Would appreciate your opinion on Hawaii selection

ncstatefan

Have cruised on several Princess ships - Coral is by far my favorite.  However, my choices for Hawaii are the Grand, Star, and Emerald, and I have never been on either.  Have been told by friends that all are nice but the Grand can get a little crowded at times.    This is certainly a subjective question but I was hoping some of you who have sailed these ships might offer some information that would help me decide.  Itineraries and departure ports are almost identical for all.   We are a "mature" couple who enjoys a pre-dinner cocktail, maybe a dance or two at the Wheelhouse, dinner, and perhaps a show or movie, so the absence (or presence) of high-drama entertainment would not be a factor.  

We've sailed on all of those ships and I, too, prefer the Coral over those 3 ships listed.  With that being said, I would say I would have to choose the Star.  This is based on the Emerald not having an indoor pool, which is important to me when having so  many sea days.  Maybe not so for you, though ... but that is my reasoning for not choosing the Emerald.  

The Grand is just too old and not well maintained.  She also doesn't have Skywalkers, which is also a plus but the closets in the staterooms are really small, as well.  One plus to the Grand, is that she does have window suites.  

Sailing under the Golden Gate and touring SF before or after the cruise is another good selling point for the Grand,  however, it is a very expensive city, so that might make a difference to you.  

Still, I would stick with the Star if the embarkation / debarkation port doesn't matter to you.  

I’ve sailed on these three ships multiple times and would choose the Star for several reasons.

The Grand was the first ship of this type and the cabins are smaller with half the storage space of the other two ships. The closet area is maybe 2½’ wide rather than the usual 6’. The wardrobe with shelves is just wide enough for one pile of t-shirts.

Because the Grand was the first of its kind, Skywalker’s was made with very heavy materials that started stressing the hull after many years and was removed so no Skywalker’s. They added the One5 lounge which is a weird L-shaped lounge with no view.

The Emerald has no covered pool area nor does the Grand. This might seem like a minor point but if it’s raining or chilly, having a large covered area makes a big difference. The Star has the covered pool and Conservatory, the Sun deck area under the covered area. 

3 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

I’ve sailed on these three ships multiple times and would choose the Star for several reasons.

The Grand was the first ship of this type and the cabins are smaller with half the storage space of the other two ships. The closet area is maybe 2½’ wide rather than the usual 6’. The wardrobe with shelves is just wide enough for one pile of t-shirts.

Because the Grand was the first of its kind, Skywalker’s was made with very heavy materials that started stressing the hull after many years and was removed so no Skywalker’s. They added the One5 lounge which is a weird L-shaped lounge with no view.

The Emerald has no covered pool area nor does the Grand. This might seem like a minor point but if it’s raining or chilly, having a large covered area makes a big difference. The Star has the covered pool and Conservatory, the Sun deck area under the covered area. 

Pam, the Grand has a covered pool but you are right, the Emerald does not.  

Another negative feature about the Grand that I failed to mention, though, is it doesn't have a midship stairwell for passenger use, which makes navigating your way up past deck 7 with a lot of bottlenecks walking towards the aft.  The midship elevators are also a lot more crowded due to this.  

3 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

sorry can't help you with a direct comparison. However, I have sailed both Coral and Star. In fact, sailed Star to Hawaii in January, 2018 out of LA. I did not have much issue with crowding, except if you were trying the buffet at peak times, which is usually an issue no matter what ship you are on. The Star has a Skywalkers Nightclub on deck 17. It is quite nice. Located in an out of the way spot, so you need to find it as you are unlikely to just "bump" into it by accident. On our sailing, the Skywalker is where they had 2 for 1 drink specials before dinner ... go early as that gets crowded. I went to the Nightclub in the evening too, but not many others did. I was not impressed with their selection of music by the DJ, as the demographic on the ship was more "mature" and the music they were blasting was new stuff that simply didn't fit the audience ... so the dance floor was empty

I too have been on all three ships.  I've been on both the Star and Grand for a Hawaiian cruise over Christmas/New Years and it only felt crowded on both ships during the balloon drop.  So I would not worry about crowding.  At least it hasn't been an issue for us.

Departure port, which one is less expensive to get to?   Which departure port do you want to explore a bit?  Maybe never been to?  The Grand is my least favorite ship of your choices, and possibly the fleet, but sailing under the Golden Gate is beautiful!  I love that every time!  We sail at least once per year on the Grand as it's our home port and while it is older, it's still lovely.  Plus, the staff on board is great!!  Yes, the closets are small.  We sail with 4 in a cabin (2 adults and a 10 and 15 year old) and all our clothes all fit.  

I like the Emerald because I love SHARE.  On a 15 day cruise we go to specialty dining about 3-4 times, so I'd be happy with that!  The Star is nice.  You will enjoy either ship.  

Edited by jennybenny
clarified

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

Pam, the Grand has a covered pool but you are right, the Emerald does not.  

Yup. You’re right. To me, the lack of storage, the smaller cabin and no Skywalker’s is enough to deter me from booking the Grand on a cruise longer than just a few days. I’d forgotten about the lack of stairs mid-ship above deck 7. A real pain and means crowded elevators and long waits. 

The Star would be my first choice, the Emerald my second choice. 

Another factor is who the Hawaiian immersion people are on the cruise. 

I too would choose the Star Princess for all the reasons others have mentioned.  In addition, two reasons why the Emerald Princess is less desirable is that it carries more passengers so a larger crowd to contend with both onboard and ashore.

