RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

35 minutes ago, AnnaNicole said:

I am thinking of bidding on a GS on Anthem, 9 night cruise.   Minimum bid $400pp.    If it could replace an alcohol (me) and refreshment package (husband) and 3 night specialty dining package - it may be worth it.  

Do you think the perks are worth it?   My husband and I drink a couple of cappuccinos in the morning and one in the afternoon.    I like to drink 2 or 3 glasses of wine at night.  Can I get bottled water from the SL?  Is the SL lounge open all night?   Can I take a glass of wine from there?    Is CK food the same quality/experience as one of the specialty restaurants?   I am assuming it is clearly a step up from MDR.   

(I will book Wonderland with OBC if we are successful with bid.) 

Anthem is a different animal than Oasis and her sisters, so my comment above will vary a wee bit.

FWIW, I'v never sailed her, so I really can't attest to her CK, but I hear it's nice.

Anthem does not have an SL, it has a CL. Not a big difference, but the Oasis Class SL's serve beer and wine all day, that's nice.

The CK is not quite a Chops or Jaimies, but there are several good meals on par, so if you were going to do 3 specialties, you probably don't need to. Wonderland is your choice. 😱

You really can't compare the CL drinks to a full drink pkg, but I think you'll be fine.  Add a few ala carte if you want.

Espresso drinks are available all day as far as I know

CL drinks on Anthem only available during happy hour timeframe. You can take drinks to dinner as far as i know.

As suite guests you don't qualify for free drinks in the dining venues.  Not sure about CK, but probably not.

Your trip is 9 nights, so that is a big plus over the 7 night Oasis voyages

I hope that helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Welcome. 

BTW, you also get free internet 

I love reading your responses. 

I’ve booked an 8-night holiday cruise on Anthem for 2020 so I’m still 18 mo out from thinking about RoyalUp but all info in the meantime is being retained 😉. My tween/teen sons and I will have a SOV (one of the corner pole cabins) so the space is there. Will just have to think about how much I may want to bid for the extra amenities if given the opportunity.  I just couldn’t bring myself to pay full fare for a GS this time around on a cruise that my husband can’t take with us. The 4 of us had a GS (for the space) on Adventure a couple of years ago and, other than the quiet breakfasts at Giovanni’s, we didn’t see the value of the suite ‘perks.’

• Thanks 1

Following up from my (much) earlier post, we purchased a Suite guarantee for June 29 Symphony sailing and hadn't been assigned a stateroom yet (though I knew we were most likely getting a JS).  We received the Royal Up email and it was $400 pp for Grand Suite, and $800 pp for Crown Loft and Owner's Suite - but since we hadn't been assigned, I wasn't sure if we should bid.  Well, we just received our stateroom yesterday and got a Grand Suite!  So glad I didn't bid - though I would have been happy with our JS as it's our first suite experience...not sure if it makes a different but we're sailing with 2 of our kids, so 4 total in the cabin.  Just something to think about if anyone has a guarantee room :-)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, katie'smommy said:

Following up from my (much) earlier post, we purchased a Suite guarantee for June 29 Symphony sailing and hadn't been assigned a stateroom yet (though I knew we were most likely getting a JS).  We received the Royal Up email and it was $400 pp for Grand Suite, and $800 pp for Crown Loft and Owner's Suite - but since we hadn't been assigned, I wasn't sure if we should bid.  Well, we just received our stateroom yesterday and got a Grand Suite!  So glad I didn't bid - though I would have been happy with our JS as it's our first suite experience...not sure if it makes a different but we're sailing with 2 of our kids, so 4 total in the cabin.  Just something to think about if anyone has a guarantee room 🙂

How wonderful! The suite perks on Symphony are great. I booked a suite guarantee last March on Symphony but only got a junior suite. I did bid through Royal Up but got my declined emails the night before cruising. But we had a great cruise!

On 6/25/2019 at 4:39 PM, bunny7 said:

Hello.  New to the Royal Up...  Do the minimum bids get lower closer to the sailing date?  Sailing on Harmony in 40 days in a JS. The min bid pp for GS is $400, Owner's $800, Aqua 1 Bed $1100, $800 for Crown Loft.  Do these seem high?  Any info provided will be greatly appreciated.

I had a JS on the Harmony and had the exact same bids. 

