Tipping bartenders on 🚢

bauer

Neither does this former colonial. Tipping 18% for them to pour a coke out of a spigot or for getting a beer is absurd. Tipping addition money on top of the mandatory 18% tip makes me want to revolt.

Ā 

DON

Ā 

Ā 

America already had a very successful revolt :) Though it was a great many years ago, you may have hard of it. :) :D

Neither does this former colonial. Tipping 18% for them to pour a coke out of a spigot or for getting a beer is absurd. Tipping addition money on top of the mandatory 18% tip makes me want to revolt. DON
America already had a very successful revolt :) Though it was a great many years ago, you may have heard of it. :) :D

We agree on the benefits of tipping bartenders to encourage preferential service. If there is a bartender who impresses me I will slip them cash to ensure the good service continues for the remainder of the cruise. It works and not only on cruise ships.
say I like this philosophy. Although our friend across the pond would find this infuriating, I assure you that this type of behavior can only inspire the ambitions of striving youth whom seek to attain what we have, so that some day to they may be cruising the hi seas.

We agree on the benefits of tipping bartenders to encourage preferential service. If there is a bartender who impresses me I will slip them cash to ensure the good service continues for the remainder of the cruise. It works and not only on cruise ships.

Smacks of bribery to me. I tend to assume that people who are getting paid to do a job will do the job well anyway without further bribes; if they won't do a good job because they don't think basic salary is enough, then they ought to get a different job.

Ā 

Of course, American bar staff (they tell me) don't get paid a proper wage and rely on tips. That doesn't apply on cruise ships that sail out of the UK; I don't know about American ships. But if the 18% auto tip is a tip, then that is enough.

Coudn't be easier. Don'T tip if you do not wish to but you don't hAVE to tell the rest of us to nottip in order for you to not 'stand out' a s one who does not tip.

Just don't tip but please do not try to justify it.

I believe in bribery, I have been on a few cruises where bartender pours me my drink before I reach the bar, my problem is sometimes I switch drinks but will never complain about grea service,

It's not "bribery" in the truest sense but an incentive or facilitating payment. The bartender is going to serve you in any event but a few extra bucks helps ensure you get served first or your drink is waiting when you arrive. It is no different than paying the extra money for an expedited passport application or a fee to go to the front of the line at an event or attraction.

Smacks of bribery to me. I tend to assume that people who are getting paid to do a job will do the job well anyway without further bribes; if they won't do a good job because they don't think basic salary is enough, then they ought to get a different job.

Ā 

Of course, American bar staff (they tell me) don't get paid a proper wage and rely on tips. That doesn't apply on cruise ships that sail out of the UK; I don't know about American ships. But if the 18% auto tip is a tip, then that is enough.

That explains why I was paying 18.00 U S dollars (13 GBP) for a Tanqueray and tonic at a pub @ Hilton on Park Lane.

I find a bartender that gives me good service on the first full day of the cruise and will tip them $ 20 and another $20 beginning the second week if we hit it off personality wise.. This has always worked for getting better drinks and faster recognition at the bar and I believe they realize many cruisers will do this or something similar.

That auto 15% service charge is just considered as part of their expected regular pay now by some in my opinion.

Ā 

Ā 

It's not "bribery" in the truest sense but an incentive or facilitating payment. The bartender is going to serve you in any event but a few extra bucks helps ensure you get served first or your drink is waiting when you arrive. It is no different than paying the extra money for an expedited passport application or a fee to go to the front of the line at an event or attraction.

Ā 

My brother in law worked as a bartender at a Florida resort for almost a dozen years. He and his bar tender mates loved the pre-tippers. There were always a few who would slip them a bill, usually a twenty, sometimes a fifty, but almost always covertly, as if they were purchasing drugs or something that had to be kept secret. He said all the bartenders called them "suckers" and gladly took their money, knowing full well that the service they were going to give them would be no different than to all the other customers. He said it was fun watching them walk in with smug expressions as if they had arranged for preferential service, and he has no doubt that even though the service was no different than given to everyone else, they had convinced themselves that they were getting better service. He said every place he bar tended did the same thing.

