Voyage of the Vikings 2020

PCruzer

I just found the 2020 Voyage of the Vikings on the HAL Website. It leaves Boston on July 18, 2020. The ship is the Zaandam. Like so many things on the new HAL Website, I can't get anything else to load so can't find ports, pricing, etc.

I just found the 2020 Voyage of the Vikings on the HAL Website. It leaves Boston on July 18, 2020. The ship is the Zaandam. Like so many things on the new HAL Website, I can't get anything else to load so can't find ports, pricing, etc.

Here's how I do it. Find the VOV cruise you want, then click on "View Itinerary". When the next screen appears click on "List View" in the upper left hand corner. Once the next screen comes up, scroll down to past "Day 2" and click on "Read More". The entire day by day Itinerary will be listed.

Unfortunately, the cabin pricing doesn't appear to have loaded up yet on some of the itineraries. However, I'm sure they will be soon as HAL just got finished uploading these new itineraries early this morning. However, on other cruises like the Iberian one in Oct 2020 on the Rotterdam, we had no problem finding the prices and putting a hold on the cabin we wanted until we can contact our PCC on Monday.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Here's how I do it. Find the VOV cruise you want, then click on "View Itinerary". When the next screen appears click on "List View" in the upper left hand corner. Once the next screen comes up, scroll down to past "Day 2" and click on "Read More". The entire day by day Itinerary will be listed.

Unfortunately, the cabin pricing doesn't appear to have loaded up yet on some of the itineraries. However, I'm sure they will be soon as HAL just got finished uploading these new itineraries early this morning. However, on other cruises like the Iberian one in Oct 2020 on the Rotterdam, we had no problem finding the prices and putting a hold on the cabin we wanted until we can contact our PCC on Monday.

Hope this helps.

Funny, I just tried to find it on the HAL site and couldn't, but the big box website shows it at about the same price as this year's but doesn't show ports.

Here's the link to the July 2020 VOV cruise if this helps -

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/E0T35A/X047.html

Thank you so much for the link! I was able to view the ports and some shore excursions. The itinerary is very similar to the 2015 VoV....just different port order. This is my favorite HAL cruise. Contemplating repeating it in 2020.

I'm contemplating this for 2020 but cannot do the entire round trip. Is there any consensus as to which "half" is the better itinerary? I'm leaning toward the first part -- from Boston to Amsterdam.

Sailing east vs. west................. Would you prefer to gain or lose an hour on the voyage there or home?

Which ports do you not want to miss or really want to visit?

Edited by sail7seas

Sailing east vs. west................. Would you prefer to gain or lose an hour on the voyage there or home?

Which ports do you not want to miss or really want to visit?

The conventional wisdom, I know, is that it is more enjoyable to gain than to lose that hour every day, and if one sails west, one is closer to home at the end.

However, the ports appeal to me more on the eastward part.

I'm contemplating this for 2020 but cannot do the entire round trip. Is there any consensus as to which "half" is the better itinerary? I'm leaning toward the first part -- from Boston to Amsterdam.

We did Boston to Amsterdam in 2011. It’s still the best HAL cruise we have ever taken. They had the best of everyone (officers and crew) onboard.

That year we liked the itinerary better, and dates worked better. It included the overnight in Amsterdam on that leg as well as the opportunity to go to the Military Tattoo in Edinburgh. It also had more stops in Iceland (although one of the tender ports was skipped after an unsuccessful attempt at safely being able to tender people to shore).

That year the first leg was a couple of days shorter for us because it was already a day shorter than the second leg, plus with the overnight in Amsterdam we did not need a hotel since we were not staying there.

You have to decide after viewing the itinerary. That cruise is all about the ports due to the steep pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 5 months later...

We are contemplating this especially since the beverage package is included with this itinerary.  It does not seem the 2020 is popular as the 2019 itinerary.  I have always read where the VOV is so popular, and the pricing certainly reflects this.  Any thoughts about this itinerary versus others offered in the past?  Thanks.

If one wants the true "feel" of the original Viking cruise, go from East to West and be sure to include the stop at L'Anse Aux Meadows for the full effect.  

Both routes are wonderful - it really would be very hard to pick except for one thing which is impossible to determine up front - which timing is most likely to ensure you get the full passage through Prinz Christian Sound. It can be iced up "early". That remains the most spectacular and haunting part of the entire voyage.

But cruisemom, since you are a fan of "The Greenlanders" you really must include the Greenland stop (Qaqertoq-?) that allows you to visit the Viking Church runis site -which was on our West to East leg. Can't win and you can't lose on either choice -  but it still remains best to do both.

Zaandam is 20 years old in 2020.  After her drydock period & issue of new certificates she will no longer be "covered" for summer voyages into latitudes plus 60 degrees.  This does not include Iceland & Norwegian area due to the Gulf Stream.

Greenland & the Antarctic Peninsular will be out for those ships with the lowest current ice class like Zaandam. 

HAL may have another ship with certificates expiring in 2021, but after that the new law comes into force on 1st Jan. 2022.

Only newer expedition ships will have the the minimum Ice Class 6  -  post 1st Jan. 2020.

Here is a map of the new Polar Code area that comes into force on 1st Jan. 2022.

It effects all current vessels with Ice class like Zaandam, some other HAL vessels & cruise ships currently able to operate in these areas - as they drydock & renew there certificates.

Polar waters.png

On 3/10/2019 at 6:28 PM, SeaDog-46 said:

Here is a map of the new Polar Code area that comes into force on 1st Jan. 2022.

It effects all current vessels with Ice class like Zaandam, some other HAL vessels & cruise ships currently able to operate in these areas - as they drydock & renew there certificates.

