Warning - Airbus Shuttle - Sydney Airport to OPT

If you are thinking of taking a shuttle from the Sydney airport to the OPT read the reviews on the following link before booking and wasting your money.

https://www.productreview.com.au/p/airbus-airport-shuttle.html

Who bothers to read reviews of a shuttle service, after all it is just a shuttle from the airport to the OPT, how bad could it be?

We found out. This one could be considered a scam.

I have used Sydney airport shuttles to and fro Sydney, for many years, because that is the least expensive way for a single person.  The hotel where I stay in Potts Point (De Vere Hotel) has set times for shuttles to the airport, which you book the day before.  I have a phone number to ring for transfer from the airport to hotel, when I arrive in Sydney.  

When my daughter is working, she takes the train from Kings Cross to the airport, because it is a quicker service. 

4 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

Go to the Sydney forum of Trip Advisor and read the articles on Sydney airport shuttles. To a one they are a rip off

Yep, did that. It's a wonder they can stay in business. Probably paying crap drivers crap wages and no one gives a crap about the customer. With cowboys like that mob I'm guessing there's no regulatory body overseeing standards as with taxis.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I have used Sydney airport shuttles to and fro Sydney, for many years, because that is the least expensive way for a single person.  The hotel where I stay in Potts Point (De Vere Hotel) has set times for shuttles to the airport, which you book the day before.  I have a phone number to ring for transfer from the airport to hotel, when I arrive in Sydney.  

When my daughter is working, she takes the train from Kings Cross to the airport, because it is a quicker service. 

You obviously use a company other than Airbus Shuttle.

There used to be a shuttle that did a circuit of the city at regular times. Tickets were available at 7 Eleven stores which are on every second corner in the CBD. I don't know if they still operate and I don't know where you catch them for the Airport > City run.

9 minutes ago, linanles said:

You obviously use a company other than Airbus Shuttle.

There used to be a shuttle that did a circuit of the city at regular times. Tickets were available at 7 Eleven stores which are on every second corner in the CBD. I don't know if they still operate and I don't know where you catch them for the Airport > City run.

I'll check the name the next time I go to Sydney.  The current shuttle from Potts Point stops at hotels in Kings Cross and en route to Central Station to pick up passengers who have booked a transfer to the airport.  In the past, I have caught airport shuttles to and fro the CBD.  There is a special spot at the airport for all shuttle busses to collect passengers.  It is not the Ready2Go bus stop, which has a kiosk inside the airport.

• Like 1

I've only used hotel shuttles from the nearby airport hotels. No problem with them. Also got good service from Newcastle with Happy Cabby 'till they went belly up. Have also gone from Newcastle with friends in a private shuttle - think Silver Service type of bus. It was expensive but had home to airport and return service. Our friends use this one due to mobility issues which precludes them from using the train. Normally I'd get the train.

Normally I go for trains, but Sydney I go for the bus. Trains are too slow and infrequent, plus need to connect - and of course, very expensive.

Buses are just as infrequent, but at least you don't pay the premium for them.

Edited by The_Big_M

last time i was there i walked up to where the buses waited and got on etc no troubles the time before that going from the airport to hotel was great the other way was different story we did get there but was old van this time dodgy as , dont remember what the company was the last time but i had no troubles 

Several years ago we booked a shuttle to take us, a family of 5 from the airport to the OPT.  Stupidly we had done the thing we will never do again, travelled on the day that the ship was leaving.  Somehow we thought that a 6.30 a.m. flight to Melbourne (50 mins) and which then shortly connected to a flight to Sydney would get us in with PLENTY of time. 

That was until the plane broke down.  Eventually the Qantas staff took pity on us and paid for us to go on a Rex flight, which of course meant that we arrived in a different terminal.  Husband and 2 kids grabbed the luggage,  I hobbled (I'm on a walking stick) with youngest kid to Qantas terminal.  They weren't going to let us on the next plane that would get us to Sydney in time to get on the ship with a little bit to spare as we had come on a different airline even though I showed them the original tickets.  Tears were shed and eventually they agreed.  The whole time we are letting shuttle company know our ETA.
Get to Sydney.  No shuttle.  Wait for 20 minutes after ringing.  Ring again and they then tell us they won't get to pick us up for probably another 40 -50 minutes and we might be best trying to get a maxi-taxi.  Of course we had already paid them up-front.
The maxi-taxi for 5 of us was cheaper, so we have never gone back to shuttles, got us to the ship in time and we were the last to board.
My husband didn't tell me though until the day after the cruise started that the oil light on the taxi came on as we were part of the way to the OPT.  He had a sick feeling in his stomach until we got out, but the taxi driver just ignored it. 

Goodness, what a drama.

BTW, those oil lights only come on as a warning that it needs some oil and some attention, not necessarily that it will break down straight away. It is usually the clunking sounds coming from the engine soon after the lights come on that means it is breaking down.

• Like 1

Have used Ready2go a few times, kiosk in terminal, then walk outside to bus stop.  $20 each, cheaper than a taxi and more convenient than train, door to door.  They do hotel drop offs on way to OPT but that meant we got to see more of City. Courteous, helped with bags and stopped right next to bag drop off.

• 2 weeks later...