Booking a cruise while on a cruise

1 minute ago, Setting Sail Gal said:

What is the deal RCL offers for booking a cruise while on a cruise?  Has anyone had problems/ successes doing this? Thanks Karen

On our last cruise we booked a cruise for May of 2019.  We did get a $200 OBC so that was nice. However before I went to the Next Cruise dept to book I did my own research to price the cruise I wanted and so I would know the price beforehand.

Except for the OBC you won’t get any better price and you have to make sure what they are quoting you is the correct price with all the discounts you are eligible for.

So in a nutshell....yes you get your OBC, just be sure you have all the info before going in!!

And just know that if you find a lower price before your final payment date you can apply for it and NEVER lose your onboard booking credit when your cruise is repriced!!!

On my recent cruise the deposit was $100 non-refundable if the cruise was booked with Future Cruises.  If I had booked on-line the deposit was $350 non-refundable.  And you may get some or more OBC booking with Future Cruises on board. 

Edited by DeputyDawg46

10 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

And just know that if you find a lower price before your final payment date you can apply for it and NEVER lose your onboard booking credit when your cruise is repriced!!! 

I disagree with this statement.  I lost all the OBC when I took advantage of a newer incentive. With the reduced fare and losing the OBC it was a net gain of $75. The agent I talked to said this is common.

Also be aware that with OBC received for booking means no stockholder benefit.

The only advantage for me was the reduced deposit by booking onboard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BillHana said:

I disagree with this statement.  I lost all the OBC when I took advantage of a newer incentive. With the reduced fare and losing the OBC it was a net gain of $75. The agent I talked to said this is common.

Also be aware that with OBC received for booking means no stockholder benefit.

The only advantage for me was the reduced deposit by booking onboard.

I always thought that when you repriced a cruise to get a lower price you would lose any OBC.  I found out that in the case of OBC you got from booking a cruise onboard you do  not lose it.

Recently I found a great price drop on my May cruise.  I called, got the price drop and kept my $200 onboard booking OBC.  At first the person I spoke with wasn’t sure but I respectfully asked them to ask their supervisor and he came back and said I was correct.  That you should never lose your onboard booking credit when repricing your cruise.

As usual Royal gives out conflicting information...

• Like 1

We used to book a cruise or two on board but not any more.  We find little incentive and don't bother.  Shorter cruises get no benefit at all.  I don't  find the agents to be particularly  helpful, especially if you are unsure of  what you want.  Once an agent seemed annoyed when we asked about a few cruises and options and didn't commit  to anything.     If you know  exactly what you want ( date/cabin category/ship/itinerary) for an upcoming cruise then it might  be worth your time for an extra 100+ of OBC.   They advertise up to $600 of cabin credit, but of course that is for  longer cruises in a super suite.    We find little truth in their claim of better pricing or better selection of cabins. 

just my two cents

M

15 minutes ago, BillHana said:

Despite what the agent told you, that is not supposed to happen. Did you maybe lose OBC that was part of the cruise you booked and not the OBC for booking onboard? I have gotten a lower price on cruises booked onboard and have never lost the OBC for booking onboard.

We always book when on board, and always do our research beforehand so we go in with exactly the cruise dates/cabins we want. The reduced deposit and OBC help a lot, especially when we are booking multiple cruises. When you know what ships/cabins you want and when you want to cruise, the whole Next Cruise process takes maybe 10-15 minutes out of your cruise. Last December we booked five cruises while on board, and got a total of $1,000 in OBC. Took all of 20 minutes to complete everything. That works out to a salary equivalent of ~$3,000/hour.:classic_smile:

Works great if you know exactly what cruise you want to go on and book nonrefundable. If you think you are going to change the dates or ship little to no benefits. When we checked into it 2 weeks ago and wanted refundable because dates we wanted have not been released yet, we would have gotten only $75 on board credit and no break in the deposit. Not worth it to tie up the full deposit for a couple months for $75

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We used to book a cruise or two on board but not any more.  We find little incentive and don't bother.  Shorter cruises get no benefit at all.  I don't  find the agents to be particularly  helpful, especially if you are unsure of  what you want.  Once an agent seemed annoyed when we asked about a few cruises and options and didn't commit  to anything.     If you know  exactly what you want ( date/cabin category/ship/itinerary) for an upcoming cruise then it might  be worth your time for an extra 100+ of OBC.   They advertise up to $600 of cabin credit, but of course that is for  longer cruises in a super suite.    We find little truth in their claim of better pricing or better selection of cabins. 

just my two cents

M

Ditto this!!

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 8:54 PM, Setting Sail Gal said:

What is the deal RCL offers for booking a cruise while on a cruise?  Has anyone had problems/ successes doing this? Thanks Karen

I've booked several RC sailings in their Next Cruise office.  Got some sizable OBC, the best choice of cabins, and walked away with a free bottle of champagne as a gift for my booking. Not bad!

