RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

It's my first time bidding on our Quantum cruise in May.  Never received an email but was able to bid about a month ago through the Royal Up website.  I'm currently booked in JS and was able to bid on 3 rooms (Owner's, 2 BR suite, Sky Loft).  At the time, there was no minimum for each room (meaning I could have bid even $10 pp) so I bid what I was comfortable with.  When I recently went to the site to adjust my bids, I found that as I moved the cursor to bid higher, it automatically went to a minimum amount that was MUCH MUCH higher than my original bid.  I decided not to change my original bids but I'm assuming now that there's no way I can win since my bids are below what seems like minimum bids at this point? Is that correct?

1 hour ago, DTC08 said:

It's my first time bidding on our Quantum cruise in May.  Never received an email but was able to bid about a month ago through the Royal Up website.  I'm currently booked in JS and was able to bid on 3 rooms (Owner's, 2 BR suite, Sky Loft).  At the time, there was no minimum for each room (meaning I could have bid even $10 pp) so I bid what I was comfortable with.  When I recently went to the site to adjust my bids, I found that as I moved the cursor to bid higher, it automatically went to a minimum amount that was MUCH MUCH higher than my original bid.  I decided not to change my original bids but I'm assuming now that there's no way I can win since my bids are below what seems like minimum bids at this point? Is that correct?

Welcome to Cruise Critic:

Unfortunately you're probably right...but good luck to you...stranger things have happened.

• Like 1

Hi all, been on RC before but never bid for an upgrade. 

I am booked with 2 other cabins, all the same category CB, but when I try the Royalup webpage with my last name and booking ref I just get the generic error about 'Please ensure your sailing is within the next 30 days'. We travel in 3 1/2 weeks time.

Both the other two cabin bookings can log in fine and put bids in so it cannot be availability.

All were booked at the same time through the same TA.

I called customer services who couldn't help and suggested emailing royalup@rccl.com which I did but no acknowledgement nor a reply.

Anyone know of a way to get my booking checked as I'd really like to put some bids in ?

Thanks

Richard

Edited by Dickuk

5 hours ago, Dickuk said:

I am booked with 2 other cabins, all the same category CB, but when I try the Royalup webpage with my last name and booking ref I just get the generic error about 'Please ensure your sailing is within the next 30 days'. We travel in 3 1/2 weeks time.

Both the other two cabin bookings can log in fine and put bids in so it cannot be availability.

I called customer services who couldn't help and suggested emailing royalup@rccl.com which I did but no acknowledgement nor a reply.

Anyone know of a way to get my booking checked as I'd really like to put some bids in ?

Thanks

Richard

Some people have reported success with using the name of the other passenger in the room.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dickuk said:

Thanks

Richard

My understanding is that some TA do not participate. When we have booked through Costco we cannot participate in the RU bidding.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lovetocruise/diamond said:

My understanding is that some TA do not participate. When we have booked through Costco we cannot participate in the RU bidding.  

True- Costco doesn't participate in RU bidding.  Some people prefer the credit from Costco.  We prefer an opportunity to RU.

On 4/21/2022 at 1:07 AM, DTC08 said:

WELCOME! 

Hopefully your bid wins out. Your cruise will be wonderful no matter and we will all look forward to hearing your review when you get home. Bidding is a stressful thing for me. Yes, I book what I want but then, that email makes me want more. Isn't life always like that? 

• Like 4

word of warning for newbies to bidding. you cannot tell if min. bids have increased unless you check each bid and see the new minimums.. my star loft went from 640 ish to 800. royal loft from 2900 to 3000 . no idea if id be totally out of the running if i left my minimums as is but my guess  is yes. 

Dodged a bullet.

Had to cancel our cruise departing on 4/24 due to Positive COVID tests.  I did not go in to cancel our RU bid.

I got the email last last night that our RU was not successful.  It would have been interesting to have them RU us on a cruise we had canceled several days before. 😄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Dodged a bullet.

Had to cancel our cruise departing on 4/24 due to Positive COVID tests.  I did not go in to cancel our RU bid.

I got the email last last night that our RU was not successful.  It would have been interesting to have them RU us on a cruise we had canceled several days before. 😄

It has happened. 

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Dodged a bullet.

Very sorry to hear that you had to cancel.  That totally sucks 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Dodged a bullet.

