the same universe. I get passenger safety is paramount and sometimes adjustments must be made to ports. In fact, not only do I get it, I appreciate it and I'm glad this is the case. However, no line should say, "Yeah well, contract merely says we have to transport you and feed you, everything else is optional."

Thank you.

And I'll add I hope the mods close this thread like they did the previous one. It is time to let this go.

You don't have the right to request that just because you don't like the topic. My query was whether anyone has heard from NCL after their letters and emails were sent. It has to do with our particular cruise. No need to bash.