Civitavecchia hotel says they're overbooked and we must move

Orator

Just received an email from a hotel in Civitavecchia that they will not honor our paid reservation that was made in February for our stay on November 11th.They offered to move us to an inferior hotel that costs half the price. They did not offer a price reduction. I've sent them a copy of my original reservation so they have all the details. Are there any hotels within easy distance of FCO?

Edited by Orator

6 minutes ago, Orator said:

Just received an email from a hotel in Civitavecchia that they will not honor our paid reservation that was made in February for our stay on November 11th.They offered to move us to an inferior hotel that costs half the price. They did not offer a price reduction. I've sent them a copy of my original reservation so they have all the details. Are there any hotels within easy distance of FCO? Any suggestions appreciated.

Not sure where you were staying but when we were last in Civitavecchia we stayed at 5 rooms Affittacamere .. it is basic, but clean and convenient ( actually at the railway station). We had a room that overlooked the port but I think that some rooms may look over the station. Breakfast is at the station cafe! We would book there again.

Marriot  in Fuminico, was very nice...cute little authentic seaside  town...good food..easy cab to airport the next morning,...order ahead!

We took a pre ordered  limo to the  hotel after our cruise...good move..they  picked  us up right at the pier  and got through all the traffic spots.. We checked in, had a nice walk..pizzza lunch and excellent dinner at local eatery just past the police station.

Off to the airport early am

Edited by hcat

Guess they are asking fellow Cruise Critic members for assistance, being frequent posters here themselves for many yrs.

Btw I assumed this is for  post cruise...If OP needs pre cruise  then we like Hotel San Giorgio,,.in Cv Take a limo there from FCO.....close to pier!

Edited by hcat

Thanks all for the information. In terms of why post here: At some point I may name the hotel. It is used very frequently by Celebrity cruisers and there have been past posts about this particular hotel engaging in this practice. I feel its important for Celebrity cruisers to be aware of what they might experience when they book any element of their cruise. My cruise is on Constellation departing November 11th.

Edited by Orator

2 minutes ago, Orator said:

Thanks all for the information. In terms of why post here: At some point I may name the hotel. It is used very frequently by Celebrity cruisers and there have been past posts about this particular hotel engaging in this practice. I feel its important for Celebrity cruisers to be aware of what they might experience when they book any element of their cruise. My cruise is on Constellation departing November 11th.

So you need accommodation for November 10th ?

not defending any hotel especially if they've done this before but I was reading a blog of a Princess cruiser yesterday who was boarding NCL out of CIV.  she said her hotel room was flooded the night before. This could be the same hotel and they really could be down some rooms.

1 minute ago, workingtocruise-59 said:

So you need accommodation for November 10th ?

Yes. Trying to decide if I should try to find a place in Civitavecchia or stay near FCO and get a ride the morning of the 11th. 

I'm also doing a little venting. I've stayed at this hotel many times and paid extra for a particular room. I really think its wrong to cancel a reservation that was fully paid in February, 2018.They have suggested we go to Hotel Baia Del Sol. Has anyone stayed there?

14 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

not defending any hotel especially if they've done this before but I was reading a blog of a Princess cruiser yesterday who was boarding NCL out of CIV.  she said her hotel room was flooded the night before. This could be the same hotel and they really could be down some rooms.

Yes, sometimes an event happens that makes it impossible to honor a reservation. I've seen rooms become unavailable on Celebrity ships. I one case there was a flood caused by a leak from above. This however was not the case here. Simply that there was an over booking problem and they are requiring people to move without any consideration.

On a happy note for me: Just heard from the hotel after I sent my original reservation and used some names, that I might not get the room I paid extra to get, but at least I'll be at the Hotel. I might actually enjoy sleeping in the lobby. Unfortunately, someone else might be bumped and they will vent on Cruise Critic. Thanks all!

Glad it worked out...

Better to stay in Cv pre cruise, and  close to airport post cruise!

So what's the  name of the hotel ?    They can get credit for reconsidering your early pre paid booking!

Glad to worked out for Orator but not sure a hotel should get ‘credit’ when they were going to cnx a prepaid reservation barely a week prior and it’s overseas. Understand this happens but not this close to the time. 

Good it worked out though. 

Den

31 minutes ago, Orator said:

Yes, sometimes an event happens that makes it impossible to honor a reservation. I've seen rooms become unavailable on Celebrity ships. I one case there was a flood caused by a leak from above. This however was not the case here. Simply that there was an over booking problem and they are requiring people to move without any consideration.

On a happy note for me: Just heard from the hotel after I sent my original reservation and used some names, that I might not get the room I paid extra to get, but at least I'll be at the Hotel. I might actually enjoy sleeping in the lobby. Unfortunately, someone else might be bumped and they will vent on Cruise Critic. Thanks all!

Sincere best wishes that your vacation starts to improve....It really is so annoying/frustrating/not acceptable that hotels fail to honour bookings other than in an emergency. Like yourselves, we tend to book early to ensure we have the exact accommodation we want.

To the poster who commented  ‘Why post on cruise critic.’ ....If you are ever in a jam you will find out. In March we were in a situation of flights under threat of cancellation but not yet cancelled from the U.K. to Florida owing to bad weather hitting Philadelphia and other cities....We tried to get information from every possible source and to be perfectly honest CC posters were brilliant. They reported on personal experience, on the spot observation and with care and compassion. If we are ever again in a difficult situation, as Orator presently is, we will turn to our friends on CC! 

I am not saying if part of my holiday booking went pear shaped I wouldn’t also look at other options for information/advice but I genuinely feel that if I post an issue on CC I will get worthwhile information back. Sometimes comments from others who have been in your situation, or can at least offer alternative suggestions, is worth far more than a ‘we are sorry but....’ from a booking agency or hotel chain.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Orator said:

Please name the hotel to avoid falling into the same trap. It would be good if we knew if they does this frequently.

Edited by gerelmx

4 hours ago, Orator said:

Charles -- I am sorry this has happened to you and Cindy.  And I fully understand the urge to vent on CC.  Hopefully the hotel will make all well for you, but I am curious as to what hotel this is.  

Take care,

Gerry

I will mention the name after my stay. I was at the reception desk about a year ago and I couldn't help hear a "discussion" where a couple was told by the a Manager (I think) that they would not be able to stay at the hotel since it was over booked and a reservation had been made nearby. That, combined with another posting on Cruise Critic leads me to maintain complete records of any communications with them. I really think that having the dated and paid original reservation helped. I had an executed contract and they knew that I would be aggressive. I really appreciate those who offered suggestions.

• Like 1

Well said, Chemmo. When a hotel refuses to honor one’s reservation (made months in advance) with only a few days notice, it’s reasonable to turn to fellow CC members for information and advice.

Edited by Silkroad