Take beer off ship in port?

CruzerDeb

23 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

Really?  I haven't been to Princess Cays but on Royal Caribbean and NCL's private islands, you can use the drink package.

Not unless it changed recently

Does it work on Carnival’s private islands or in ports?

No. Even though Carnival owns private islands, the drink package doesn’t work there. It also doesn’t work in ports of call like Cozumel or Nassau. That doesn’t mean you are out of luck on port days. As long as you are on the ship, you can use the CHEERS! package from the ship’s bars. So if you decide to hang out on the ship during port days are when you return, you can still be served.

https://www.cruzely.com/15-questions-answers-about-the-carnival-cheers-package/

13 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

That's surprising.   One more reason not to bother with Carnival's package, I guess.

Royal Caribbean's package: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/beverage-drink-package-products

NCL's package: https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

Hi

Of course, if you weren't going to that particular stop, it really wouldn't make a difference, I guess. Actually, I am really surprised that anyone would make the decision on which cruise to take based on the beverage package. I guess that why we are all lucky that there are so many choices on how to get drunk. 🍻

15 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Of course, if you weren't going to that particular stop, it really wouldn't make a difference, I guess. Actually, I am really surprised that anyone would make the decision on which cruise to take based on the beverage package. I guess that why we are all lucky that there are so many choices on how to get drunk. 🍻

I didn't say one more reason not to go on Carnival.  I said one more reason not to buy their package. 🙂 I would never choose a cruise based on the drink package.  We already don't get the Carnival drink package because it requires everyone in the cabin to buy it.  My husband can make it worth it, but I can't.  We just pay as we go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mexicobob said:

I personally really enjoy a local beer.  One of the highlights of the cruise for me.

Same. I always get Karib when I go down there. I also stop and get Gasolinas in PR everytime we go down there. Afew years back they did not sell them in the States (they do now) so we always used to stock up while down there.

On 10/25/2018 at 9:01 PM, Cozzette3 said:

Wow! I had no idea that the beverage package was so expensive

Yes it is but then hubby and I got thinking about the fact that most drinks end up close to $10 each with the gratuity and because he would have to pay every time he wanted a Coke(2 with dinner and we've already spent $6), we may be buying the package just to make life easier.  Plus I can get unlimited energy drinks, vitamin water, milkshakes, etc. so I think we can prob each spend close to that $55/day it's going to cost.

37 minutes ago, Crazy4Camping said:

Yes it is but then hubby and I got thinking about the fact that most drinks end up close to $10 each with the gratuity and because he would have to pay every time he wanted a Coke(2 with dinner and we've already spent $6), we may be buying the package just to make life easier.  Plus I can get unlimited energy drinks, vitamin water, milkshakes, etc. so I think we can prob each spend close to that $55/day it's going to cost.

But would you if you didn't get Cheers? Not saying you should or shouldn't, it's  just that this reasoning always makes me wonder. 

(I totally get it when people buy Cheers knowing that if they don't they won't buy that milkshake/coffee/whatever they will really enjoy  -  even knowing they may not break even. I just don't get drinking that whatever solely to break even). 

25 minutes ago, NillaB said:

But would you if you didn't get Cheers? Not saying you should or shouldn't, it's  just that this reasoning always makes me wonder. 

(I totally get it when people buy Cheers knowing that if they don't they won't buy that milkshake/coffee/whatever they will really enjoy  -  even knowing they may not break even. I just don't get drinking that whatever solely to break even). 

I thought of that as well and figured we're on vacation and don't want to skimp like we would at home.  This is our first and last cruise so we decided even if we didn't break even it would be way less stressful than thinking about what we were spending everytime I wanted a bottle of water, which yes I do drink tons of so that alone will prob  be worth it!

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:16 AM, matymil said:

Same. I always get Karib when I go down there. I also stop and get Gasolinas in PR everytime we go down there. Afew years back they did not sell them in the States (they do now) so we always used to stock up while down there.

BTW, it's Carib and we love it. In St.Thomas there is a bar at the dock that serves $2 Caribs. 

1 hour ago, Crazy4Camping said:

I thought of that as well and figured we're on vacation and don't want to skimp like we would at home.  This is our first and last cruise so we decided even if we didn't break even it would be way less stressful than thinking about what we were spending everytime I wanted a bottle of water, which yes I do drink tons of so that alone will prob  be worth it!

And that I completely get!

2 hours ago, NillaB said:

While I haven't done it on Carnival, Both my wife and I got the drink package on our first RCI cruise in 2017, however we got it for $38/day, I probably broke even, but my wife came out way ahead, as she drinks frozen drinks, and like to sip them all day long.  On our second cruise this year, we had our sons, so I opted for just the middle package (everything non-alcoholic) and my wife got the full package ($45), and we both got our money from it.  

Neither of us are heavy drinkers, but really enjoyed just the worry free part, of not worrying about the cost, and just ordering whatever looked or sounded interesting.  We saw people walk buy and would ask what they had and give it a try.  Sometimes we liked them, others not so much.  We could have saved money and just not bought any alcohol at all, obviously.

12 minutes ago, rukkian said:

While I haven't done it on Carnival, Both my wife and I got the drink package on our first RCI cruise in 2017, however we got it for $38/day, I probably broke even, but my wife came out way ahead, as she drinks frozen drinks, and like to sip them all day long.  On our second cruise this year, we had our sons, so I opted for just the middle package (everything non-alcoholic) and my wife got the full package ($45), and we both got our money from it.  

Neither of us are heavy drinkers, but really enjoyed just the worry free part, of not worrying about the cost, and just ordering whatever looked or sounded interesting.  We saw people walk buy and would ask what they had and give it a try.  Sometimes we liked them, others not so much.  We could have saved money and just not bought any alcohol at all, obviously.

I totally get doing it for the worry-free aspect.

But sometimes it seems to make people aim to drink more than they really want? And that I don't get. 

• Like 1