Live from the CB 11/11-25/2018

satxdiver

On 11/13/2018 at 10:47 AM, Camelia- said:

I'm just curious as to how the OM works when you are in your cabin. Once you enter does your picture disappear? Can anyone walking by tell if there is someone in the cabin? I imagine that it's useful for the room stewards to know that. If I was travelling solo though I might not want that fact broadcast.

Thank you for sharing your experiences - it's extremely useful!

Camelia

I'm also interested in this answer.

We are in a full suite on the next CB cruise. Have they removed robes entirely? Wife wants to know.

How much did they charge you for the unlimited internet? Should I just get the $99 unlimited before we leave?

Enjoy your cruise and thanks for the information.

David

37 minutes ago, Shirt-man said:

We are in a full suite on the next CB cruise. Have they removed robes entirely? Wife wants to know.

How much did they charge you for the unlimited internet? Should I just get the $99 unlimited before we leave?

Enjoy your cruise and thanks for the information.

David

No they have not removed robes, just the larger fluffy ones that I have not seen in awhile. You still get the thinner ones.

I would get the unlimited. It's a good deal IMO.

Enjoying your updates, saxtdiver. We were supposed to be on Royal’s first medallion cruise last January. We all know how that turned out. Hope they fixthe problem with the wifi. 

Looking forward to additional updates; we board in January!  

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, kjg46 said:

Can you tell me if "Ocean Ready" is the same as "Ocean Compass"  We have a B2B on CB next year. If I go to Ocean Compass (we have set up an account, but it won't let me add a reservation number. Is "Ocean Ready" only available just before your cruise.?

Any information you can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks for the additional comments by Folks on this thread. I "Took the bull by the horns" and called the Princess Ocean Ready help number and found out the following:  

1. Ocean Ready replaced Ocean Compass (Compass was more or less a beta when OM first started)

2. Ocean Ready app for iPhone (only) available at Apple store.

3. Tried same with my I pad and Ocean Ready app not yet available for Ipad. Confirmed same with Princess help line.

4. Reservations going forward, Princess Rep. said reservations are being accepted into Ocean Ready now through the end of February. I tried my b2b in July/Aug 2019 and app would not accept. 

5. I "assume" the Ocean Ready app will be open to additional reservations as we move forward in the calendar.

All the Best

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, Camelia- said:

I'm just curious as to how the OM works when you are in your cabin. Once you enter does your picture disappear? Can anyone walking by tell if there is someone in the cabin? I imagine that it's useful for the room stewards to know that. If I was travelling solo though I might not want that fact broadcast.

Thank you for sharing your experiences - it's extremely useful!

Camelia

13 hours ago, lynn247 said:

I'm also interested in this answer.

Photos display momentarily upon entering.  They disappear once you are in the cabin.  Yes, you can tell when a cabin is occupied.  When medallions are in cabin the screen displays “door locked” and a downward flashing arrow--this was confirmed by our steward when we asked.   When no medallions are in the cabin, the screen displays “approach with medallion for entry.”

20 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Were you sitting in the show lounge last night, center stage, second level about 4 seats from the right isle with your wife drinking a bottle of wine?

We have only been in the theater for a performance on Sunday night so far.

Thursday

After breakfast in the MDR I went to the internet café and the expert quickly returned by android to using my account.  I am not sure how he did it unfortunately.  My android continues to lose the signal and I have to reattach to the website.  At times it will not attach. 

Tonight was the female impressionist Karen Grainger.  Interestingly the first show was simulcast in the Explorer lounge.  We arrived in Antigua without any delays but the gangplank was not withdrawn until 5 PM instead of the scheduled 4:30.  It appeared that a ship excursion for the pax needing assistance returned late.  On the other side of the pier was the Grandeur OTS.  Having been here quite a few times prior, we just walked around the port area enriching the locals. 

Tomorrow is St Kitts and we have been notified that the ship will anchor off the port and use tenders.  It appears as though the existing port facilities will be taken by other ships.  They have rescheduled production show for tomorrow night in the theater.  

The food has been really good in both the MDR and WFM (HC).  We had lunch in the WFM today as the Planks area was already closed.  Food offerings is definitely different than what we had seen before but good and liked the change.  WFM layout, tables, chairs have all been changed.  

On 11/15/2018 at 10:54 PM, satxdiver said:

Thursday

After breakfast in the MDR I went to the internet café and the expert quickly returned by android to using my account.  I am not sure how he did it unfortunately.  My android continues to lose the signal and I have to reattach to the website.  At times it will not attach. 

Tonight was the female impressionist Karen Grainger.  Interestingly the first show was simulcast in the Explorer lounge.  We arrived in Antigua without any delays but the gangplank was not withdrawn until 5 PM instead of the scheduled 4:30.  It appeared that a ship excursion for the pax needing assistance returned late.  On the other side of the pier was the Grandeur OTS.  Having been here quite a few times prior, we just walked around the port area enriching the locals. 

