Western or Eastern Caribbean?

sevenfish

They're both warmer than Michigan in winter, for one thing.  

In general Western is more flat.  If you want Mayan ruins they're in the Western end.

Eastern routes generally get out around San Juan, Virgin Islands, maybe St Maarten, where the terrain is more mountainous and scenic.

You'll get plenty of palm trees either way.  

Per my response on your other similar thread, each one is different and we like each one for different reasons.  That being said probably the island mix of the Eastern is more preferable to us. 

But IMO the Southern is the best of all, which would typically include the islands below St. Martin.  In particular, I think the itineraries that include the A-B-C's are among the best.  I realize that is not what you asked but it is certainly worth consideration.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Have to compare actual itineraries , not just East or West .

If the East visits Nassau , I'd lean to any Western itinerary over that although a first timer may actually enjoy a Nassau stop.

The West cruises mainly in the Caribbean whereas the East will mostly sail in the Atlantic.

Southern is the most diverse and interesting.

Eastern is nice but not a fan of Nassau - if you have not been to Atlantis, then that might be worthwhile otherwise, I'd just stay onboard that day.

Western ports are fun.  Jamaica has great tubing on the White River, we love going to private beach clubs such as Mr. Sanchos in Mexico.

On 11/7/2018 at 5:59 PM, Kruzer Zuker said:

Western, especially Mexican, Belize, Guatemala all have amazing Mayan ruins.

Cuba, the biggest island in the Caribbean, has cities, beaches and mountains and everything in between. Beautiful.  

True, but Cuba is more typically a single port of call - perhaps with Key West or a Bahama island as a second - on shorter 4-5 night itineraries as a focused destination and not usually a day port of call on typical 7 night multi port of call Western itineraries.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On 11/3/2018 at 12:29 AM, sevenfish said:

Hi All. Trying to decide between a Western or Eastern Caribbean itinerary.  What did you like about each? Thanks!

If you want snorkeling the western is better. If you want lush green islands the eastern is better. Shopping is better in the east.