Travelers Checks

andymattmom

13 minutes ago, markeb said:

I didn’t. Did you use the same font? I never had issues reading your posts. 

I’ll try to report it. It may be a font substitution issue. What I see is tiny faint script. Clearly that’s not what you see. 

I'm not having a problem reading davekathy's posts so I think it may be something on your end. I do prefer a font type like in this post to a script, but Davekathy's font, although a script in previous posts, is neither tiny nor faint when viewed on my phone, tablet or computer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Yes, I'm using the same font style I did before the update. You are correct. What I'm typing isn't what you or a few others are seeing. I have no problems not electing to use a font option, color or size CC has provided but that should be my choice and not because CC has the problem with it not being compatible on all devices. Thank you for reporting it. Possibly it can be fixed. ☮️

It’s actually a reported glitch by someone who appears to understand the technical aspects of the problem

1 hour ago, markeb said:

It’s actually a reported glitch by someone who appears to understand the technical aspects of the problem

Thanks for this.   So it's a glitch, and POA1 was kind enough to inform the CC folks of the code necessary to fix the glitch, but it still has not been done.  Meanwhile, Comic Sans is virtually unreadable on phones and tablets...

14 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I can barely read this fancy-smanchy script font. I have skipped past a number of posts by you and others using this, but sometimes you have something useful to say. Can you please figure out a way to change to a normal font that would be legible to those of us who have never had a calligraphy class? Maybe Jenn can help you?

Okay Folks. Enough of this stuff about fonts and not being able to read a post. The subject of the original post is about Travelers Checks. Get over it about the script/font, etc.

3 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

iPad

And this is what your font looks like in action...

FF48CD75-DE61-4024-B849-654EEC984333.thumb.jpeg.861768c9ea1924c5833f08f50b6e4b82.jpeg

Thanks for posting what you are seeing. That font style you are seeing is definitely is not Comic Scans. Looks like cursive and I can read it on my laptop. Agree this thread has gone sideways and let the CC IT gurus figure out the solution.  Now back to our regularly scheduled program. 

Edited by davekathy

9 hours ago, English Voyager said:

I have some old American Express $US travellers cheques, issued by Thomas Cook, which I tried to convert.

I was advised by American Express that in the UK the Post Office, and the Nat West Bank, were the only places that would convert them yet both said they did not provide such a service.

Would such cheques be accepted on board by Celebrity?

All we can say is "Maybe, try it and see."

Since they are American Express Travellers Cheques, it is likely that guest services on Celebrity will allow you to use them for your on-board bill.  That way, you don't need to have any currency conversion done.  You can deposit them with Guest Services to pre-pay your bill in cash, and then if you don't spend it all, they should give you cash at the end of the cruise, I believe.  Better than sitting on them.

9 hours ago, English Voyager said:

I have some old American Express $US travellers cheques, issued by Thomas Cook, which I tried to convert.

I was advised by American Express that in the UK the Post Office, and the Nat West Bank, were the only places that would convert them yet both said they did not provide such a service.

Would such cheques be accepted on board by Celebrity?

Can't you deposit them in your savings or checking account at your bank?Then take a cash withdrawal. 

21 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

All we can say is "Maybe, try it and see."

Since they are American Express Travellers Cheques, it is likely that guest services on Celebrity will allow you to use them for your on-board bill.  That way, you don't need to have any currency conversion done.  You can deposit them with Guest Services to pre-pay your bill in cash, and then if you don't spend it all, they should give you cash at the end of the cruise, I believe.  Better than sitting on them.

Thank you for your reply.

I have booked a Celebrity cruise next June so I will enquire once on board.

6 minutes ago, andymattmom said:

I know my bank can charge a fee for using the ATM. Does anyone know how much the ATM fee on the ship charges ? 

I believe it's $6, then your bank can charge their fee on top of that, if they charge.

18 hours ago, andymattmom said:

I know my bank can charge a fee for using the ATM. Does anyone know how much the ATM fee on the ship charges ? 

Celebrity charges 6.00 per transaction (withdrawal) and your bank may charge a fee also.  I use an account I have with First Republic Bank and they  have no ATM fee and refund the $6.00 that Celebrity charges.    I understand that a Schwab ATM Card also offers rebating foreign ATM Charges.   

I don't recall what the Maximum withdrawal limits were but $500-600 comes to mind. 

I also seem to recall that Celebrity will cash a personal check up to about $300 once per cruise.   I've never done this so maybe others could throw in their experience. 

Edited by Jim_Iain

22 hours ago, eurodl said:

If you cash a TC onboard do they give you US$ or Euros?  We will be cruising the Mediterranean next year.

If your TCs are in US Dollars that is what you will get.  If you want Euros, they will usually have a supply and will be able to convert your dollars to Euros...but not at the best exchange rate.   I have to be honest in that I did not know that anyone even sold TCs any more.  Other then on some cruise ships, they are becoming darn near impossible to cash.

Hank