Champagne, sparkling wine or Prosecco with classic drink package?

dis2cruise

1 hour ago, Muffinz said:

We were able to get sparkling wine / prosecco on our Solstice cruise with the classic package.... if you want proper champagne then you'll need to upgrade

Not necessary to upgrade as they could just pay the difference in price  etween tge Classic package limit and the price of Champagne.

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Not necessary to upgrade as they could just pay the difference in price  etween tge Classic package limit and the price of Champagne.

Has something changed? It used to be that "Classic" packages were NOT allowed to just pay the difference.  That was only for "Premium" packages when ordering something more expensive than the premium limits(i.e., wines above $14. per glass).  This was always my justification to upgrade, as the cost of one martini at the Martini Bar was more than the cost of the upgrade...and I had at least one per day, so...:classic_biggrin:

Champagne is only offered on the premium package. In my opinion it would be worth it to upgrade to premium if you are going to have more than 2 glasses. I believe it was $15/glass so you would be paying $6 plus 18% gratuity for each glass since you already have the classic package. If you upgrade not only won’t you have to sign for anything, but you will be able to have other drinks from the premium package as well.....on our cruise last month I had champagne every night for dinner. I don’t even know how many glasses I had, as the sommelier just kept filling it up since I had the premium package😳.....The glasses are small! 😂......Whatever you decide to do enjoy!!

Vintages?  I think you will be very disappointed in the Premium package offerings.  If you want to drink decent Champagne (the real stuff from France) you will have to purchase entire bottles.  The problem is that even with the Premium Package there are only certain items that the bar tenders and sommeliers will serve by the glass.  A couple of years ago we befriended a sommelier in Blu and had a talk about opening better wines.  Her ability to do so was limited by policy since X is concerned that if they open an expensive bottle and serve 1 or 2 glasses they would be stuck (and often have to dump) what remains.   We really pushed her to open some interesting wines and did get some cooperation with a few reds.  But Champagne has such a limited shelf life, once opened, that they will not take the gamble.   I do not recall being able to get something as basic as Moet....by the glass.  Perhaps that has changed in the past year...but I would be skeptical.

Hank

Don't upgrade.

Yes, you will get well drinks with the Classic package but the cost is not worth it unless you really want top shelf liquor.

We drink a lot of Prosseco, even if not on a cruise, I have bought a lot of Prosseco at $9 a bottle and it's just as good if not better than some champagnes.

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Vintages?  I think you will be very disappointed in the Premium package offerings.  If you want to drink decent Champagne (the real stuff from France) you will have to purchase entire bottles.  The problem is that even with the Premium Package there are only certain items that the bar tenders and sommeliers will serve by the glass.  A couple of years ago we befriended a sommelier in Blu and had a talk about opening better wines.  Her ability to do so was limited by policy since X is concerned that if they open an expensive bottle and serve 1 or 2 glasses they would be stuck (and often have to dump) what remains.   We really pushed her to open some interesting wines and did get some cooperation with a few reds.  But Champagne has such a limited shelf life, once opened, that they will not take the gamble.   I do not recall being able to get something as basic as Moet....by the glass.  Perhaps that has changed in the past year...but I would be skeptical.

Hank

Not getting into a debate about the quality of this particular label but I've seen this Champagne (the real stuff from France) on several Celebrity menu's posted here and there (this one from the Priesmans April 2018 cruise).

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 5.33.19 PM.png

1 hour ago, m8zenblue said:

Again, I know we are all beating this to death, but, Prosseco is available with Classic Package.

Prosseco is a champagne like beverage made in Italy, not France, it's every bit as good as some French champagnes.

Yes, champagne, cava and prosseco are similar beverages.  Cava and champagne are even made with the same methode, but with different grapes. They are made in France, Spain and Italy.

That said... if I did a blind tasting of the 3, I'm sure I couldn't tell them apart 😂

23 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

Not getting into a debate about the quality of this particular label but I've seen this Champagne (the real stuff from France) on several Celebrity menu's posted here and there (this one from the Priesmans April 2018 cruise).

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 5.33.19 PM.png

Perrier Jouet is an excellent real Champagne which we would happily drink anytime :).  But the OP was asking about drink packages and Perrir Jouet far exceeds the package amount so one would have to pay the difference with either drink package.  I did try theDomaine Carneros (Rose) and was impressed.  While not a true Champagne (because it is from California) it is really a quality Sparkling Rose.  But even that wine means a slight upsell charge...even with the premium package.

Hank

24 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Perrier Jouet is an excellent real Champagne which we would happily drink anytime :).  But the OP was asking about drink packages and Perrir Jouet far exceeds the package amount so one would have to pay the difference with either drink package.  I did try theDomaine Carneros (Rose) and was impressed.  While not a true Champagne (because it is from California) it is really a quality Sparkling Rose.  But even that wine means a slight upsell charge...even with the premium package.

Hank

Can you see the first item on the list? It's Champagne. It's from France. It's within the price threshold of the Premium Package.