Help with Regal Princess cabin selection please!

Jilliebean28

Looking at either A124 or C736.  We are doing a last minute Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Regal.  I have booked A124 but am wondering if C736 would be better.  We have never cruised at this time of year and I am worried about motion/rocking as I can tend to some motion sickness (even when using medication).  Would appreciate any help, pros/cons of either location, etc.  Thanks so much!

I don’t have access to the ships layout, but try to book the cabin closest to the center of the ship. To be honest though, this ship is huge I doubt either cabin would present a problem...especially in the Caribbean..

go and ENJOY!

Edited by pal88
Added and correction

5 minutes ago, Jilliebean28 said:

Pal88 and pcsunlover....thank you so much for your help.  Unfortunately as we booked this cruise so last minute the only cabins left are either way forward or way aft.  I am sure we will have a wonderful time no matter!!

If that’s the case, I would choose C736.  You would be on a little lower deck so maybe not as much movement.  I’m prone to seasickness too and have stayed in aft cabins quite a bit without much problem.  I take Bonine every night and every morning. I can’t comment on the forward cabins because we’ve never stayed in one.

Not sure what type of medication you use but... I have terrible motion sickness. I get car sick on winding roads if I'm not driving. I use the Transderm Scop patch. I have been through weather where a bunch (of course not all) of the "iron stomach" people took to their cabins to lie down and all of the doors to the outer decks were locked to keep people from going overboard. I had steak and lobster in Bayou Cafe and had no issues at all. Without my patch I would blow chunks on a calm tender transit. With the patch I have zero issues. Some folks don't like it because it can make them sleepy or give them a dry mouth. I don't have those issues. I really love cruising but, without my patch, it would be impossible. Yes, I look like a total dork with that little round band aid behind my ear but then I look like a total dork anyway and this way I get to cruise.

I, like Thrak suffer from horrible motion sickness and also use the patch for many kinds of travel. And I'd be happy to hang with you Thrak and look like a dork together!  LOL

I have done forward cabins when booking last minute and have also done an aft suite.  I found the forward cabin had more up and down movement but the aft swayed side to side more and that bothered me just a tad more. 

The Regal handles the sea very well though, better than many of the ships I have been on so I would actually slap the patch on and take either.

My wife is another person who’s highly susceptible to all types of motion sickness.  She had adverse affects from the prescription patch & discovered that meclizine (generic Bonine) works best to prevent her symptoms.  It’s an OTC antihistamine which can cause sleepiness in some people so she takes it at night.

The best cabin location for her is on lower decks...midship followed by aft & lastly forward.  C736 would be much better for her than an upper deck forward A124 cabin.  There’s a reason why on most of our cruises it’s usually upper deck forward cabins (except for larger balconies & good views) that are the least expensive & are the last ones to be booked.

Edited by Astro Flyer

On 11/6/2018 at 3:36 AM, Thrak said:

Not sure what type of medication you use but... I have terrible motion sickness. I get car sick on winding roads if I'm not driving. I use the Transderm Scop patch. I have been through weather where a bunch (of course not all) of the "iron stomach" people took to their cabins to lie down and all of the doors to the outer decks were locked to keep people from going overboard. I had steak and lobster in Bayou Cafe and had no issues at all. Without my patch I would blow chunks on a calm tender transit. With the patch I have zero issues. Some folks don't like it because it can make them sleepy or give them a dry mouth. I don't have those issues. I really love cruising but, without my patch, it would be impossible. Yes, I look like a total dork with that little round band aid behind my ear but then I look like a total dork anyway and this way I get to cruise.

One of our most amusing dinners was with a cruise ship physician who entertained the table with his stories about Transderm Scop side effects.  The best was about the completely naked lady found wandering the corridors.  Another patient had a total (but temporary) psychic breakdown/episode and was found screaming on the top deck.  Good stuff that  drug.  It is all listed in the side effects 

Hank

11 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

My wife is another person who’s highly susceptible to all types of motion sickness.  She had adverse affects from the prescription patch & discovered that meclizine (generic Bonine) works best to prevent her symptoms.  It’s an OTC antihistamine which can cause sleepiness in some people so she takes it at night.

The best cabin location for her is on lower decks...midship followed by aft & lastly forward.  C736 would be much better for her than an upper deck forward A124 cabin.  There’s a reason why on most of our cruises it’s usually upper deck forward cabins (except for larger balconies & good views) that are the least expensive & are the last ones to be booked.

i agree with this statement. a week ago out of NYC it was horrible with many getting seasick and i was literally at the front of the ship which made it worse. taking a shower was very very challenging. however i got 60% off a suite that i never otherwise would have taken

lesson learned. you cannot have it all! 

after my upsell was offered it took weeks for the 2nd suite to be sold and now i see why. no one wanted to be at the front corner. 

1 hour ago, Pam in CA said:

There is less motion aft than forward. I prefer cabins towards the aft and book them deliberately. If you tend towards motion or sea sickness, a lower deck is much better. 

wouldnt it also be true more engine vibration aft?  as i sat in the buffet i couldnt help but noticing it when i didnt feel it in my cabin. but id take vibration vs the rocking i had forward any day 🙂

20 hours ago, Jilliebean28 said:

Looking at either A124 or C736.  We are doing a last minute Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Regal.  I have booked A124 but am wondering if C736 would be better.  We have never cruised at this time of year and I am worried about motion/rocking as I can tend to some motion sickness (even when using medication).  Would appreciate any help, pros/cons of either location, etc.  Thanks so much!

Keep checking every day.  Some one might cancel and a better location could open up.

Thank you all!  Great tips and suggestions!  Rooms have opened up and I have a call in to my TA to try and change rooms.

Thank you all!  Great tips and suggestions!  Rooms have opened up and I have a call in to my TA to try and change rooms.

Please let us know how it works out.  Wishing you the best.