Live Blog – Silhouette Nov 3 – Beaches to Broadway – Pull up a seat and Join

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, Ekware68 said:

Hi Jim. 

We did this cruise last year on the eclipse - and loved it!  

We’re in New York this week and I thought you may appreciate this photo of you sailing in past the Statue of Liberty. 

Eric

94370A7A-E528-48B8-8356-CFA52E97DA39.jpeg

Thanks so much.   That is really a great picture.  

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I checked and he is no longer aboard.   They were not sure if he will be coming back to Silhouette 

Jim,

Than you so much for checking on Anthony. So far, two of my three favorite crew are no longer on Silhouette- Niko and Anthony. I almost afraid to ask about the third. But I will. Is Cranston still the bartender in Michael’s?

Enjoy the cold/cool weather while you can. I live in N. Florida and we have had unusually warm weather for this time of the year. I imagine it is similar in the rest  of the state.

I would love to spend a few days where a coat and gloves are required. Instead, I am headed to the ABC islands.

Again, thanks for answering my and  many others questions. It is nice of you to go  research all this.

• Like 1

Timed my lunch break right today and was able to catch these images of you coming up the Hudson River and docked in NYC

image.thumb.png.ff1cfb7b0331e7bf4a720cb2a24c8c5b.png

image.thumb.png.d2f84d1637b8566c62a91612c4fc15a0.png

We're looking forward to boarding on December 9 in Ft Lauderdale

Thanks for bringing us along on your trip

Jed

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Have noticed the Christmas/Holiday street markets are in full swing in NYC.   Quite a few are in walking distance to the ship, Columbus Circle and Bryant Park.

The outdoor ones are open to 8 pm.    The one in Grand Central Station is indoors and open later.   I would imagine there won’t be many passengers on the ship this evening.    We have a favorite Italian restaurant on 48th St so we will be there tonight.    The weather services rare now saying the late evenings rains will end by 11 AM on Tuesday so we have a decent second day in NYC.

We walked to Bryant Park when we got off the ship and then walked to Grand Central Station. We ended up in bar on W46th to watch Monday Night Football as the Giants were playing.

The weather forecast we’ve seen for Tuesday is now showing rain until 3pm so we are keeping our plans fluid until the morning.

I’ve uploaded a video of us going under the Verrazano bridge to my Instagram.

6533A6B0-1036-4FB5-A2E7-EC4E7B4085A7.jpeg

47803488-C815-4F06-A5FA-65013CA3FB9A.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UKPete71 said:

I’ve uploaded a video of us going under the Verrazano bridge to my Instagram

I watched it and wanted to duck my head as you approached the bridge!!

I was amazed that you cleared the bridge easily.

Also excellent camera work, did you use a tripod?

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Straughn said:

Jim,

Than you so much for checking on Anthony. So far, two of my three favorite crew are no longer on Silhouette- Niko and Anthony. I almost afraid to ask about the third. But I will. Is Cranston still the bartender in Michael’s?

Enjoy the cold/cool weather while you can. I live in N. Florida and we have had unusually warm weather for this time of the year. I imagine it is similar in the rest  of the state.

I would love to spend a few days where a coat and gloves are required. Instead, I am headed to the ABC islands.

Again, thanks for answering my and  many others questions. It is nice of you to go  research all this.

Cranston was there last cruise and I think he is on for a couple of cruises and then on vacation, after which he is going to the Reflection.

23 hours ago, amitje said:

Enjoy your cruise! We'll be on our first Celebrity cruise in February - on the Silhouette.

Is my understanding correct that the drinks included in the Classic package have gone up from 9$ to 11$ per serving and that when you have a Classic Drinks package (as part of the free perks) - you don't need to pay gratuities on top of this?

Celebrity website still says 9$ per serving..

Celebrity Website is still stating the limit $9.    I'll ask a bartender when I'm out if it has been changed to $11.   Maybe some other that have the package can advise. 

14 hours ago, Straughn said:

Jim,

Your in luck.   Cranston is indeed on the ship until end of January.   He is really a fun bartender.   While Niko has moved onto Infinity as Suites Manager, you will enjoy Vanessa as the MCC.    I would rate her as one of the top concierges we have sailed with.  