Lots of different views for sure.

BillHana you said"incentives" not just price drop. 

I completely agree about shopping and comparing dates at home. The agent is NOT going to spend time like our friendly TA at home. They plan a short window for each guest to chat and book. They are not going to offer you water, soda or coffee. They will usually have a reduced (nonrefundable) deposit of $100/pp,  that is nice as it does NOT tie up your cash for 6, 9 or more months. At home the deposit is $350/pp. The OBC of $200 is nice as it equals the deposit amount. When you see a price drop, it can be applied before final payment with ease. After final if you are nice it can usually be added to your OBC amount. That is NOT the same as seeing an incentive, such as 60% off 2nd guest or kids sail free or 30% off each guest in cabin. An incentive would mean you need to cancel your booking and rebook under the incentive. IF you did that, you would be out your OBC given when booking on ship and that nonrefundable deposit of $100/pp. It is always a good idea to be sure you want a certain ship, sail date, deck and cabin before ever booking on ship. If all that matches, watch for price drops and then, enjoy your cruise.

Edited by sandy toes
opps!

1 minute ago, sandy toes said:

Lots of different views for sure.

BillHana you said"incentives" not just price drop. 

I completely agree about shopping and comparing dates at home. The agent is NOT going to spend time like out friendly TA at home. They plan a short window for each guest to chat and book. They are not going to offer you water, soda or coffee. They will usually have a reduced (nonrefundable) deposit of $100/pp,  that is nice as it does NOT tie up your cash for 6, 9 or more months. The OBC of $200 is nice as it equals the deposit amount. When you see a price drop, it can be applied before final payment with ease. After final if you are nice it can usually be added to your OBC amount. That is NOT the same as seeing an incentive, such as 60% off 2nd guest or kids sail free or 30% off each guest in cabin. An incentive would mean you need to cancel your booking and rebook under the incentive. IF you did that, you would be out your OBC given when booking on ship and that nonrefundable deposit of $100/pp. It is always a good idea to be sure you want a certain ship, sail date, deck and cabin before ever booking on ship. If all that matches, watch for price drops and then, enjoy your cruise.

You do not need to cancel bookings to take advantage of different incentives.  Just call and they will reprice with the new incentive.  Just did this with a reservation that was booked on board when the switched from  50% off to 60% off the second guest.

OURUSUALBEACH: 

Did you lose cash? I was going to do this once and was told that I would lose my OBC because it was not a price drop but an incentive rebooking. I did NOT ask for my cruise booking to be canceled but was told it would have to be if I wanted to take advantage of the 60% deal that was on at the time. I said thanks and hung up leaving my booking alone. I called again about 4 hours later and was again told the same thing by a different person. For me at the time, it was better to just keep the ship deal and not cancel/rebook for the incentive. 

6 minutes ago, sandy toes said:

OURUSUALBEACH: 

Did you lose cash? I was going to do this once and was told that I would lose my OBC because it was not a price drop but an incentive rebooking. I did NOT ask for my cruise booking to be canceled but was told it would have to be if I wanted to take advantage of the 60% deal that was on at the time. I said thanks and hung up leaving my booking alone. I called again about 4 hours later and was again told the same thing by a different person. For me at the time, it was better to just keep the ship deal and not cancel/rebook for the incentive. 

I’ve never lost the OBC for booking on board doing this.  Just keep calling back and get someone else on the line that knows what they are doing.

Note, it is only the OBC from booking on board that you keep.  Any OBC that may have been as part of an incentive at the time you booked would be lost.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I don't know how the reservation was revised. I had my TA check for a better fare and after a long hold I was connect to a three-way call with TA, RCL agent, and me. When the dust settled my total was reduced a little and OBC credit reduced. Lots of numbers change and codes I don't understand. Reservation ID remained the same.

The original done onboard in January 2018 for a cruise in October:

image.thumb.png.62b21faf350da8b84c785664cf38fdde.png

After accepting the reduced fare in May:

image.thumb.png.38edc23b37100fc3095f963c21b5f992.png

Only benefit from booking onboard was the reduced deposit.

Over the years, we booked our future cruises while on board, because of the reduced deposits.  I always did research before booking our next cruise on board, and I found the agents on board weren’t that knowledgeable.  One agent actually told me that RC does not and has never sailed to Key West.  Another agent insisted that my ECV would fit through the door of a standard cabin.  The last time we booked on board, we booked three cruises, and she totally screwed up the charges using the wrong credit cards.  When I got home, I spent hours itemizing all the wrong debits and credits she had done. The person at the C&A desk was very appreciative that I sorted out the mess the on board agent created.

We always book refundable.  Bottom line, I don’t really care about the OBC, I just like the reduced deposits so that I can book more than one cruise at a time.  The OBC is just icing on the cake.  Since they no longer offer reduced deposits to refundable bookings, we no longer book on board, since the agents are not very knowledgeable.