Tomorrow is St Kitts and we have been notified that the ship will anchor off the port and use tenders.  It appears as though the existing port facilities will be taken by other ships.  They have rescheduled production show for tomorrow night in the theater.  

The food has been really good in both the MDR and WFM (HC).  We had lunch in the WFM today as the Planks area was already closed.  Food offerings is definitely different than what we had seen before but good and liked the change.  WFM layout, tables, chairs have all been changed.  

What do your think of the why they now serve food at the buffet? Some items now are in individual cardboard serving containers. Many main course items are gone, replaced by sandwiches, pre-made hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. 

We still prefer the old way like on the Royal and Regal. I really dislike having things sit under a heat lamp for a while.

13 hours ago, Sea&SkiCruiser said:

Photos display momentarily upon entering.  They disappear once you are in the cabin.  Yes, you can tell when a cabin is occupied.  When medallions are in cabin the screen displays “door locked” and a downward flashing arrow--this was confirmed by our steward when we asked.   When no medallions are in the cabin, the screen displays “approach with medallion for entry.”

Do they still have the door signs for "Privacy" and "Refresh room"?  Thanks.

On 11/15/2018 at 5:04 PM, kjg46 said:

Thanks for the additional comments by Folks on this thread. I "Took the bull by the horns" and called the Princess Ocean Ready help number and found out the following:  

1. Ocean Ready replaced Ocean Compass (Compass was more or less a beta when OM first started)

2. Ocean Ready app for iPhone (only) available at Apple store.

3. Tried same with my I pad and Ocean Ready app not yet available for Ipad. Confirmed same with Princess help line.

4. Reservations going forward, Princess Rep. said reservations are being accepted into Ocean Ready now through the end of February. I tried my b2b in July/Aug 2019 and app would not accept. 

5. I "assume" the Ocean Ready app will be open to additional reservations as we move forward in the calendar.

All the Best

I didn't think that #3 was correct because iPhones and iPads use the same iOS. OR is on both our phones and I just installed it on our iPad.

Great information so far. I had some issues on the Regal going back and forth between my iPhone and iPad. I had to go through a sign out process twice on the device I was moving from sometimes to make it work. There’s no reason they shouldn’t show you what to do so you don’t have to go to them each time. 

If possible, can you give me a little more specific information about the internet offerings?  We are Elite, so 250 free minutes.  We’ve gotten the offer of unlimited for $99 if you purchase before bording. Did you sign up for unlimited prior to boarding?  Was the only other offer $9.99 a day?  Trying to decide if we should sign up for unlimited in advance or wait and see how we do with the 250, but afraid the price at that point will be high. We were really spoiled with the unlimited on the Regal, but that was a TA so lots of sea days.

Again, thank you so much for all the information. 

2 hours ago, MusicalCruiser said:

I didn't think that #3 was correct because iPhones and iPads use the same iOS. OR is on both our phones and I just installed it on our iPad.

Had an older iPad and could not install. Finally upgraded to a new iPad last weekend and it showed up immediately. 

2 hours ago, lhsail said:

Great information so far. I had some issues on the Regal going back and forth between my iPhone and iPad. I had to go through a sign out process twice on the device I was moving from sometimes to make it work. There’s no reason they shouldn’t show you what to do so you don’t have to go to them each time. 

If possible, can you give me a little more specific information about the internet offerings?  We are Elite, so 250 free minutes.  We’ve gotten the offer of unlimited for $99 if you purchase before bording. Did you sign up for unlimited prior to boarding?  Was the only other offer $9.99 a day?  Trying to decide if we should sign up for unlimited in advance or wait and see how we do with the 250, but afraid the price at that point will be high. We were really spoiled with the unlimited on the Regal, but that was a TA so lots of sea days.

I’m on this cruise.  My DH and I were allowed 250 minutes each but because of what I read about problems of those with free minutes on the previous CB cruise with the internet dropping out, people losing their minutes, etc., I decided to prepurchase the unlimited package for $99.  I am so very happy that I did.  If you read previous posts in this thread, there are still problems with the elite/platinum  free minute package.  I’m not using a smart phone, only a lap top.  I have not had any problems at all.  Internet is great.  I’m at the back/bottom of the ship on Emerald deck.  No worry about logging out.  The first day on board they did offer a 50% off special for as low as $9.99 per day.  Not really sure what they are offering now at 5-6 days in.

Edited by Sea&SkiCruiser

3 hours ago, lhsail said:

I asked the experts at the internet cafe and was told after the 250 minutes are exhausted, you can buy time at $9.99/day.

17 hours ago, MissP22 said:

What do your think of the why they now serve food at the buffet? Some items now are in individual cardboard serving containers. Many main course items are gone, replaced by sandwiches, pre-made hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. 

We still prefer the old way like on the Royal and Regal. I really dislike having things sit under a heat lamp for a while.

