Live from the CB 11/11-25/2018

satxdiver

Has anyone else felt the vibration at high speeds the past week.   It seems to have started after we hit something backing in Antigua.    We are on the stern and felt the hit and saw something come up out of the water - one very large piece and a smaller one.   Later in the day, a gentleman on the ferry at the dock on the left was trying to pull the very large black piece out of the water.   We have had to move things off the counters because of the rattling.  

3 hours ago, compozer said:

Has anyone else felt the vibration at high speeds the past week.   It seems to have started after we hit something backing in Antigua.    We are on the stern and felt the hit and saw something come up out of the water - one very large piece and a smaller one.   Later in the day, a gentleman on the ferry at the dock on the left was trying to pull the very large black piece out of the water.   We have had to move things off the counters because of the rattling.  

We are in B749 and have dining in aft dining room. Vibration has been  noticeable the entire trip but especially bad the first two days when we travelled at higher speeds. Worth it to have the aft views though. I think it has to do with the engine/thruster problem.

Edited by cruisemaniac2011
Typos

On 11/23/2018 at 10:57 AM, compozer said:

I have not seen any shorts in the evening in our MDR.

Our phones and laptop have not been disconnected the past week.   Internet is working better than ever.

No problems with iPhone disconnecting and internet speeds have been awesome!!  Only saw shorts once in 5:30 Palm dining. 

10 hours ago, compozer said:

We are in E731 (last mini on Emerald) and yes we have experienced more vibration the past couple of days.  We attributed it to the higher speed and previously reported propulsion problem.  I knew there might be a problem after I booked this cabin.  Hasn't really been too bad.  We were in this same cabin/same ship a few years ago for a transatlantic crossing Ft. Lauderdale to South Hampton.  Did not experience vibration.  Good to know that they are planning to fix it next spring.

Edited by Sea&SkiCruiser

13 hours ago, compozer said:

We are on the Emerald deck near the aft elevator bank and have felt the vibration the entire cruise.  As I write this we are vibrating fairly well.  We have dinner in the aft TD MDR where the vibration has been constant.  Hopefully Princess will finally fix this problem in the next dry-dock early next year.   Right now the TV is reporting 17 knots.

We were on the CB in 2016 for a  west bound TA and they had they problem then and brought on experts to try to fix it to no avail.  

We were on her the first cruise after the last dry dock and several others since then and we did have issues on all.  I don't remember it as much the first few days this trip but I may have had a few extra drinks those days and just don't remember.   Yes, I agree, it is time to fix her.

Wow, we’ll be on the CB in 2 weeks, in a Baja aft balcony.  Haven’t had any vibrations in prior aft cabins, guess this will be a first. Sounds like it’s noticeable throughout the ship. Oh well,  will take vibration on a ship over time not cruising. 😉

Saturday at sea

Today is our last day on the ship as we head back to PE.  We had the Navigator OTS pass us going south bound in the early PM.  We have had a ship on our port side all evening and will probably see it in PE tomorrow.  Again they simulcast the theater performance in the Explorer Lounge.  It was the singer from two nights ago in a new performance.  We learned tonight that the guitar player who is from Ireland will be leaving the ship in PE tomorrow.  Tonight was my favorite mussels and they had baked Alaskan complete with the parade.   We will move our clocks back one hour tonight so that we will be on EST when we arrive in PE. 

Lines form at the single ATD MDR before 5 PM and after it fills lines again form waiting for a table.  By the time the second ATD MDR opens at ~7:30 the lines tend to disappear.  We are elite and manage to live within our two 250 minute allotments.  When I asked the people at the Internet Café, I was told we could switch to the unlimited plan for $9.99/day for the rest of the cruise but when I used up one of the 250 time allotments, I was offered $19.99/day for the rest of the cruise.  I imagine one would have to go down to the Internet Café to get the other deal.   On several of my trips down there I have seen pax complaining that their time disappeared and they would reset it without any question. 

The World Fresh Market (HC replacement) has been organized in segments (soups, salads, dessert, pastries, sandwiches etc).  It has been extended out into what was once the aisle with the aisle being enlarged.  There are not as many main offerings as before but they do change from day to day.  Prepared cold sandwiches are offered in paper sacks so they can be grabbed and go.  Some dishes are offered in brown cardboard trays while others are offered in the traditional manner.   The old tables and chairs have been replaced with 2 top and 4 top tables and plastic like chairs with a few larger tables.  We like the new layout as it does not seem as crowded and the crew member who used to regulate the entrance and exit is gone.  One is free to enter in either end or the middle.   

