Question about TSA Precheck

mkkao924

I have TSA Precheck, but my wife doesn't. When we travel together, more often than not, she will have Precheck on her boarding pass too.

This is the first time we cruise since I got TSA Precheck. Is there any chance that my wife will get TSA Precheck at embarkation?

Regards,

Scott Kao

• 2 weeks later...

If you are talking specifically about TSA Pre Check at the airport, as long as you booked the airline tickets together, you both will have Pre Check. They usually do not split up families who book together.

53 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Not all cruise ports have separate Global Entry lines. I have not seen one in Long Beach. Perhaps they have them in Florida??

Only Ft Lauderdale has consistently reported Global Entry operations- no kiosks, but GE lines. Inconsistent reports at Miami and Vancouver. No reports of Global Entry at any other port.

On 11/3/2018 at 4:33 AM, weacat said:

If you are talking specifically about TSA Pre Check at the airport, as long as you booked the airline tickets together, you both will have Pre Check. They usually do not split up families who book together.

Hasn't happened recently but, in the past, hubby & I both have TSA pre-check & 1 or the other hasn't had it show up on our boarding passes....not on all flights nor on 1 specific airline.

On 11/3/2018 at 4:33 AM, weacat said:

Not true...."usually" is true "will have" isn't.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

• 1 month later...

Hopefully I can clear up some misinformation here.

If you have TSA Pre Check then you have been assigned a "known traveler number". This number is for ONE person.  When you book your flight, you either tell the agent your number over the phone or enter it in your personal information when buying on line.  Frequent flyer members can store the number with their respective personal info.  You can even give your number when you check in at the airport so it can be printed on your boarding pass.

If you have received Pre-Check in the past without having provided a known traveler number, consider yourself lucky, some algorithm has selected you to get it as a promotion.  If one person has Pre-Check, family is not automatically given  a Pre Check pass unless they also have a known traveler number.

Sub has explained it pretty clearly.  I can tell you from personal experience they will not keep families together unless everybody whose required has a TSA Trust Traveler number.  We were in the pre-check line with a family in front of us where only the wife had the TT number.  When they got to the inspection desk the TSO turned everybody away except the wife.  She ended up going to the regular line with the husband and two kids.  

As a side note, if you have a KTN with CBP you can use that for your TSA pre-check number.  However, a TSA pre-check number won't work for CBP Trusted Traveler programs.  We got our SENTRI cards a few months ago, which we have input into our FF profiles and when my TSA pre-check expires we will not be renewing it.  Personally, I would forego the TSA pre-check and apply for one of the CBP Trusted Traveler programs.  It's only a few $ more than TSA.  It's a little more hassle to initially apply.  But if you anticipate doing international travel it's well worth the small inconvenience.