Polar waters.png

Great information! Thanks for sharing! We're trying to figure out which cruise lines will have the Ice Class 6 certification after Jan 2022. Any ideas?

We're thinking one of Seabourn's new ships might be along probably with a Silversea ship as well as Crystal's new Endeavor. Unfortunately though, if HAL, Celebrity and/or Princess don't step up to the plate, we can see at least $1200 pp/day fares becoming the new Antarctica standard which is way more than we want to pay to see Antarctica again. But I guess time will tell. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Great information! Thanks for sharing! We're trying to figure out which cruise lines will have the Ice Class 6 certification after Jan 2022. Any ideas?

We're thinking one of Seabourn's new ships might be along probably with a Silversea ship as well as Crystal's new Endeavor. Unfortunately though, if HAL, Celebrity and/or Princess don't step up to the plate, we can see at least $1200 pp/day fares becoming the new Antarctica standard which is way more than we want to pay to see Antarctica again. But I guess time will tell. 

Hurtigruten  (Norway) was the lowest cost when we were looking for an Antarctic expedition ship - comes with some drawbacks -very basic, but they know their business. Assume but do not know,  due to the nature of their normal routes up and down Norway they can respond to ice.

10 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Hurtigruten  (Norway) was the lowest cost when we were looking for an Antarctic expedition ship - comes with some drawbacks -very basic, but they know their business. Assume but do not know,  due to the nature of their normal routes up and down Norway they can respond to ice.

Thanks OlsSalt. The key will be what the prices will be after Jan 2022. We really like Seabourn as their 22 day Antarctica cruise from Buenos Aires to Santiago is around $550 pp a day including a number of landings on Antarctica. But the price probably won't remain at that level when the new restrictions take affect.

Hi Ken - I am no expert on this & have only been looking at it since I stumbled on an article regarding Zaandam likely last Antarctic season due to change over of certificates next year. This was while looking for info on Scenic Eclipse which is held up due to builder going bust.

I have started a list of ships that will have Polar Class in next few years - all are in building or planning stage except Silver Cloud which had a $41 million refit in 2017 & is rated Ice Class 1C ? - this could be one of a few classification society ratings but should be equivelant to P6.  Refurbishing current ships is considered too expensive. 

Due in 2019 -- Roald Amundsen [P6],  Scenic Eclipse ?,  Hondius [P6],  Crystal Endeavor [P6],  Magellan Explorer [P6],  Greg Mortimer ? ,  Hanseatic Nature & Inspiration [P6],  Le Bougainville & Le Dumont-d'Urville by Ponant,  World Explorer,  unnamed by Sunstone [P6]. 

Due in 2020  -  Nat. Geo. Endurance,  Le Bellot & Le Jacques Cartier by Ponant, Scenic Eclipse II,  unnamed by Seabourn,  sister to Roald Amundsen [P6],  & another 2 unnamed by Sunstone [P6].

There are others on order - but reliable info by other than travel agents & media is scarce & unreliable.

Ponant's icebreaker [P2]  Le Commandant Charcot started in 2018 & due in 2021 - has a list of future cruises online for northern summer - does not say which year!  Booking available.

• Like 1

Further to above :-

World Explorer has Ice class 1B? polar Class ?

Nat. Geo. Endurance has PC 5 - higher than all except Ponant icebreaker.

Greg Mortimer is PC 6.

Scenic has Ice Class 1A - equivilent PC ?

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 6:54 PM, SeaDog-46 said:

Zaandam is 20 years old in 2020.  After her drydock period & issue of new certificates she will no longer be "covered" for summer voyages into latitudes plus 60 degrees.  This does not include Iceland & Norwegian area due to the Gulf Stream.

Greenland & the Antarctic Peninsular will be out for those ships with the lowest current ice class like Zaandam. 

HAL may have another ship with certificates expiring in 2021, but after that the new law comes into force on 1st Jan. 2022.

Only newer expedition ships will have the the minimum Ice Class 6  -  post 1st Jan. 2020.

Am I understanding you correctly to say that, although the new law does not take effect until 1 Jan 2022, a ship cannot sail prior to that time once it has been issued a new certificate?  For instance, the Zaandam can sail in January 2021, because she will have been re-certified in 2020?  So HAL will have to use a newer ship that will not have to go through recertification until after the 2020/21 Antarctica cruising schedule?

Tampa Girl - I realise this is a bit confusing - but will try to clarify it.

The New Polar Code has been many years in coming because several classification societies that insure ships each had there own ICE class rules.

Also various accidents with cruise & expedition ships have occured - sinking of Explorer,  Polar Star hitting uncharted rock &  Le Boreal engine fire & loss of power off Falklands & some others.

In Jan. 2017 the notification of these rules was put out by the  International Matitime Organisation - IMO [UN body].  Start date for POLAR CODE - 1st Jan. 2022.

All ships with any of the old Ice Classes going through there 5 year recertification after that date [1st Jan.2017] would either need to comply with & be issued a new Polar Class rating or NOT get one - ie no longer have one due to not complying with the new code.  This is what will happen to all the HAL ships & other normal cruise ships with an Ice Class certificate.  Zaandam 5 year survey is due next year after her trans Atlantic & Greenland port call mid year. She will no longer be Ice Class after that survey/drydock.

There are a couple of ships that have been upgraded & should have or get the new Polar Code. They are Silver Cloud that had a $41 million 2 month docking & RCGS Resolute.

The reason for me putting out this Polar Code info is to advise members that if they want to cruise to Antarctica & Greenland at a reasonable cost - then next year is likely their last chance, though there could still be some in 2021.