USA Today first look Edge photos...

StillLooking4Adventure

I've been an Edge skeptic since the beginning, but I think that the new rash of critical posts stems from the fact that we now have actually photographs rather than just drawings.  And the photos are being seen by a wider audience.

The comments about uncomfortable seating have been made many times before.  The loungers in the Solarium on the S Class ships look great in photos, but they are uncomfortable and can't be adjusted to make them better.  The chairs in the Cafe Al Bacio are too deep, the chairs in Ensemble are too low.  But they look great in pictures.  This seems to be the way things are done by designers.

My dentist recently moved into a new office and the interior design firm chose furniture for the waiting room that was practically on the floor.  It took about a week of patients complaining that once they sat down, they couldn't get up, and then the furniture was replaced.  I wish we would see the same happen on Celebrity, but after many years, it hasn't happened.:classic_mellow:

1 hour ago, cruise47 said:

Why is this thread topic so negative compared to the others Edge Topics. Please explain ?

It is mainly due to the fact that this is a 'general' forum and not The Edge sub-forum and as such one will find many posters who are several times removed from the excitement and desire to sail this beauty. Which is fine, for sure, we all cannot like the same ships or even cruise lines.

Those who currently or ever will not like or sail The Edge class of ships need a place to go in order to vent and this is the perfect area for it.. their complaints/negativity is valid for them. Rather that be about the bow, the MC, Eden, price etc...

Please remember those of us participating in the sub-forum have a very different perspective, appreciation and excitement about The Edge. Especially now that we have a few members on-board it is even more exciting and beautiful than many of us could ever expect...

I, for one along with others, cannot wait to board and experience all that we can in the short period of time we are there.. how to fit it all in? Guess I will have to sign up for a TA...

Just appreciate one thing, that is you will be on The Edge and enjoying it to the max!

bon voyage

• Like 3

I am booked but I did so before we had any real details.  I will see for myself, but I know already that without a library and without a card room, I will soon go scurrying back to the other ships.  I see other design issues that I know even before sailing that I don't like.  There is no restroom on the same level as they gym, as just one example.  There is no Sky Lounge or equivalent.  I'm happy that the ship is a good fit for some people, I just don't think it will be a good fit for me.

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

I am booked but I did so before we had any real details.  I will see for myself, but I know already that without a library and without a card room, I will soon go scurrying back to the other ships.  I see other design issues that I know even before sailing that I don't like.  There is no restroom on the same level as they gym, as just one example.  There is no Sky Lounge or equivalent.  I'm happy that the ship is a good fit for some people, I just don't think it will be a good fit for me.

c - there has to be lavatories right in or very near the fitness center. I am sure that area of the ship would not pass muster at all with inspectors and others without them being there...

Sky Lounge or its' equivalent is a different issue all together.

bon voyage

4 hours ago, cruise47 said:

Why is this thread topic so negative compared to the others Edge Topics. Please explain ?

I started this topic based on my reactions to the pictures in USA Today. I didn't mean for it to be an exclusively negative topic. I'm sure there are many things that will wow people on the Edge. These were my reactions to some of the pictures I looked at. I'm also sure they may change things (like arm chairs at the martini bar) if they don't work like they expected. 

There may be some comments about beautiful design. I think one issue that makes people more discerning with this ship is the inflated prices they are asking at this time to sail on the Edge. Those prices mean it has to be a better overall experience than one you have on other Celebrity ships.

One last comment. Many of the design features of this ship were designed by non-cruise people. That could be part of some of the issues.

7 minutes ago, StillLooking4Adventure said:

------------------------------------

One last comment. Many of the design features of this ship were designed by non-cruise people. That could be part of some of the issues.

Are you certain that this noun, 'many', in your statement is accurate?

If accurate, how can this be an issue when there is an abundance of information available to implement designs and features? This along with other checks and balances in place so features are not created in a vacuum?

bon voyage

I think the theme with the Edge could be:  It looks pretty, but how practical is it?  Or style over substance?

The much-ballyhooed designer Kelly Hoppen admitted in an Oct 2017 interview that she'd never been on a cruise.  It appears the design team had photo spreads in Architectural Digest in mind rather than how many passengers will be on this cruise ship.  So functionality has suffered IMHO.  Look at the stateroom storage.  No overhead storage above the beds ala Solstice class.  Dearth of seating and tables in common areas and around the pool.  Dinky pool in the solarium. 

I'll stick to the other Celebrity ships for now and wait for the reviews to be published and prices to come down before I try this class.  In the meantime, we'll see if the younger cruise demographic Celebrity is trying to woo will take to this ship.

11 minutes ago, JKHawaii said:

I think the theme with the Edge could be:  It looks pretty, but how practical is it?  Or style over substance?

