Alaska questions

leck57

Oh no, not another Alaskan thread I hear, so I apologise for that. I've commented on threads in the past but never started a thread so please be kind!!

I have a couple of questions about an Alaskan tour (around July next year) and if people can help that would be great.

We are looking at a Princess Connoisseur Tour and our friends reckon it is better to do the land tour first. That aside, the tour will start in Fairbanks so I have to look at getting to the start point. From Oz we would generally fly to Vancouver, LA, or San Fran and change planes at one of those ports. Any ideas re the best way to get to Fairbanks from one of those. An option is go to Anchorage first as the tour doesn't seem to spend much time there but is there much to see in Anchorage or should we just go straight to Fairbanks. At the conclusion of the tour we intend to spend time in and around Vancouver for a few days, and for us it's easy to fly home from there.

My other question is the cabin location. I notice just about all of the balcony cabins on the port side for the south bound cruise are taken and I understand why. My question is if we have to book a cabin on the other side is that a deal breaker for people. There are plenty of cabins available on starboard. We are active and would go to the open deck areas if needed. Obviously there are solid reasons why people take the port cabins on the southbound cruise but would we be disappointed if we cannot get one?

Thanks in advance for your views.

I am doing something similar in May-June, but not a Connoisseur Tour. Starting in Fairbanks, Denali, then southbound cruise ending at Vancouver. Yes, there are things to do from a base in Anchorage. Seward, Kenai Fjords (excellent and nothing similar from the cruise), Alyeska, Portage Glacier just a few. There is more. I recommend Google and look for things to do around Anchorage. I will spend 2 full days staying in Anchorage, then fly Alaska Airlines to Fairbanks to join the tour.

Oh no, not another Alaskan thread I hear, so I apologise for that. I've commented on threads in the past but never started a thread so please be kind!!

I have a couple of questions about an Alaskan tour (around July next year) and if people can help that would be great.

We are looking at a Princess Connoisseur Tour and our friends reckon it is better to do the land tour first. That aside, the tour will start in Fairbanks so I have to look at getting to the start point. From Oz we would generally fly to Vancouver, LA, or San Fran and change planes at one of those ports. Any ideas re the best way to get to Fairbanks from one of those. An option is go to Anchorage first as the tour doesn't seem to spend much time there but is there much to see in Anchorage or should we just go straight to Fairbanks. At the conclusion of the tour we intend to spend time in and around Vancouver for a few days, and for us it's easy to fly home from there.

My other question is the cabin location. I notice just about all of the balcony cabins on the port side for the south bound cruise are taken and I understand why. My question is if we have to book a cabin on the other side is that a deal breaker for people. There are plenty of cabins available on starboard. We are active and would go to the open deck areas if needed. Obviously there are solid reasons why people take the port cabins on the southbound cruise but would we be disappointed if we cannot get one?

We booked a connoisseur tour earlier this week but going from Seattle first 7 days and than 8 for land tour. We will be in an inside cabin but not going to be there much as we will be up and about to see whatever there is to see.

The people in the lower 48 want to do southbound:

1. Tour and then relax on the ship.

2. Have the long flight at the start of their trip.

3. Southbound trips see Hubbard Glacier and don't cruise around College Fjord.

4. And pick the "shore side" (port) in the mistaken belief that all the sights are there.

We did two Northbound trips with land tours and one B2B from Vancouver to Whittier and back. So we

have three northbound and one southbound. And on the B2B we skipped the balcony because we were seldom

in the cabin.

1. We didn't find the tour more or less strenuous than the cruise - you spend a LOT of time on a bus or train

so we got more exercise on the cruise.

2. The flight is a legit excuse, but doesn't matter since your flights are WAY longer than ours. Flights from

Alaska tend to leave in the middle of the night.

3. College Fjord is done during dinner hours and light isn't good for photography, so slight edge to southbound.

4. The whales and critters are ALWAYS on the other side of the ship from where you are. And since you spend most

of your time between islands and mainland the views are pretty much the same on both sides.

Bottom line: It is usually cheaper and there is more cabin availability for northbound than southbound but it really doesn't matter much. And we got two cruises in an obstructed ocean view for the price of a balcony. Inside would have been

cheaper still.