When we came back from breakfast the cabin had been cleaned as always except this time the brown kiss of death was on the end of the bed.  We packed our 2 suitcases (it all fit back in!) and put them outside the door before we left for dinner.  Tomorrow we will be saying goodbye to the CB until next time in 2 years.  Our next cruises are on the Sapphire and Star. 

This has been a great cruise with excellent staff.  Our two waiters in the TD MDR have been wonderful.  Tonight our waiter warned us that the traditional parade was about to start so we decided to have our coffee in another location as we have seen the parade countless times.  Our only small problem has been with our steward who does a good job cleaning the cabin but has to be asked for everything including looking for our laundry etc.  We are accustomed to having everything show up without asking.   

Happy sailing for those who will be replacing us tomorrow. 

I continue having problems keeping my android and laptop connected to the intranet.  I have come to the conclusion that first they set up the software and routers for apple products and not Windows or android.  Second I have extra software running on both my devices to protect from intruders or malicious web sites which does not play well with the ship's intranet.  It would be nice if they used a little security.

On 11/24/2018 at 1:57 PM, cruisemaniac2011 said:

No problems with iPhone disconnecting and internet speeds have been awesome!!  Only saw shorts once in 5:30 Palm dining. 

It looks like you selected the more formal dining room. :classic_biggrin:

The island was much more casual. 

23 hours ago, satxdiver said:

The World Fresh Market (HC replacement) has been organized in segments (soups, salads, dessert, pastries, sandwiches etc).  It has been extended out into what was once the aisle with the aisle being enlarged.  There are not as many main offerings as before but they do change from day to day.  Prepared cold sandwiches are offered in paper sacks so they can be grabbed and go.  Some dishes are offered in brown cardboard trays while others are offered in the traditional manner.   The old tables and chairs have been replaced with 2 top and 4 top tables and plastic like chairs with a few larger tables.  We like the new layout as it does not seem as crowded and the crew member who used to regulate the entrance and exit is gone.  One is free to enter in either end or the middle.   

True but I still don't like most of the selections they offered & how they were presented in pre-prepared servings. 

If you like the way they do it on the Royal/Regal this will come as a big change & not for the better. They just don't seem to want to offer the standard Princess buffet food that I've been accustomed to in the past. 

I guess it's not my ship any longer and if they spread this style of food to the other ships, neither will the cruise line be.

Although the layout is better the food had taken a turn for the worst, imo.

Thank you satxdiver for the excellent review of the cruise.  I appreciate the effort you put in to report your experiences.  We will be spending 28 days aboard the ship next year and it is good to hear that the ship is as good as we found it when it was doing the British Isles cruises in 2017. 

Thank you also MissP22 for the effort you took to find so many things to make negative reports on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nukesubsailor said:

Thank you satxdiver for the excellent review of the cruise.  I appreciate the effort you put in to report your experiences.  We will be spending 28 days aboard the ship next year and it is good to hear that the ship is as good as we found it when it was doing the British Isles cruises in 2017. 

Thank you also MissP22 for the effort you took to find so many things to make negative reports on.

:classic_ohmy: then  :classic_laugh:

2 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

Thank you satxdiver for the excellent review of the cruise.  I appreciate the effort you put in to report your experiences. 

YES,   thanks satxdiver.   Sorry we did not get a chance to meet.   There were a number of people from our roll call that I wanted to meet in person.    But we did meet some great new friends.   And always enjoy enjoy seeing crew from other cruises.  Great cruise!

3 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

Exactly our thoughts, on both counts!! 😄  😄 

18 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

I only took the time to point out the negative items.

The positive points were numerious but due to my limited minutes aboard the ship didn't have the time to expound on.

You can judge for yourself about all the rest.

Does anyone have the Final log (can't remember the correct name) that they normally hand out the last morning with all the stats from the cruise?   We use to save all the Patters but stopped that years ago since we never looked at them  but we do keep the all the logs. 

I noticed that there was a note that we had to go to the desk to get one or ask our steward.   Our steward was so busy running around in the morning and I completely forgot to go down to the desk.   Not sure why they stopped giving them to us.   Wish they would stop the sales ads every night.

Thanks,  Sandy