The Wheelhouse bar on the Emerald has had nearly half of its space taken for the Gastro Pub specialty restaurant and it tall tables and stools.  That means your chances of getting a seat for enjoying the entertainment and dancing are greatly reduced.  On our 28 day cruise on the Emerald, the Wheelhouse bar part was always packed while the Gastro Pub sections hardly ever had anyone.

Star or Emerald. Both are similar.

Star has an indoor pool and a second show lounge, Vista Lounge. Star has 500 less passengers than the Emerald. Both have the larger closet space. Emerald has Club Fusion which is good for many activities like Zumba, Bingo, parties, karaoke and more. Emerald has more outdoor pool space and one of the main pools is MUTS free.

On 10/23/2018 at 11:09 AM, ncstatefan said:

Have cruised on several Princess ships - Coral is by far my favorite.  However, my choices for Hawaii are the Grand, Star, and Emerald, and I have never been on either.  Have been told by friends that all are nice but the Grand can get a little crowded at times.    This is certainly a subjective question but I was hoping some of you who have sailed these ships might offer some information that would help me decide.  Itineraries and departure ports are almost identical for all.   We are a "mature" couple who enjoys a pre-dinner cocktail, maybe a dance or two at the Wheelhouse, dinner, and perhaps a show or movie, so the absence (or presence) of high-drama entertainment would not be a factor.  

Personally, I don’t like the Grand since they cut Skywalkers off. It does seem more crowded. The Star and the Emerald are essentially identical. Go with your favorite sailing.

1 hour ago, diane.in.ny said:

So glad I tripped over this thread.

We just booked HI and picked the Star out of LA. Looks like we made the right choice.  :classic_biggrin:

Thanks!

We too took the Star out of LA last February. We would choose it again over the other two, although I like the Emerald too. The Grand along with the Island are my least favorites of the Princess ships. 

5 hours ago, rockdoctor said:

Personally, I don’t like the Grand since they cut Skywalkers off. It does seem more crowded. The Star and the Emerald are essentially identical. Go with your favorite sailing.

Emerald has an extra passenger deck (Rivera) and also has Adagio which is a great venue. I've sailed Star twice - Hawaii (15 day) and Mexico (10 days) - and Emerald once (28 days). I think I actually prefer Emerald. My order of choice would be Emerald, Star, and then Grand. Some would claim that the extra passenger deck makes Emerald more crowded but we didn't have an issue. 

Of course if I was planning to sail to Hawaii again I'd likely choose Grand simply because it's a 3 hour drive to the port in SF. Emerald would almost certainly mean a 1.5 hour drive, a 1.5 hour flight, and a shuttle to the airport. Either that or an 8.5 hour drive. (Uggghhhh... Been there, done that.)

Edited by Thrak

On 10/23/2018 at 9:09 AM, ncstatefan said:

My friends are on the Star right now and they have Capt. Tuvo. I would sail just to have him as my capt. again. He is the greatest and is suppose to stay on the star until 2020 when he moves to a new ship

6 hours ago, Photofinish4 said:

My friends are on the Star right now and they have Capt. Tuvo. I would sail just to have him as my capt. again. He is the greatest and is suppose to stay on the star until 2020 when he moves to a new ship

Could the new ship be the Sky?

4 minutes ago, Sillyjilly said:

I would take the Emerald, assuming it is the twin of the Ruby.

The Star's closets are too small and the Grand is missing the middle stair case. Makes for crowded elevators. I have been on them both.

My preference is the Emerald.  I like the Piazza a little better than the Ruby and I like the art on the Emerald throughout the ship.  Plus The Emerald sails out of LA, and that would be home port for me, unless they ever start cruising out of San Diego.

I was on the Star and although the public areas were fine, and clean, my cabin showed it's age.  Especially the bathroom floor, downright gross, I had the floor mat down 24/7.

1 hour ago, 1emerald1 said:

My preference is the Emerald.  I like the Piazza a little better than the Ruby and I like the art on the Emerald throughout the ship.  Plus The Emerald sails out of LA, and that would be home port for me, unless they ever start cruising out of San Diego.

I was on the Star and although the public areas were fine, and clean, my cabin showed it's age.  Especially the bathroom floor, downright gross, I had the floor mat down 24/7.

The Star was just refurbished beginning of this year, so I'm hoping that included those bathrooms floors .... They sound awful.

13 hours ago, Sillyjilly said:

I would take the Emerald, assuming it is the twin of the Ruby.

The Star's closets are too small and the Grand is missing the middle stair case. Makes for crowded elevators. I have been on them both.

Not certain regarding interior or OV cabins, but balcony cat. cabin closets on both the Emerald and Star are the same, around 6 feet long. The Grand has the smaller 3 foot closets.

3 hours ago, Photofinish4 said:

that may be do you know where it will be ported and what places it will be going?

The maiden voyage will be in Europe, then it will cross the Atlantic to Ft. Lauderdale and start doing the Caribbean through April 2020.  That's all that's been published so far.

I have few cruises with Princess so unable to offer a fare comparison between the three ship mentioned. My first two cruises with Princess were on her older ships, the Sea & Sun then cruised with friends on the Star in 2013 for a Coastal. The daughter & I are booked on the Emerald for March 2019. I have enjoyed my cruises with Princess  but have found their balcony cabins  are smaller then the Royal Caribbean ships I have sailed. That is my only negative on Princess.