How early can you board the ship?

slugg

Our last cruise was with Royal Caribbean on Oasis of the Seas. We were given a time to show up and board, printed on our passes, and it was relatively late in the day. When we were in the general process of boarding, all of the employees told us we could have gotten there much earlier, despite what our passes said, and they recommended we do so in the future. 

Now we’re going with NCL on The Breakaway out of Miami in April, 2019. We’d like to get on the ship as early as possible for a multitude of reasons. In the combined experience of Cruise Critic, how early can that be?

Thanks in advance!

Just now, Relax@Sea said:

We normally arrive at the terminal between 10:00 - 10:30 no matter what time slot we received then find a seat and relax until we board. We usually are one of the first groups to board the ship.

Ditto.

With NCL, the arrival time means nothing in Miami, for now at least... They begin to let people into the security area around 9:00, but you won't actually be able to go through security until around 10:00. Then, it's to the upstairs waiting area to wait for boarding, about 11:00-11:30 on most days...

Typically boarding seems to begin between 11:00 and 11:30. Getting to the pier around 10:30 usually means getting through security and checked in just in time to board. The selected arrival time when you do your online check-in is completely meaningless.

9 hours ago, slugg said:

Our last cruise was with Royal Caribbean on Oasis of the Seas. We were given a time to show up and board, printed on our passes, and it was relatively late in the day. When we were in the general process of boarding, all of the employees told us we could have gotten there much earlier, despite what our passes said, and they recommended we do so in the future. 

Now we’re going with NCL on The Breakaway out of Miami in April, 2019. We’d like to get on the ship as early as possible for a multitude of reasons. In the combined experience of Cruise Critic, how early can that be?

Thanks in advance!

You can arrive at the terminal as early as you want. Porters are available beginning around 9:00 a.m. The doors open around 10:00 to begin check in. Boarding begins around 11:30, and is by numbered groups. Group numbers are passed out when you check in.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

You can arrive at the terminal as early as you want. Porters are available beginning around 9:00 a.m. The doors open around 10:00 to begin check in. Boarding begins around 11:30, and is by numbered groups. Group numbers are passed out when you check in.

I read that as Group members are passed out when you check in.

I’m thinking this is my kind of crowd!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cloverose said:

Does boarding begin that early in Vancouver when the ship does not embark until 11:59 pm.? We are flying from the east coast and do not know whether to come in a day early or not.

The ship will start general embarkation between 11:00 and 11:30. This is true even if the ship departs at 11:59 pm. 

46 minutes ago, CRZR58 said:

We always show up at the time they tell us to. I've never understood why folks want to show up early to stand in line. What's the advantage of getting on board before your cabin is even ready?

Some people are trying to get a VIBE pass (limited number) and some want to enjoy the ship before the crowd invades.

Edited by Two Wheels Only

1 hour ago, CRZR58 said:

We always show up at the time they tell us to. I've never understood why folks want to show up early to stand in line. What's the advantage of getting on board before your cabin is even ready?

I have paid for the cruise and want it to be as long as possible. I want to be the first to embark and the last to disembark!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CRZR58 said:

1) Vibe passes

2) Start enjoying the Drink Package

3) Lunch before it gets crowded

4) See #2

5) Expore the ship ( again before the crowds)

6) Repeat #2

Would you rather be in the front of the line or back of the line?  We arrive early , it's better sitting at the port than in the hotel room. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CRZR58 said:

Just about the only time I’m in my cabin is to sleep. So it doesn’t matter to me that they aren’t ready right away.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CRZR58 said:

Because the best flight deal you could find from Indianapolis to Orlando arrives before 9 AM, and you’d rather kick it on the boat with a cold beverage than sit around in the airport watching the baggage carousels while waiting for your approved boarding time?

I mean, conceptually. 😉

20 hours ago, CRZR58 said:

For me the cabin being ready is meaningless. I’m not cruising to hang out in my cabin. We like to board early because 

1. We fly in early enough to explore the port city if we want to prior to embarkation day. Would rather get to port early and board than hang out in a hotel room.

2. Lunch and drink package

3. Getting on the ship for us is also the point when the cruise ‘starts’.

my last NCL cruise was out of tamp. Arrived to the port at 10:30. Was on the ship around 11:15; with the time it took to get through security and check in there was very little waiting time.

Edited by sanger727

To each their own and thanks to everyone who shows up early, especially if you're supposed to show up later. Makes it easier for us to get right through when we show up at our scheduled time or later.

Last cruise, we walked right through without any lines after doing a tour of the city. Went to our room, changed and headed out for a late lunch and a drink or two. No lineups. No fuss. No bother. Great way to start our cruise.

Cruise before that, we showed up first thing in the morning, cuz we were with the in-laws who had to be on board right away. Waited in long lines in more than one place. Got into the rush to get onboard. Room wasn't ready, so we schlepped our carry-ons around the ship while we got in line for lunch then in line for drinks.

Gotta say, I prefer getting on later.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 11:12 AM, CRZR58 said:

I usually get to the terminal around 10:30 am and I'm usually one of the first ones on. The moment I'm on that ship, my vacation has started. Why wait until later is what I ask? :classic_blink:

Edited by Heather1972