Ocean medallion - name/photo appears outside cabin?

cpcanuck

11 hours ago, CCFC said:

Yes, you can track fellow travellers on the big map (as long as they allow you). So I was on Emerald deck and could see my travelling companion was on the Sun deck by Tradewinds bar.

!!! This is a feature that some may not appreciate!  There goes plausible deniability! 🤣😇😍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

!!! This is a feature that some may not appreciate!  There goes plausible deniability! 🤣😇😍

I think the key words are "only if they allow it". If you intend to sneak around just get a lead case for the medallion.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Doug R. said:

I think the key words are "only if they allow it". If you intend to sneak around just get a lead case for the medallion.

I think that any aluminum RFID blocking case would shield you.  I think the 99 Cent store has them.   

On 11/12/2018 at 9:55 PM, Ep010835 said:

Hi Diann, have you received your OM devices? We are on the same sailing.

When I set up our account then spoke to an OceanReady customer service person to ask a couple of questions, he advised that they decided to hold the OM devices and distribute them at boarding rather than mailing them.

Curious as when I completed the registration on line, the system gave me a delivery date of later this week.  

On 11/13/2018 at 7:05 AM, seagypsea said:

We have not received them.  I'll post if we do get them or some communication as to how they will be distributed.

Here's an update. Back on 11/12 when I spoke with an OceanReady customer service person, he advised me they decided NOT to send the Medallion devices out prior the the cruise but rather to distribute them at boarding. 

Just a few minutes ago I got an email from OceanReady advising me the devices were shipped today with an arrival date of 11/19. They are originating in Singapore and are now in Hong Kong awaiting further shipment. 

They are not only shipping them, they've clearly paid for a speedy delivery. 😀

31 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

Here's an update. Back on 11/12 when I spoke with an OceanReady customer service person, he advised me they decided NOT to send the Medallion devices out prior the the cruise but rather to distribute them at boarding. 

Just a few minutes ago I got an email from OceanReady advising me the devices were shipped today with an arrival date of 11/19. They are originating in Singapore and are now in Hong Kong awaiting further shipment. 

They are not only shipping them, they've clearly paid for a speedy delivery. 😀

Mine were just delivered this evening.  The OM is the correct loyalty color.  The lanyard cases are Blue but I think that will always be the case so they can sell you the Loyalty color for $2.50 onboard.  🙂

Diann

5 hours ago, seagypsea said:

Mine were just delivered this evening.  T

The original process was to use your home computer to do an enhanced cruise personalizer. Attach a photo of your passport and your own face to be linked to OM. Did this go the way of the Dodo bird?

11 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

The original process was to use your home computer to do an enhanced cruise personalizer. Attach a photo of your passport and your own face to be linked to OM. Did this go the way of the Dodo bird?

It’s still alive. I completed the OCEANReady earlier this week with the passport scanning and security pict. Got to call and see if the medallion can be mailed though. 

Edited by infoteknerd

On 11/14/2018 at 3:55 PM, CCFC said:

The old mailbox is gone from outside the room. I took pictures of my recent experience of Caribbean Princess below. You can see where other people are if you connect your ID in the app.

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

The bad downside using the medallion is if you should lose it on the ship & don't realize it at the time, anyone who finds it can have access to your cabin and also know where your cabin mate is at any time. 

Princess doesn't seem to care one way or the other. :classic_ohmy:

On 11/15/2018 at 3:19 PM, dog said:

For people who want privacy is there a way to block this feature?

"As designed", not necessarily "as built":

Blocked until and unless you enable it, and then only for those individuals you specify.

5 hours ago, MissP22 said:

The bad downside using the medallion is if you should lose it on the ship & don't realize it at the time, anyone who finds it can have access to your cabin and also know where your cabin mate is at any time. 

How would the person finding the Medallion know which cabin it belongs to ?

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

That would require the cabin number to be printed on the OM. Is this the case? 

I've never seen one so don't know. 

14 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

That would require the cabin number to be printed on the OM. Is this the case? 

I've never seen one so don't know. 

No cabin number on the medallion. Most of the time I had to press it up against the screen so highly unlikely anyone who found your medallion could use it enter your room. Also it comes on a lanyard so you would notice it was missing fairly quickly.

6 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Which is exactly the same thing as if you lost a card key.

As a couple posters have indicated, the medallion does not have a cabin number on it--just like the card key.

Also, if a passenger was to lose a medallion, the remedy is exactly the same as if he/she had lost a card key.  Go to the Passenger Services Desk and report the loss.  The desk agent will provide the passenger with a replacement medallion.  This replacement medallion will not be identical to the lost one.  It will have different encoding.  The lost medallion will be reported to the ship's on-board system and will be disabled--once again, just like in the card key environment.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

with a 'found' OM - can't that person just walk up and down the halls and stop when a cabin 'lights up/unlocks door'?

lot easier than taking cruise card and trying to insert ... well, just sayin

How many hundreds of cabins? If that concerned, opt out.

with a 'found' OM - can't that person just walk up and down the halls and stop when a cabin 'lights up/unlocks door'?

With 1556 cabins spread out over 19 decks, just how much time would a scofflaw be willing to commit to getting into your cabin?

Well, I certainly can't dispute your devious logic.

I might suggest, however, that such a caper might find it's way into a future episode of "Stupid Criminal Tricks."

Let's suppose he does find my medallion that I dropped in Skywalkers, and started walking up and down the corridors of the decks that had cabins.  Let us also assume that he found my cabin before I discovered my loss and reported it to the Passenger Services desk, and, so, he discovered an open cabin door.  Just for the sake of discussion, let us further assume that there were no stewards working in the area who had see me walking in and out of that cabin for the last few days, and, so, would not be suspicious of him.