Ā 

I get a chuckle every time reading posts from these entitled pre-tippers, knowing what my brother in law and the other bartenders think about such people, and how they had been scammed at their own game. :')

Edited by SantaFeFan

My brother in law worked as a bartender at a Florida resort for almost a dozen years. He and his bar tender mates loved the pre-tippers. There were always a few who would slip them a bill, usually a twenty, sometimes a fifty, but almost always covertly, as if they were purchasing drugs or something that had to be kept secret. He said all the bartenders called them "suckers" and gladly took their money, knowing full well that the service they were going to give them would be no different than to all the other customers. He said it was fun watching them walk in with smug expressions as if they had arranged for preferential service, and he has no doubt that even though the service was no different than given to everyone else, they had convinced themselves that they were getting better service. He said every place he bar tended did the same thing.

Ā 

I get a chuckle every time reading posts from these entitled pre-tippers, knowing what my brother in law and the other bartenders think about such people, and how they had been scammed at their own game. :')

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Plus 1.

Kind words and a nice attitude is all one really needs to get great service anywhere.

I get a chuckle watching people who arrived before me getting served after me.

I get a chuckle watching people who arrived before me getting served after me.

Ā 

Yeah, right. What ever you want to believe. A typical response of an "entitled" attitude who thinks that throwing money around will somehow make him more important than everyone else in order to get him to the front of the line ahead of everyone else. A self centered and antisocial personality in full view.

Edited by sloopsailor

Yeah, right. What ever you want to believe. A typical response of an "entitled" attitude who thinks that throwing money around will somehow make him more important than everyone else in order to get him to the front of the line ahead of everyone else. A self centered and antisocial personality in full view.

"Throwing money around" does not make one more important. It does get one better service more often than not.

"Throwing money around" does not make one more important. It does get one better service more often than not.

Ā 

Ā 

Sorry but, just so wrong. A front line service provider in the hospitality industry risks losing their job with "pay to play" behavior.

Again: all that is needed are kind words, a nice attitude, genuine interest in knowing about them (e.g., what you may have in common) and, the all important offer to write a note to their supervisor about any stellar service they provide. That will get you far better service than any up-front cheesy bribe.

We get around this ego contest by taking a table in the lounge where our favorite server whom we have already tipped, is working, ordering our drinks and relaxing to the music while waiting.

We are there to relax. Not compete or show off. A polite wave is all that is needed to get good service.

Edited by JMorris271

We get around this ego contest by taking a table in the lounge where our favorite server whom we have already tipped, is working, ordering our drinks and relaxing to the music while waiting.

We are there to relax. Not compete or show off. A polite wave is all that is needed to get good service.

Ā 

Then, why do you say you "whom we have already tipped" if a polite wave is all that is needed? :confused:

Says a lot about a person's character when they laugh at people ahead of them having to wait while their own ego is stroked first. :rolleyes:

Being served before you doesn't stroke my ego. It does however get my glass filled sooner. Your snide insults are not going to deter me from a practice that works more often than not.

Being served before you doesn't stroke my ego. It does however get my glass filled sooner. Your snide insults are not going to deter me from a practice that works more often than not.

Ā 

Hey, you are the one laughing at the people who have to wait for you to be served first because you, of course, are much more important than they are. Nothing snide or insulting about pointing out your boasting about your own selfishness. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

Then, why do you say you "whom we have already tipped" if a polite wave is all that is needed? :confused:

As I said in a previous post, Because We tip $20 to our server

after we decide who to use in the beginning. . Usually our server sometimes covers the bar. Then another $20 if we get consistent service.

That's why. I thought you read them all the post.

Edited by JMorris271

Hey, you are the one laughing at the people who have to wait for you to be served first because you, of course, are much more important than they are. Nothing snide or insulting about pointing out your boasting about your own selfishness. :rolleyes:

What makes me laugh even harder are judgmental prigs who become enraged when people of means avail themselves of the opportunity to upgrade their level of service. :D