On 11/1/2018 at 9:11 AM, blackshirt said:

Despite what the agent told you, that is not supposed to happen. Did you maybe lose OBC that was part of the cruise you booked and not the OBC for booking onboard? I have gotten a lower price on cruises booked onboard and have never lost the OBC for booking onboard.

Thru many upgrades and price reductions, we have never lost our OBC for booking onboard.  That agent was wrong.

You will lose the old $100 OBC for the deposit issues.

1 hour ago, steveru621 said:

They are still advertising OBC.

http://www.royalonboardsales.com/#seeoffer

Is it your point that we should believe what is on the RC website?  ha ha ha ha ha   They still list Dynamic Dining on the Anthem!  (gone since November 2016)

Non-Refundable Deposit Program FAQ 8/1/18

1. Why does Royal Caribbean provide fares that require a non-refundable deposit?
Non-refundable deposit fares give Royal Caribbean an opportunity to simplify our promotional landscape, while also providing our guests with added confidence to book early and our travel partners the reassurance in more qualified, dependable business
2. What are the key benefits of the non-refundable deposit fares?
The added benefits that come with the non-refundable fares include not only more consistent pricing, but pricing that will always be lower than the standard fare during brand pomotions. Those who opt to take advantage of non-refundable deposit fares prior to November 1st, 2018 will automatically qualify to earn an onboard credit of up to $100 per stateroom. Those who book non-refundable deposit fares on-or-after November 1st, 2018 will no longer qualify to earn an onboard credit of up to $100 per stateroom. The onboard credit is combinable with the existing promotional offer available at time of booking, offering you the ability to stack on additional savings for the best deal out there.
3. Why was the decision made to remove the onboard credit for bookings made on-or-after November 1st, 2018?
Over the past year, we regularly monitored booking analytics and conducted research which identified that the onboard credit was not influencing the consumer's buying decision. Based on these findings, the decision was made to sunset the onboard credit and to ensure that the non-refundable deposit program continues to offer the lowest pricing. This change will take effect for all new bookings made on-or-after November 1st, 2018.
4. Will this change impact existing reservations confirmed under a non-refundable deposit fare?
Unless a change occurs to an existing reservation that forces a reprice to the booking, no impact will be seen to existing reservations. The amendments that lead to a reprice include, but aren't limited to, amending the ship, sailing, or category of an existing reservation, as well as converting to a different fare or promotional offer. Should a reprice occur on-or after November 1st, 2018, the onboard credit will no longer apply
5. Are non-refundable deposit fares available to book on all ships fleet-wide?
Yes, non-refundable deposit fares are available to book on all ships.
6. Why was the decision made to enforce only non-refundable deposit fare options for Suite inventory (specifically Grand Suite or higher) and Guarantee categories?
In an effort to preserve our valued Suite inventory and to ensure availability for our committed guests, a non-refundable deposit will become the only option for those guests interested in reserving an upper Suite. This also holds true for guarantee categories, including W/WS, X/XB, XN, Y/YO, and Z/ZI, where lower lead fares are typically the best deal.
7. What is a change fee and when will it be incurred?
In an effort to deter continual or late ship/sail date adjustments, a change fee of $100 per guest will be imposed to all reservations booked under a nonrefundable deposit fare that opts to change either the ship and/or sail date originally selected. Such fees will be incurred, without exception, at time of change, thus, emphasizing the importance of ensuring that you are aware of the detailed terms of this program at time of booking.
8. Should multiple changes to the ship and/or sail date be required, will multiple change fees be incurred?
Multiple adjustments to the ship and/or sail date of a booking will result in the assessment of a $100 per guest change fee for each qualifying change made to the reservation. There is no limit on the number of change fees that can be incurred.
9.Should you choose to cancel a reservation confirmed under a non-refundable deposit fare, what refunds will apply?
Outside of the final payment DATE , when a non-refundable deposit cancellation occurs, you will receive a Future Cruise Certificate in the amount of your designated cruise deposit, less the $100 per guest change fee. Such Future Cruise Certificates can be applied towards your a future Royal Caribbean cruise vacation when reserved within 1 year of the issue date. Thereafter, the Future Cruise Certificate will expire and becomes invalid.
10. Are non-refundable deposit programs combinable with promotional offers and other discounted fare options?
Non-refundable deposit fares are combinable with promotional onboard credit and instant savings offers, Crown & Anchor discounts, restricted discounts, Shareholder Benefits, NextCruise benefits and Interline Rates. Such fares are not combinable with any other offer or promotion, including but not limited to Standard Group fare, Travel Agent, Travel Agent friends & family, net Rates and Weekly sales events. Combinanility is dependent upon qualified benefits
11. How are NextCruise bookings impacted by the introduction of non-refundable deposits?
The same non-refundable deposit guidelines apply to all reservations, regardless of booking channel.
12. Will the required deposit amount also change?
At this time, the deposit amount structure per guest/stateroom is not changing.