12 hours ago, ecslady said:

That Is very interesting. Did you and other passengers expect this? Anyone really upset about this?

it was not expected.   They had previously posted in the Today that they would have to charge New York Sales Tax for drinks while in port, but when got back from our walk they had the notices on the bars.    Cranston said they had applied for and received a Bar Permit but were surprised with the restriction of beer and wine sales only.  

We were speaking with a couple who live in New York and done this itinerary before and didn't have that restriction.    

So far I've not heard any complaints.   Everyone seems to be rolling with the punches. 

9 hours ago, UKPete71 said:

We walked to Bryant Park when we got off the ship and then walked to Grand Central Station. We ended up in bar on W46th to watch Monday Night Football as the Giants were playing.

The weather forecast we’ve seen for Tuesday is now showing rain until 3pm so we are keeping our plans fluid until the morning.

I’ve uploaded a video of us going under the Verrazano bridge to my Instagram.

6533A6B0-1036-4FB5-A2E7-EC4E7B4085A7.jpeg

47803488-C815-4F06-A5FA-65013CA3FB9A.jpeg

We did much the same.   Was a beautiful evening and temperatures were comfortable.

We went out for a walk yesterday late afternoon.    

First up was Time Square which is a comfortable 6 block away. 

C86066DE-EDFE-4863-A1FB-C1BF0DB1140E.thumb.jpeg.3fbc31a9f1482f4564d3ef6f9872f61d.jpeg

21796161-8039-4EE7-99F6-0D1F9F17F595.thumb.jpeg.8923434ead07412efba469586ad70db8.jpeg

The infamous Naked Cowboy was out performing for tips.   Brrrtrr

286E18F2-713A-411C-AAD3-4880054573AB.thumb.jpeg.2edf5b83987a7818a8ae31441922368f.jpeg

we next walked another 1/2 mile to Rockefeller center.  The Xmas Tree is up and scaffolding surrounding it to begin decoration. 

4B9F0AB9-BB3F-42A5-B495-029D96B1971A.thumb.jpeg.7bf5e6e0a8c758ad1a0b2ea0757e8cbf.jpeg

E772BA24-6AC3-48F0-BEEE-DD0BF3138F80.thumb.jpeg.ee4f93409135ed3e071fb3cfa9f423b8.jpeg

D34CA242-9CFE-4C96-BC3A-018CD20C7653.thumb.jpeg.6d3f3b6f9275cf107d828a01cbc9c39d.jpeg

5BC19B9C-B248-481F-9E62-D33C71673953.thumb.jpeg.199068ec245bba83366f9b85094da52b.jpeg

6 hours ago, upwarduk said:

I watched it and wanted to duck my head as you approached the bridge!!

I was amazed that you cleared the bridge easily.

Also excellent camera work, did you use a tripod?

Thanks. I didn’t use a tripod. I rested my phone on the rail of the walkway between port and stardboard near the mid-ship elevators.

• Like 2

WARNING!!!    AGRESSIVE SPECIALTY RESTAURANT SELLING 

I've heard of aggressive selling of Specialty Restaurants but this is the worse I have ever experienced.   Not only are they aggressively selling they seem to be more aggressive than I have ever seen.   Last night they were almost arguing with us when we politely said no thanks.    

Reservations must not be doing well.    Even last evening in Luminea our waiter was pushing The Chef's Table at a "Special Price for either the two of us or even 3 if Marsha wished to join us"   

I definitely plan on slamming the behavior on our Survey at the end of the cruise.   I've gotten to be as rude to them as I would a telephone solicitor, not even responding and walking past them. 

21 hours ago, ischeer said:

Just noticed the alcohol sales restrctions in the Daily.  So I guess you'll have to have your Daily Cocktail Special Manhattan before your dock.

I imagine there will be many unhappy beverage package passengers. Will they be partially refunded for the days in New York?

Hi Jim -  Followed your blog with interest as we board Silhouette on the 30th of this month for a B2B cruise.  You have had a great time, and looks like the weather yesterday was better than today looking at the Port Webcam.

If you get the chance -- could you find out who is the Maitre d' in Murano and if Roxanne is still there - Thanks.