Our tour began in Fairbanks . There was nothing to do there.A very depressing city.

Ok, I'll share our experience limited as it is; we did land first, cruise second. We flew into Anchorage and started there with an independently booked day trip to Seward on the Alaskan Railroad. Back in Anchorage we joined the Princess tour using motorcoaches to hopscotch north to Talkeetna and McKinley (Denali) lodges. Our TA gave us good advice there wasn't much to do in Fairbanks, so we spent an extra day at Denali. Princess is very flexible and you can really customize your land tours. Take the train south all the way to the ship at Whittier, it is beautiful trip and if you are on the train you can get up and walk around.

Hi all,

myself and 3 friends have booked a Denali explorer tour thru Princess for June 23rd thru July 3rd, 2019 southbound. We were also told the best way was to do the land tour first since you have more leeway with the flights, we're flying in to Anchorage from Florida and didn't want to leave a day earlier than necessary. We booked the flight thru Princess EZair and it really is easy. And I was told they won't offer any fights that don't fit with their scheduling. You can changed the dates and play around to find the best fit but I would suggest if you are going to do this for a group that you all get together and plan it or have your travel agent book it. It got a little messy when I tried and the Agent had to fix it! LOL Anyway, I can't believe no one has started a roll call for this trip yet. We are on the Island Princess and did book a balcony. Hope that doesn't end up being a mistake as this will probably be the only time they are going to get me on multiple planes to fly to Alaska!! (I've only flown once since Sept. 2001...) so I also see that Princess doesn't list excursions for Denali. Any suggestions? We have decided also to stay an extra day in Vancouver. Should be a great trip..

I’ll chime in with a few thoughts on our Alaska cruisetour. Unlike most of the posters above we sailed north to south and did the tour after the cruise. I realize that many people recommend south to north, but we were very happy with our choice and would do it again in the future.

First of all we spent a few days in Vancouver before the cruise and loved the city, many things to do and excellent restaurants. We also enjoyed the gentle immersion into Alaska that the northbound cruise provided. We loved College Fjord and actually got the best photos from our cruise there. (Weather played a role here as our Glacier Bay day was rainy and foggy.)

Concerning your cabin choice, we had a starboard balcony and although the commentary from the naturalist was more port oriented going north it was fine. We spent most of our time on various locations on the ship, not viewing from our cabin, so I think that either side would be fine.

Anyway, good luck with your decision making and have a wonderful trip.

You didn’t mention what ship? You will be fine with a balcony on either side, but if you are on the Coral, you get bonus of aft viewing decks on 9-11. There are forward viewing decks on 10( not sure about 9 or 11). So if you booked near those you can move quickly around.

We did south to north and really enjoyed it. I echo the points of mevs904. Everyday got more and more amazing. We finished with 3 nights in a cabin near Denali, and the final night at the Aleyeska resort and then touring south of Anchorage to the wildlife rehab center. Flew home to Orlando on an overnight flight with a last minute upgrade to business class and slept pretty well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Either side of the ship is fine. You will have great scenery from both. I have done B2B on the same ship going both directions several times and I don't remember one side being worse than the other.

Not sure if you have unlimited vacation time - if you do, you may want to also look at Vancouver to Calgary train ride: https://www.rockymountaineer.com  I haven't done it yet but it is on my bucket list!

Edited by Coral

We did a Conissour tour also with Princess and loved it. We did land first, then southbound cruise.  We started in Fairbanks and stayed an extra day there due to airline schedules.  Although Fairbanks was not the highlight of the tour, I'd add that there was plenty to do.  We spent a 1/2 day at the "Museum of the North" at the University. We got there via local bus that stopped at the Fairbanks lodge. We did that and also went around the downtown before our tour officially started.   From there we went to Denali lodge, McKinley lodge, and Kenai lodge (Which was our favorite).  Our tour had a lunch stop one day in Anchorage.   If you are staying in Vancouver at the end, I'd suggest the Westin. We stayed there and were very close to the port but also within walking distance of Stanley Park which was lovely.   You did not mention which ship you are looking at.  We were on the Coral which was nice as there were open areas aft on our deck (Caribe deck) and we could spend time out there and have open views to both sides.  I believe some modifications have been made since we did this cruise (it was in 2015) so you may want to investigate that if you are looking at the Coral. 

