Honolulu afternoon beach day

willrich7

We have a full day (depart at 11pm) in Honolulu on our upcoming cruse, we have a Princess excursion in the morning but were hoping to maybe spend the afternoon on the beach - we won't have a car so if we can walk to one or take a short Uber that would be great - any recommendations on which beach to hit?

We'll eat dinner on the ship and then head back into town in the evening, any recommendations on what to do in the evening?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

We have a full day (depart at 11pm) in Honolulu on our upcoming cruse, we have a Princess excursion in the morning but were hoping to maybe spend the afternoon on the beach - we won't have a car so if we can walk to one or take a short Uber that would be great - any recommendations on which beach to hit?

We'll eat dinner on the ship and then head back into town in the evening, any recommendations on what to do in the evening?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

I can't give you a name for a specific beach but they have a great bus service that will take you there & runs close by to the ship.

If you're a senior bring your medicare card for a discount on bus fares.

What kind of beach do you want?

Closest: Ala Moana Beach Park/Magic Island (maybe 5 miles towards Diamond Head/East).

Waikiki: Starting around the Hilton Hawaiian Village....again going East...the the end of Waikiki (about 2 miles). Fake Waikiki Beach Sand. It is trucked in from other beaches.

Best Beaches: Lanikai, Kailua Beach Park, Waimanalo Beach Park....all very very very far away (20 miles?)

Scenic: Hanauma Fish Preserve for snorkeling. There are tours that will provide bus service and gear.

• Like 1

Our favorite beach is actually Waikiki. Yes, it can be crowded, bit our favorite spots are Fort Derussy and in fromt of the Moana Hotel. There’s a small coral reek in fro t of the Moana, and I’ve frequently spotted sea turtles there. There is also a sand bar, so you can go fairly far out and still be in shallow water. Plus there’s a great view of Diamond Head, water activities, and restaurants. The mountains pretty much keep the clouds away, too. There’s a reason the Hawai’ian royalty beached there [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hopefully, you'll find some place to shower and change after your beach day....that's the problem with doing stuff before your flight....how do you get "cleaned up"? I would do a hotel room for the day...even if I had to pay full rate.

We went to Pearl Harbor in the morning (by bus), and then after returning to the ship and having a short nap, we just headed out walking towards the beach areas. It was a bit of a walk, but we are used to walking, and so was a pleasant trip of a couple miles. After passing a small harbor where charter boats were moored, there was a beach that we stopped and swam at. Nothing fancy, but fine none the less. There was a public bathroom complex with showers there as well. I tried snorkeling, but not much to see, but we had a nice swim and then walked back to the ship as the sun set. It was a pretty evening and an enjoyable walk.

Don

Hopefully, you'll find some place to shower and change after your beach day....that's the problem with doing stuff before your flight....how do you get "cleaned up"? I would do a hotel room for the day...even if I had to pay full rate.

They (OP) are talking about a full day before their cruise departs, not their flight home. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Ala Moana Beach Park is the closest and has the advantage of being across from Ala Moana Center, with lots of great places to eat.

Waikiki Beach in front of the Moana is iconic and fun for that reason, but busy.

Queen's Beach (end of Waikiki closest to Diamond Head is nice and quiet and beyond it, San Souci Beach is very nice and quiet.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

If you are only going to walk on the beach with your flip flops, then the beach starting at the Hilton Hawaiian Village is fine.  We have stayed at that hotel several times over the years. But bear in mind that the sand is nasty, trekked in from somewhere else and not very nice at all.  But walking with flip flops is fine.

We will also be on a cruise, leaving Honolulu at 11 PM. Very interested in this thread, as we too have an excursion planned for the morning-early afternoon, and will do a bit of city sightseeing (along with Waikiki beach) after our tour. 

I haven't read any thoughts/advice on nightlife in Honolulu.....anyone??