Question about how dining choices “work”

pivibird

My husband and I will be on first cruise next month.  We are sailing on The Ruby for a 7 day Mexican Riviera Cruise.   I’ve been reading a lot here and on the Princess website.   (I feeling like there should be a class on embarkation day-Cruising for Newbies). I have a few questions about dining: 

1.  Am I correct in my understanding that since we registered for Anytime Dining, that is for the MDR and we would need to make a reservation for when we want to dine there?   Is that only for dinner or all meals?

2. Do we need to make reservations for the buffet?

3.   As far as what is included in the cruise this would be MDR, buffet, pizza, some choices at IC and Salty Dog and room services?

4.  Are the menus for the MDR and buffet included in the Patter?

thank you so much in advance for taking the time to respond!  

No reservations needed at any meal. 

The Anytime dining you have is for dinner. About anytime from 5pm to 8:45pm. 

Lunch in in the main dining room is anytime dining everyday. This is for all passengers. 

Meals are posted by the venue everday. 

FREE MEALS

Pub lunch one or two days per cruise.  English fish & chips (other things too) Lunch is free  in the wheelhouse bar

Main Dining Room breakfast, lunch and dinner
Grill - burgers fries etc
International Cafe - Food items are free
Pizza
Horizon Buffet
Caribe Cafe - Buffet #2
Embarkation day lunch in the MDR. Served until 1:30. 
Most Room service

41 minutes ago, pivibird said:

1.  Am I correct in my understanding that since we registered for Anytime Dining, that is for the MDR and we would need to make a reservation for when we want to dine there?   Is that only for dinner or all meals?

2. Do we need to make reservations for the buffet?

3.   As far as what is included in the cruise this would be MDR, buffet, pizza, some choices at IC and Salty Dog and room services?

4.  Are the menus for the MDR and buffet included in the Patter?

thank you so much in advance for taking the time to respond!  

1. “Anytime” dining refers to dinner. There are three dining rooms on the ship. One (deck 6 aft) is dedicated to fixed seating/Traditional dining. The dining room deck 6 mid-ship has early fixed seating/Traditional dining after which it becomes Anytime dining. The dining room deck 5 mid-ship is Anytime dining.

Anytime dining means that you can show up at any time to be seated for dinner, just as you would a restaurant at home. No reservation needed.

All of the dining rooms have the same menu and dress code. Only difference is the time you eat. 

During the day, one of the dining rooms is open for breakfast and lunch. It’s open seating which means you show up and are seated.

2. The buffet is open continuously from early morning until about 11pm. No reservation. Like any buffet, you show up, get what you want and find a table. Unlike other cruise lines, on Princess, buffet tables are set and wait staff bring you beverages (from juice to coffee to alcoholic) as well as deliver made-to-order omelets at breakfast. 

3. All dining room, buffet, pizza, grill, International Cafe, room service, etc. are included in your cruise fare. 

4. Menus are not printed in the Patter but they are posted outside the dining room every day. You can also ask to see the next night’s dinner menu while dining in the dining room. 

1 hour ago, pivibird said:

1.  Am I correct in my understanding that since we registered for Anytime Dining, that is for the MDR and we would need to make a reservation for when we want to dine there?  

Two more factors to "know". Usually a line of some sort at anytime MDR, 2-30 minutes long. Near the head of the line you will be asked number in your party and if you want "first available"? If there are two of you and you want a table for two you'll get it but may have to wait extended time. First available, you'll normally be seated with 4-6 "strangers" for the meal. We opt for this every time and have never had to wait more than 5 minutes. Vast majority of these dinners have been wonderful experiences with people we never would have spent time with. BUT, on one hand I can count meals from hell we couldn't wait for desert to be served. 

Please also note the MDR is only open for lunch on 'sea days', unless port arrival is after 1pm or so. You can make reservations for anytime but are usually limited to the opening hours like 5, 5:30, and 7:30, 7:45. They only accept a certain number of reservations then say reservation list is full and you just need o show up. You call the dine line in the morning to make a reservation the number is usually 6219. The line opens at 8 or 9am. Having a reservation usually shortens your wait time to be seated, especially on formal nights, but wait times are subject to the demand of when most passengers choose to dine on that particular sailing.  On most of my past sailings, the left entry is for walk-ins and the right side is for those with reservations, sometimes there is a sign to indicate this. Embarkation day lunch in the dining room can vary, a couple of weeks ago on the Caribbean Princess the hours were 11:30-1pm, but usually Noon -1:30pm meaning they close the doors for entry at the closing time. A few cruises because of special events or ? There was no MDR lunch on embarkation day and only buffet option, look at first days patter and dining room and hours will be listed as they will be for every patter.

1. Reservation are not required for Anytime Dining, but can be made if you wish. The DINE line opens for making reservations at 8am each day.

2. Reservations are NOT taken for the buffet.

3. Yes.

4. No menus in the Princess Patter. MDR menus are posted outside the buffet and the MDRs.

Many ships don't take reservations for anytime for two, just for larger groups.  We have been able to get reservations for two about 30% of the time.  If you like to eat early show up around 20 minutes before the doors open.  Also note that if you show up an hour after the dining room may be full. Show up after 7:30 and you often can just walk in.  The real difference between fixed and anytime is you may have different waiters and seats with anytime.

Haven't been on Princess for awhile but I think there are items in the International Cafe that have a charge.  Also there items appearing in the buffet, MDR, and room service that have charges.  There may even be a charge for ice cream at one location.   Ask is a good policy.  It might be helpful if a frequent Princess cruiser listed the included items and the extra charge items :).

16 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Haven't been on Princess for awhile but I think there are items in the International Cafe that have a charge. 

When the IC was first introduced there were charges for some food items (example"candied apples) but all foods there are now at no charge except for Gelato on the three ships that have that at the IC.

20 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Haven't been on Princess for awhile but I think there are items in the International Cafe that have a charge.  Also there items appearing in the buffet, MDR, and room service that have charges.  There may even be a charge for ice cream at one location.   Ask is a good policy.  It might be helpful if a frequent Princess cruiser listed the included items and the extra charge items :).

No charge for food at the International Cafe, except for the few ships have gelato at this location which has a charge. Royal Class ships have a separate gelato venue.

No charge for any food in the buffet.

No charge for soft ice cream by the pool, but shakes and malts have a charge.

Room Service is no charge, except a pizza which has a $3 fee.

Some ships have Crown Grill selections in the MDR that have an extra charge, this is fairly new.

Some ships have the new expanded menu at the grill by the pool. No charge except for the Salty Dog Burger which is $5, $8 with a beer.

Espresso drinks, specialty teas, hot chocolate at the espresso bar(s) do have charges. Coffee & tea in the buffet are no charge, and on the Royal & Regal hot chocolate is also available in the buffet at no charge. On these ships the coffee is prepared from grounds.