The much-ballyhooed designer Kelly Hoppen admitted in an Oct 2017 interview that she'd never been on a cruise.  It appears the design team had photo spreads in Architectural Digest in mind rather than how many passengers will be on this cruise ship.  So functionality has suffered IMHO.  Look at the stateroom storage.  No overhead storage above the beds ala Solstice class.  Dearth of seating and tables in common areas and around the pool.  Dinky pool in the solarium. 

I'll stick to the other Celebrity ships for now and wait for the reviews to be published and prices to come down before I try this class.  In the meantime, we'll see if the younger cruise demographic Celebrity is trying to woo will take to this ship.

Okay, that is one (1) person, an interior designer and specifically cabin designer for The Edge. How cabin design affects ones thoughts on the overall practicality of the ship needs further explanation, if you would. While a major part of the design team, there are quite a few others involved in the design, planning and implementation to allow only one (1) person who has never cruised to be an overwhelming factor, I believe.

Dinky is subjective, to be sure.

As far as I know and read, there is plenty of storage in the cabin, even if it is not 'overhead storage above the beds', I would venture to guess if one is 6'5"+ (195.58 cm) or traveling with someone that height,  over the bed storage will not be missed.

I accept that pricing for The Edge is the true deal breaker for you and a few others who rail against The Edge.

The Edge appears to be booking at 80%+ capacity with a great buzz on the Preview Sailings so far, the actual load factor will be the telling info as to what is real and what is not.

The Edge is for all demographics, IMO... and I, personally, find everything I know about it to be appealing. My sailings cannot get here soon enough to confirm what those who are on it now have said and enjoying. Yet not all demographics can or will appreciate it, and I can accept that, as well.

bon voyage

Wow, so many opinons on how uncomfortable furnishings are based on photos........I went to the Edge threads being posted by cruisers onboard and asked their opinon after actually using the furnishing, and if ‘X’ would add uncomfortable seating just for looks. Come on guys, this sounds more than a bit silly doesn’t it? And no overhead storage such as Solstice? Right after Solstice was launched, I read tons of posts complaining about that storage being impossible to get to. I find it quite handy myself, so much is subjective, but at least those comments were made by those who actually were on those ships and complained I guess mainly because they had mobility issues. 

But go ahead and say how uncomfortable seats are that you havent sat in and complain even if you haven’t seen all the storage areas for each type SR. For those with concerns, good idea to wait until you see actual reviews to decide or wait for pricing to drop. Lots of other options. The current threads based on actual experience look very positive, but it’s limited and based on a few days onboard. Time will tell, but I decided to ‘bet on the come’ because having cruised X many times on all the class ships and enjoyed it, I assumed that X knew how to design and furnish a new ship.

Den

56 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Are you certain that this noun, 'many', in your statement is accurate?

If accurate, how can this be an issue when there is an abundance of information available to implement designs and features? This along with other checks and balances in place so features are not created in a vacuum?

bon voyage

I am really basing this on Celebrity's own advertising for the Edge. Most of the ads I've seed for the Edge they are promoting these non-cruise based designers who were instrumental in the design aspects of the ship. Obviously there is oversight by experienced cruise ship pros. 

As I said, my observations were based on the photos and they may or may not be valid issues. (except the ability to swim laps in the Solarium pool. That seems evident from the pictures, and I still hope I'm wrong.)

14 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Wow, so many opinons on how uncomfortable furnishings are based on photos........ And no overhead storage such as Solstice? Right after Solstice was launched, I read tons of posts complaining about that storage being impossible to get to.

You're of course just as concerned about people prejudging these features, in a positive way, as well?  Just because people 2nd guessed Solstice amenities and were wrong, doesn't mean they're always wrong.  People jumped the gun and criticized Dynamic Dining on RCCL, and it was a disaster!  

Pictures are supposedly worth 1,000 words, a few might be pessimistic, as right or wrong as that opinion may be.

17 minutes ago, StillLooking4Adventure said:

I am really basing this on Celebrity's own advertising for the Edge. Most of the ads I've seed for the Edge they are promoting these non-cruise based designers who were instrumental in the design aspects of the ship. Obviously there is oversight by experienced cruise ship pros. 

As I said, my observations were based on the photos and they may or may not be valid issues. (except the ability to swim laps in the Solarium pool. That seems evident from the pictures, and I still hope I'm wrong.)

To be sure, I do not know how 'viable' laps can be swam in any solarium pool on any X ship.

Mind you, I have not seen all of the solarium pools, yet the ones I have seen swimming laps is not a primary use of those pools due to size and the therapeutic nature they are to be used for.

I still do not understand the issue with 'non-cruise based designers' and roles they play, in part, in the ships design and execution.