Sorry to hear that. Seems there are a lot of people are testing positive again. Heard there were a lot who were scheduled for the Anthem yesterday but tested positive.  

2 hours ago, Idareu1970 said:

Just been informed that we have won our Royal Up for Voyager of the Seas sailing May 1st, moving from an Oceanview on Deck 2 to a Grand Suite 1 Bedroom on Deck 10, I’m beyond ecstatic! Happy dance!

That is great.  As you may know, until a recently bidding for full suites was limited to people already in balconies and higher.  Now people in all sorts of categories are being offered the opportunity to bid.   I hope it continues.  I am glad more people have a chance to bid and glad when somebody is as happy as you.  Have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mary Louise said:

HI,

I presently have a balcony guarantee, for an early June sailing. Does bidding on a suite in Royal Up play a role when my room will room will be assigned? Do they wait to see if my bid was selected or not?

Thanks

Timing for either event is variable…the rule is their is no rule😉….they could accept your bid whenever they wish…or not.  

That said, I think most people seem to get their balcony cabin assignment earlier than most people seem to get their JS/suite RoyalUp win notifications.  My gty cabin was assigned weeks before the cruise and my upgrade came just days before the cruise.

If you do get you balcony cabin assignment first, check your RoyalUp bids to make sure nothing went wonky; re-submit bids if needed.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Idareu1970 said:

Just been informed that we have won our Royal Up for Voyager of the Seas sailing May 1st, moving from an Oceanview on Deck 2 to a Grand Suite 1 Bedroom on Deck 10, I’m beyond ecstatic! Happy dance!

I hope that the upgrade was worth it? We got the same email for our July cruise.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, johnjen said:

I hope that the upgrade was worth it? We got the same email for our July cruise.

I’ll know soon 😊 we didn’t pay too much for the Royal Up ($500 total) so I can’t imagine it won’t be worth it 😊. Very happy
Congratulations to you too for your win!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Idareu1970 said:

I’ll know soon 😊 we didn’t pay too much for the Royal Up ($500 total) so I can’t imagine it won’t be worth it 😊. Very happy
Congratulations to you too for your win!

We went ahead and upgraded to a grand suite from a Jr suite and offered $600 each, slightly higher than "fair offer". But I checked the current price of two doing a grand suite, with our offer we come out cheaper this way (we may not get it though) but worth the gamble because IF we win, getting the Grand Suite via this bid - comes out to be $3203 cheaper than booking it normally. So yes, it's worth the gamble, I'd say. But....the odds of winning are....who knows.....

Edited by johnjen
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SRF said:

Sorry to hear that 'rona got ya.  May have to cut that deal to marry a Pinnacle after all!

• Haha 2

We also just got upgraded to an Owners Suite from a balcony on Voyager 7 night out of Copenhagen 1may.  Bid $1035 per person. Only found out yesterday, 6 days out. 

currently on same ship on 24Apr 7 night out of Copenhagen. Got 2 bed 2 bath stern suite for same money also up from a balcony. Found out about this upgrade more than 21 days early. 

Neither of these cruises have many pax. About 1200 on this cruise and smells worse on 1may cruise given st pete canceled. Both had a ton of suites available after final payment.  The 1may cruise had most suites still available two days ago according to sea scanner. Dot com. 

so, if you really want a nice upgrade, choose a cruise with nobody on it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So my JS on 7 May Odyssey went from spending a week pending (unmodifiable) and all others expired, to "upgrade unavailable" today and all others bids returning to pending. Guess it's game over?

Suites are all now sold out, despite there being 40+ before they started allocating RoyalUps.

I bid the MAX amount so a little disappointed, but can't always 'win'. Still hope for a cancellation I guess! 

7 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

So my JS on 7 May Odyssey went from spending a week pending (unmodifiable) and all others expired, to "upgrade unavailable" today and all others bids returning to pending. Guess it's game over?

Suites are all now sold out, despite there being 40+ before they started allocating RoyalUps.

I bid the MAX amount so a little disappointed, but can't always 'win'. Still hope for a cancellation I guess! 

Sure, hope for a cancellation.  Hope is free.  Also, you might want to check if you can now enter a new bid for the JS in case one of those opens up.  
As I recall, plusgrade set max bid for JS relatively low on your sailing, so no shock that others also maxed out their bids.  I’m sorry your bid did not get picked out of the bundle, though.