Grandeur scheduled for drydock 3/16/2019.

Arzeena

That seems a bit long for a routine marine dry dock but with the trek to Freeport and the timing of the two cancelled sailings, I guess it makes sense.

For a 20+ year old ship, two weeks in the dock is pretty typical, plus 2 days each way, makes a three week gap in service about right. It gives them a few days of wiggle room.

What puzzles me is given the regulatory timelines for routine inspections, why does Royal offer cruises for sale over the entire period in question and not block 2-3 weeks when releasing itineraries?

Because they don't know when a dry dock capable of handling the ship will be available. Dry docks are very limited "real estate" and need to be booked well in advance, but even then, delays in dock for a ship scheduled ahead of your ship can cause a ripple effect on scheduling.

Because they don't know when a dry dock capable of handling the ship will be available. Dry docks are very limited "real estate" and need to be booked well in advance, but even then, delays in dock for a ship scheduled ahead of your ship can cause a ripple effect on scheduling.

But if you have to plan it well in advance you could also include it in the cruise schedule well in advance. Other cruise lines are able to manage this much better without that many cancelations. Of course this applies for the regular dry docks and not to urgent repairs. And for Grandeur size there are many suitable dry docks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So is the issue that cruise itineraries announced too far in advance to be able to book a dry dock?

Yes, there's a difference in business models between the cruise lines and the shipyards. And folks need to remember that cruise ships make up less than 5% of world's shipping, and so even though their dock periods tend to be more expensive than cargo ships, the gross revenue from cruise lines is not the main source for shipyards.

Just got off the phone with an agent at Royal I acted as if I wanted to book the March 16, 2019 cruise on Grandeur. He told me it was in a "code red" which means they are taking no bookings because it is scheduled for dry dock. I asked him about a time frame for notifying guests who are already booked and he told me there "really isn't any time frame" but I'm sure the notifications will be going out. :confused:

That's some real good information there.:mad: I don't want to cancel my cruise because they MAY offer something to switch to a different cruise, but I need some advance notice for my work schedule. Come on Royal, make some decisions here!!!

:mad: I don't want to cancel my cruise because they MAY offer something to switch to a different cruise, but I need some advance notice for my work schedule.

The problem is that there's very few similar sailings at that time and you'd have to go to Florida (unlikely they'll offer Anthem as a substitute).

DW and I are booked to sail on her on 28 March so now I'm very concerned. How many times do they actually finish on time? We just upgraded to a JS for a 9 day cruise.

That depends on how much wiggle room they design into the schedule. Sometimes the work is longer than the fixed weekly schedules, sometimes they will cancel more weeks than they actually need, and swallow the lost revenue or schedule some last minute short cruises.

I also spoke to them and no one seems to know exactly what is going on. You can not book this cruise due to dry dock. They do not seem to really know what is going on but you an still make payments. This same itinerary is offered on April 6, 2019. Hope this problem is solved real soon.

The problem is that there's very few similar sailings at that time and you'd have to go to Florida (unlikely they'll offer Anthem as a substitute).

You never know. There is a 7 night, an 8 night and a 12 night in that time period.

That depends on how much wiggle room they design into the schedule. Sometimes the work is longer than the fixed weekly schedules, sometimes they will cancel more weeks than they actually need, and swallow the lost revenue or schedule some last minute short cruises.
Or do like NCL and finish renos during the cruise.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Forums mobile app

As of this morning, the February 23rd sailing has also been removed from RCI website ...

Feb 23rd is still there on the RCI site. There are two dates listed for the 12 night- Feb 2 and Feb 23. You have to click on "view two dates" and they'll pop up on the side of the screen.

DW and I are booked to sail on her on 28 March so now I'm very concerned. How many times do they actually finish on time? We just upgraded to a JS for a 9 day cruise.

We are also on the 3/28 sailing and I would prefer not to be on a cruise right out of drydock.

We were on Enchantment out of Balt. right out of drydock. My allergies did not like all the fumes from new this and that plus the dust created doing remodeling. They did not have any fresh eggs until we got to PC!

Feb 23rd is still there on the RCI site. There are two dates listed for the 12 night- Feb 2 and Feb 23. You have to click on "view two dates" and they'll pop up on the side of the screen.

Missed that drop down on the date ... thanks for the correction.

Any confirmation on the 3/7 to 3/23 dates yet?