Outdoor pools, yes.

As for X's advertizing about The Edge, I Am sure it has evolved since its' announcement(s), then again there will be no announcement for incremental changes either.

CC members who followed The Edge from inception to launch to preview sailings noted with great interest any and all changes which were seen or found in the photos posted from builders site. Many of those changes we were aware of or found out about as time progressed along with our speculations as well..

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Just one point of interest after seeing the photos.

For twenty years of cruising we have always been told it would be best if we kept the door to our veranda closed for various reasons.

I wonder how the ship will handle both heating and cooling if passengers have their infinite view verandas wide open and their  staterooms exposed to temperature, humidity and other climate factors in Caribbean or colder destinations. 

All the photos seem to show this wide openness as a positive, I just wonder if it really is.

bosco

37 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Just one point of interest after seeing the photos.

For twenty years of cruising we have always been told it would be best if we kept the door to our veranda closed for various reasons.

I wonder how the ship will handle both heating and cooling if passengers have their infinite view verandas wide open and their  staterooms exposed to temperature, humidity and other climate factors in Caribbean or colder destinations. 

All the photos seem to show this wide openness as a positive, I just wonder if it really is.

bosco

TBD, for sure.

bonvoyage

8 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

You're of course just as concerned about people prejudging these features, in a positive way, as well?......

The point I’m making is a photo is limited. If you hate the horse statue, fine. The photo is a legit display to base an opinon on. But comfort and how useful furnishing are? ‘The furnishings are uncomfortable’, or ‘its just for a photo shoot and not practical’ are not what I think photos can be used to make such decisions. If the photos give you concern, then wait for reviews. Here is one from an actual Edge cruiser: I haven’t found a chair I didn’t like so far. The sofas in our cabin is a bit low so some may have trouble getting up. I haven’t had time to sit on it!!” I hope you see I didn’t limit VTCrusing’s comment to just the first sentence about good chairs and listed the sofa being low.

I guess we all enjoy kibitzing, and yup done it, about something we’ve not directly experienced, but I guess I just got tired of it here. I suggest we all read the ongoing thread of an actual Edge cruiser and we will see a ton of reviews and threads coming up the next few weeks. But again, if you want to make your decisions based on photos, go with it. There are fine alternatives such as the great S- and M-Class ships, or other Lines.

Den

• Like 1

Denny, I take your point, but I just want to clarify what I said about the furnishings.  I said...

“his first comment was that the chairs looked like they were created for aesthetics, not comfort.  I will be looking with interest at what the first few reviews from forum members make of them.”

i think it’s ok to make a judgement on what we see, as long as we acknowledge that it’s only based on this, and not on experience. Also, I have pointed out that member opinions will inform me better.

Please don’t assume we are all out to distort the facts.  Merely making a passing observation in this case!

7 hours ago, Denny01 said:

The point I’m making is a photo is limited. If you hate the horse statue, fine. The photo is a legit display to base an opinon on. But comfort and how useful furnishing are? ‘The furnishings are uncomfortable’, or ‘its just for a photo shoot and not practical’ are not what I think photos can be used to make such decisions. If the photos give you concern, then wait for reviews. Here is one from an actual Edge cruiser: I haven’t found a chair I didn’t like so far. The sofas in our cabin is a bit low so some may have trouble getting up. I haven’t had time to sit on it!!” I hope you see I didn’t limit VTCrusing’s comment to just the first sentence about good chairs and listed the sofa being low.

I guess we all enjoy kibitzing, and yup done it, about something we’ve not directly experienced, but I guess I just got tired of it here. I suggest we all read the ongoing thread of an actual Edge cruiser and we will see a ton of reviews and threads coming up the next few weeks. But again, if you want to make your decisions based on photos, go with it. There are fine alternatives such as the great S- and M-Class ships, or other Lines.

Den

I hear you, but comfort can be subjective, and one must take their own individual preferences into account.  Such as looking at a hotel, both reviews and pictures can be helpful.  If the furnishings are uncomfortable, could be taken as a negative, but could also be Celebrity's clever way of eliminating chair hogs.

Royal Caribbean International has made recent mistakes not preparing for the Chinese market, Dynamic Dining rollout and flop, and generally negative reviews for their Quantum Class.  The possibility of a foolhardy mistake crossing over into Celebrity, is apparent.

These designs don't appeal to me at all, other areas of the ship do.  Generally it looks hipster-light, such as hotel chains like The W and Aloft.  We'll see if this gets millennials cruising, and if this is even what they've been looking for.

BTW, I like the horse statue,  but it shouldn't be in the walkway.  They'll move it after someone climbs on it and falls backwards over the edge.

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 12.38.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 12.43.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 12.41.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 12.39.18 PM.png