We are relatively new users of Cruise Critic and have not yet figured out how to use the Boards:

We are booked on a Princess Southbound  Alaska Cruise tour in May.    It seems that the Major Marine tour out of Seward is not available to us due to transportation constraints from Kenai.  If you have recently experienced the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise any information would be very much appreciated.    Or if there is a spot on cruise Critic that addresses reviews of this and/or similar excursions from Kenai, please let me know how to access that information.

We enjoyed doing the land part of the cruisetour first.  Fantastic experience.  A bit tiring though so glad to get on the ship.

Been to Alaska twice, once on an aft-wrap.  Which side of the ship you are on is irrelevant.   Most of the time you should be on deck anyway.

Highlight of our trip to Alaska was always in the air.  Take a helicopter or airplane excursion.  VERY expensive and so worth it.  Experience of a lifetime.  

7 hours ago, Florida Pair said:

We are relatively new users of Cruise Critic and have not yet figured out how to use the Boards:

We are booked on a Princess Southbound  Alaska Cruise tour in May.    It seems that the Major Marine tour out of Seward is not available to us due to transportation constraints from Kenai.  If you have recently experienced the Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise any information would be very much appreciated.    Or if there is a spot on cruise Critic that addresses reviews of this and/or similar excursions from Kenai, please let me know how to access that information.

check for review in the Alaska section https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/

one such post there is

1stTIMECRUZER    posted on September 8

We had 5 full days post cruise for our DIY land tour and did the following: MajorMarine 7.5 hour Kenai Fjords Nat’l Park Cruise (wonderful!), train to Anchorage, Denali National Park 8 hour tour, Denali NP sled dog demo, Talkeetna sightseeing, Matanuska Glacier, flightseeing out of Anchorage because our Talkeetna flightseeing was cancelled due to weather (we finally saw Mt Denali although only by air), Earthquake Park, Portage Glacier, Seward Highway along Turnagain Arm, and the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. We had a wonderful time. Good luck with your planning!

8 hours ago, Florida Pair said:

Don't feel bad. I am definitely not a new user and haven't figured out how to use the boards since the recent change. :classic_rolleyes:

As for any information regarding Kenai excursions, I am very glad you asked as I am very interested in any answers. Thanks for asking!

7 hours ago, Thrak said:

Don't feel bad. I am definitely not a new user and haven't figured out how to use the boards since the recent change. :classic_rolleyes:

As for any information regarding Kenai excursions, I am very glad you asked as I am very interested in any answers. Thanks for asking!

https://www.princesslodges.com/princess-alaska-lodges/kenai-lodge/

20 hours ago, leck57 said:

Thanks all for your comments. We have booked a land tour starting Anchorage that is for 8 days then the 7 day southbound cruise on the Royal.

Wowie Zowie! Awesomd!! There are two or maybe three 8 day land tours that are connoisseur tours. We are booked for next May on the "weird" one. We did Denali Lodge and McKinney Lodge last time. This time we have Denali Lodge, Kenai Lodge, and Copper River Lodge. Two grueling 9 hour bus days but we really (obviously really) wanted to visit those latter two lodges on this trip. We have no doubt we will have absolutely zero regrets.

Congratulations on booking your cruise and land tour. I hope you enjoy it every bit as much as we enjoyed our last one and expect to enjoy our upcoming one. Alaska is great. We did a 7 week camping trip last summer that took us all the way up to Fairbanks. We saw a lot of interior Alaska that one simply can't see on a cruise. (Of course most of Alaska can't be seen by car either! The place is freaking huge and there simply aren't any roads to most of it.) Grab hold of as much of the "Alaska Experience" as you possibly can and, if you ever get the chance, go back on an extended land tour The people were amazingly friendly. It was really the only place we have been where the people were as friendly as the Canadians. (That's actually saying quite a lot!) Alaska is a special place.