Pay Dirt.

He rifles through the room and finds my red Fruit-of-the-Loom underwear.  SCORE.  He grabs them and hustles out.

Remember, the Orwellian tracking capability?   Remember those thousands of sensors that are pinging all the medallions?  Even "disabled" medallions will respond to those pings.  He better have tossed that medallion in the my cabin before he left.  If not, a Princess security guy is going to be knocking on his cabin door asking about the suspicious red Fruit-of-the-Loom underwear laying on his bed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2018 at 2:42 PM, Mike45LC said:

I think that any aluminum RFID blocking case would shield you.  I think the 99 Cent store has them.   

Even better, set the "safety only" option in your Medallion Profile, either at home with Ocean Ready, or aboard

with it, or on your cabin TV, or visit the Purser's Desk and --like me-- play computer illiterate.  😉

BTW, the "safety only" phrasing tips the likely real purpose of the Medallion.  When that lady fell(?) off the

Norwegian Star back in August, it leaked that the search cost NCL a half million dollars.  Carnival Corp

has had 120+ MOB incidents since 2000.  Do the math.  The Medallion is for Carnival Corp's benefit --d'oh!--

The hype is to get us to wear the things, but it might just save your life if the fall doesn't kill you.

On 11/17/2018 at 3:28 PM, XBGuy said:

Well, I certainly can't dispute your devious logic.

I might suggest, however, that such a caper might find it's way into a future episode of "Stupid Criminal Tricks."

Let's suppose he does find my medallion that I dropped in Skywalkers, and started walking up and down the corridors of the decks that had cabins.  Let us also assume that he found my cabin before I discovered my loss and reported it to the Passenger Services desk, and, so, he discovered an open cabin door.  Just for the sake of discussion, let us further assume that there were no stewards working in the area who had see me walking in and out of that cabin for the last few days, and, so, would not be suspicious of him.

Pay Dirt.

He rifles through the room and finds my red Fruit-of-the-Loom underwear.  SCORE.  He grabs them and hustles out.

Remember, the Orwellian tracking capability?   Remember those thousands of sensors that are pinging all the medallions?  Even "disabled" medallions will respond to those pings.  He better have tossed that medallion in the my cabin before he left.  If not, a Princess security guy is going to be knocking on his cabin door asking about the suspicious red Fruit-of-the-Loom underwear laying on his bed.

A piece of aluminum foil or any metal kills the range of the Medallion so it's undetectable. The hype of being able to be located is way over done. I modified my Medallion to make it easier to carry & it's hardly recognized by their sensors even at a very close range. I have to hold it on one of their sensors for a while before activation. Even when passing one of their boards or tablets the range is extremely limited. 

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

A piece of aluminum foil or any metal kills the range of the Medallion so it's undetectable. The hype of being able to be located is way over done. I modified my Medallion to make it easier to carry & it's hardly recognized by their sensors even at a very close range. I have to hold it on one of their sensors for a while before activation. Even when passing one of their boards or tablets the range is extremely limited. 

You don't like Medallion.  Got it.  Opt out and use a Cruise Card.

But I'd not suggest cruising the corridors looking for a door to match a found Medallion.  If you don't enter that cabin

to find the matching Medallion hung around the neck of a 6' 4" traveling companion inside, there's the tapes from the

ship's video surveillance system.  You can't hide and you can't run very far. 

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

That sounds like an awful lot of planning on the off chance that the evil-doer will

• Find a medallion that has not been reported lost.
  • Before that medallion is reported lost:
    • Find the cabin associated with the just discovered medallion.  You have indicated in the other thread, Miss P22, that this is possible from one of the public kiosks.
    • Find that there are no stewards who tend to the cabins in that corridor and who now recognize the guests in those cabins.
    • Find that the cabin is unoccupied.
    • Find something of value in the cabin.  As I explained above, I am willing to risk my red Fruit-of-the-Loom underwear, but anything of value is locked in the room vault.  Of course, the devious evil-doer knows there are only 10,000 combinations to the lock on that safe.  Maybe he could start at 0000 and work his way up to 9999 before the cabin resident returns.  Maybe others do not use the room safe to store valuables.  You can't fix stupid.

Keep in mind, also, that the evil-doer paid passage fare for the cruise on the off chance that he could score.  Like I say, if he goes through all that work to get into my cabin, he is going to be so disappointed.  If he does, rest assured, I will be on E-Bay every day checking for my red Fruit-of-the-Loom underwear.

As you might imagine, MissP22, you have caused me to give this some thought, and this is what I believe is a possible scenario of concern:  bored teenagers.  I do see where a teenager or a group, my consider a found medallion to be an opportunity for "fun."  The question, then, is whether they would have the wherewithal to achieve all the steps above to realize the "fun."  I, personally, have learned to avoid cruises that attract families--even though I know that the children and grandchildren of all Cruise Critic contributors are "well behaved."

As I stated in the other thread, MissP22, I agree that the cabin number associated with a medallion should not be disclosed by the public kiosks.  As I also indicated that it seems to me that providing that information can potentially lead to some very serious legal liability for Princess.

Speaking of the public kiosks, though, here is another question for us to consider.  Do we know for sure that the key card that is offered as an alternative for those who are uncomfortable with the medallion  cannot be read by that device?  I understand that the transmission range of the card is less than that of the medallion, but, since the key card can open a cabin door by holding it close to the reader, do we have any reason to believe that the same thing cannot be accomplished at the public kiosk?