9 hours ago, katie'smommy said:

Following up from my (much) earlier post, we purchased a Suite guarantee for June 29 Symphony sailing and hadn't been assigned a stateroom yet (though I knew we were most likely getting a JS).  We received the Royal Up email and it was $400 pp for Grand Suite, and $800 pp for Crown Loft and Owner's Suite - but since we hadn't been assigned, I wasn't sure if we should bid.  Well, we just received our stateroom yesterday and got a Grand Suite!  So glad I didn't bid - though I would have been happy with our JS as it's our first suite experience...not sure if it makes a different but we're sailing with 2 of our kids, so 4 total in the cabin.  Just something to think about if anyone has a guarantee room 🙂

Congrats!  When you were sent the Royal Up Bid or logged on to look at bid prices what room did it show you were currently in?  Mine said JS even though we have a GTY Suite with no assignment on cruise docs.

So I called in since the RoyalUp link kept giving me the same error of make sure you are 30 days out and correct information.  She put me on hold for a long time.  She then came back and said it was invitation only and I didn't have an invitation and family reservations are not allowed for RoyalUp and I have a family reservation.  I am bummed I didn't get to try for an upgrade.  Oh well!

My offer was accepted!  Nothing fancy....inside to ocean view on liberty this Sunday but with carnival ship having issues out of Galveston I assumed we would not get the bid.  Now see if we get anything on the other cabin.  Good thing I had just printed out everything 😜🙄

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Txcruisegal4 said:

My offer was accepted!  Nothing fancy....inside to ocean view on liberty this Sunday but with carnival ship having issues out of Galveston I assumed we would not get the bid.  Now see if we get anything on the other cabin.  Good thing I had just printed out everything 😜🙄

What does Carnival have to do with bidding for an upgrade on Royal Caribbean?

1 hour ago, Marie51 said:

I suspect that possibly if even a few passengers from a planned Carnival cruise decided to cancel and rebook on Liberty, it would fill up the last few remaining rooms and would prevent most bids from being accepted.

This is purely speculation on my part but that is what I figure what it has to do with Carnival having an influence on Liberty bid upgrades.

Carnival Cruise Line repairs to cancel three Galveston cruises

dp

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marie51 said:

The carnival ship has rescheduled their itinerary, departure date and length of cruise out of Galveston.  It was supposed to leave on the 29th for 7 days and had the same itinerary as LOS.  It is now leaving on the 1st for 8 days going to Cozumel and costa maya.  Many people were trying to reschedule.  There are also 3 cancelled.  I expect some people jumped over to Royal to cruise weekend to weekend and go to preferred ports.

8 hours ago, Txcruisegal4 said:

The carnival ship has rescheduled their itinerary, departure date and length of cruise out of Galveston.  It was supposed to leave on the 29th for 7 days and had the same itinerary as LOS.  It is now leaving on the 1st for 8 days going to Cozumel and costa maya.  Many people were trying to reschedule.  There are also 3 cancelled.  I expect some people jumped over to Royal to cruise weekend to weekend and go to preferred ports.

OK thanks for the clarification. 

I got the Royal up offer to bid for my August cruise. I originally booked an interior cabin and the minimum bid to go from Interior to balcony was $280 a person ( for a strong offer) which would be $560 for two people in the cabin.  I just upgraded myself through my travel agent for $184 total for a balcony guarantee. So in my case I don’t see any  advantage in even trying the bidding process. 😊

13 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

I got the Royal up offer to bid for my August cruise. I originally booked an interior cabin and the minimum bid to go from Interior to balcony was $280 a person ( for a strong offer) which would be $560 for two people in the cabin.  I just upgraded myself through my travel agent for $184 total for a balcony guarantee. So in my case I don’t see any  advantage in even trying the bidding process. 😊

Do you remember what the lowest minimum bid was?

1 hour ago, Marie51 said:

Pays to be a smart consumer. 

However, your example is unique to your situation, and it's not always that cut and dry.

Enjoy your balcony.

BTW, now you may get offers for a suite. 😉

10 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Pays to be a smart consumer. 

However, your example is unique to your situation, and it's not always that cut and dry.

Enjoy your balcony.

BTW, now you may get offers for a suite. 😉

Well we’ll  have to wait and see about an offer for a suite!  And yes, I realize every situation is different and I also think it’s just a game to get the customer to bid higher and if it works out well for a person then good.  And since I booked a Balcony guarantee I’m wondering if I’ll have to wait till the very last minute to get a cabin assignment  based on how many people bid for a balcony on my sailing.