We always eat dinner in the MDR and breakfast in the room or MDR which leaves lunch.  The pre-made sandwiches are not very good.  Selections are limited of hot food.  There seems to be more prepared salads etc.  While not too bad it is not similar to what we get on other grand class ships.  However even on those ships the quality has been slipping and they tend to have the same thing for lunch every day. 

Friday

The TV in the cabin is a new LG model 36” or bigger.  It is mounted where the old one was on the corner cabinet but extends over the sides.  I am not sure why they did not mount it to the wall.  The good news is that you can with some difficulty access the different inputs on the back left.  There is a selection of movies and recorded TV programs along with live news feeds.  It is a lot easier to use.

Today we had to tender since the only pier was occupied by CCL and RCCL ships.  The tender took about 15 minutes to reach the island and the ride was very rough.  We had a 12:30 ship excursion and we met on the shore.  It was quite disorganized and sometime humorous.  We had been to St Kitts many times and decided to take the sugarcane train.  I would not recommend it as it was very boring but they supplied all the rum drinks we wanted.  It rained off and on through the day with light showers.  A new comedian, Gary DeLena, came aboard and had a show in Club Fusion.  The production show Broadway Ballroom was presented at 6:45 and 8:45.  MUTS was showing Book Club.  Tonight in the MDR was small lobster being served.  We ordered room service for breakfast using our smart phone.  The connection to the intranet is still coming and going.  The old method using a web browser was a lot more stable. 

Tomorrow is Martinique and we will be able to use the pier. 

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

I asked the experts at the internet cafe and was told after the 250 minutes are exhausted, you can buy time at $9.99/day.

With $9.99 being the regular price.

In the past when you first sign on for your free minutes, you would be offered a one time opportunity to buy additional minutes at a discount.

So the question is, when you sign on for the first time for your free minutes now, is there an offer to switch to unlimited at a discount?

On 11/16/2018 at 11:23 PM, satxdiver said:

Friday

The TV in the cabin is a new LG model 36” or bigger.  It is mounted where the old one was on the corner cabinet but extends over the sides.  I am not sure why they did not mount it to the wall.  The good news is that you can with some difficulty access the different inputs on the back left.  There is a selection of movies and recorded TV programs along with live news feeds.  It is a lot easier to use.

It's a 43 inch TV and the good part is that the input can now be changed to use your own device for movies & photo's. :classic_smile:

As satxdiver said, the lobster was small but it was so flavorful.  Best in years. 

We were ready to try another cruise line because of the declining perks of the suites - so many small things and services have changed.  Then club class came along and we loved it.  Breakfast there was better than Sabitinis.  The family atmosphere in Sabitinis was so refreshing and your waiters were the same everyday.  Then they started bringing in new waiters every couple days so we started going to club class for breakfast and had more enjoyed it more.  It was nice when they remember what you like.

Several of the staff in club class  are the same as past cruises and it was so nice to see them again.  But for some reason, Princess is adding more CC minisuites and we have had several nights where they were full and we needed to come back.  The Caribean Princess has more CC minis than any other ship.   They also added several tables across the aisle - what!! - it was a nice small atmosphere with waiters singing and making us laugh, etc.  - those tables are out of the loop.  The servers are so busy that they have no time to interact.  First cruise ever where we have had to ask for things - especially more coffee, water, etc.  Wanted to order a bottle of wine last night but as soon as we were served something, they ran off.  I understand more and more people are asking for special foods so that is taking up time.  

Another suite perk that disappeared is the personalized stationary.   Again, not a big deal but they really have dropped many small perks this cruise.

Internet is still dropping off now and then but it is so fast.  

I have not noticed any rude people this cruise - everyone is very friendly. That has been a hot topic but it is so refreshing.

10 hours ago, satxdiver said:

Appreciate the info.  So no more just adding additional minutes. Think I’ll be good with the 250 but might have DH get the unlimited. He’s a news junkie and likes to keep up on his sports. Yes, I know it’s vacation, disconnect, etc. and when we were working that was true. Now that we’re retired it’s not as big of a deal. I mostly just want to stay in touch with family. Plus lots of port stops where I know we can find WiFi. Thanks!

The unlimited is nice.  I love to surf when I get in bed.  DH falls asleep within two minutes and it takes me hours to drift off so it is nice to have.    You don't have to rush to download things.  Purchase prior to cruise is the cheapest.  And don't wait until the day before.  The offer was not available four or so days prior to the cruise.

1 hour ago, compozer said:

The unlimited is nice.  I love to surf when I get in bed.  DH falls asleep within two minutes and it takes me hours to drift off so it is nice to have.    You don't have to rush to download things.  Purchase prior to cruise is the cheapest.  And don't wait until the day before.  The offer was not available four or so days prior to the cruise.

It is really nice not to have to worry about burning up the minutes.

I was truly spoiled on the CB with unlimited.  😊

On the Regal last week...now thats another story.  🙄