RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

54 minutes ago, RickAinley said:

Oddly enough my offer email just landed, we are 60 days out on HOTS. We currently have an Ocean Balcony View. 

Minimum bids are

• Spacious Ocean View $150 p.p. (Err, why)
  • Ultra Spacious Ocean View with Large Balcony $200 p.p.
  • Junior Suite $300 p.p. (Seems a J.S. is a bigger room so I can dangle my feet over the bed)
  • Grand Suite $700 p.p. 
  • Owners Suite $1,100 p.p.

At this stage, probably no bid. Would these minimums change as we get closer or that's it?

Thanks

We are on the same HOS cruise and I just received the Royal Up also. We are in a JS and our offers are - 

Aqua 1 bedroom  $1100pp

CL  $800pp

OS  $800pp

GS  $400pp

I am tempted to go for the GS to get into Sky class, but I love the location of our JS on the hump on deck 8.  Also, our traveling companions are not Sky class so we don't want to "ditch" them to spend time enjoying the suite amenities.  Just hope that we can score a dinner or two in Coastal Kitchen.       

2 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

We are on the same HOS cruise and I just received the Royal Up also. We are in a JS and our offers are - 

Aqua 1 bedroom  $1100pp

CL  $800pp

OS  $800pp

GS  $400pp

I am tempted to go for the GS to get into Sky class, but I love the location of our JS on the hump on deck 8.  Also, our traveling companions are not Sky class so we don't want to "ditch" them to spend time enjoying the suite amenities.  Just hope that we can score a dinner or two in Coastal Kitchen.       

Don't forget to factor in the "free" VOOM with the GS or better.

1 hour ago, RickAinley said:

Oddly enough my offer email just landed, we are 60 days out on HOTS. We currently have an Ocean Balcony View. 

Minimum bids are

• Spacious Ocean View $150 p.p. (Err, why)
  • Ultra Spacious Ocean View with Large Balcony $200 p.p.
  • Junior Suite $300 p.p. (Seems a J.S. is a bigger room so I can dangle my feet over the bed)
  • Grand Suite $700 p.p. 
  • Owners Suite $1,100 p.p.

13 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Aqua 1 bedroom  $1100pp

CL  $800pp

OS  $800pp

GS  $400pp

So apparently RoyalUp minimum bid amounts vary depending upon the category (and perhaps the price paid?) for your current stateroom.

For example in the two posts above, the minimum bid to upgrade from an Ocean View Balcony to an OS is $1100pp, but from a JS it's only $800pp.

Edited by Ready2SailAway
visual cleanup

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Anything is possible.

My experience is that the minimum bids often change as you get closer to the embarkation date.  You can check the minimums after you bid by going to the "Modify" screen.  When the minimums do change, they usually go up, not down.  On several occasions, I have seen that the minimum has increased so that it was greater than the bid I have previously made.  When that does happen, it always seems to mean that, unless I choose to increase my bid, my old bid will remain "pending" but it will eventually be rejected the evening before the cruise.

12 minutes ago, Ready2SailAway said:

So apparently RoyalUp minimum bid amounts vary depending upon the category (and perhaps the price paid?) for your current stateroom.

For example in the two posts above, the minimum bid to upgrade from an Ocean View Balcony to an OS is $1100pp, but from a JS it's only $800pp.

Yes the bids are different based on your present category.  Price paid does not seem to come into play.  

2 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Thanks Host Clarea. I had forgotten about the VOOM benefit (which we have already purchased for our JS). 

No problem, just wanted you to know you can cancel the VOOM package if you go to the GS or better.  So that should lower the cost of the GS upgrade.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

No problem, just wanted you to know you can cancel the VOOM package if you go to the GS or better.  So that should lower the cost of the GS upgrade.

I understand you can also cancel the Key if you bought that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

Aqua 1 bedroom  $1100pp

CL  $800pp

OS  $800pp

GS  $400pp

Our offer was from a GS to an OS for $800 pp.  WAY more than it was when we originally booked!  :classic_blink:

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Aqua 1 bedroom  $1100pp

CL  $800pp

OS  $800pp

GS  $400pp

No doubt that some good financial modeling is happening on the bids. If I bid $300 to the JS, then you bid $800 then they get the same cash as me bidding $1100 to the OS, however if I was to bid $1500 then they get more and you stay put, but if you bid $1000 then I move to JS and you move to OS.  🙂, all hypothetical of course.

Really a giant shell game lol. 

19 minutes ago, RickAinley said:

No idea, that was just cut n pasted from the website after clicking on the email 🙂

Based on the pricing and description it must be the 1A category cabin - it would be nice if they specified that in the bidding.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I'm a bit confused by description - I see no ultra spacious OV with large balcony on the deck plan - I see the ultra spacious OV (1K cat). Are they talking about the 1A family balc?

Either way, the chances of getting one of those are very slim - very few on the ship.

I guess it is the 1A

I just remember all the Family descriptions changed to Ultra Spacious whatever

image.png.bb2a0adf2e16ee0a08e4d898e6312287.png

Yes a very rare cabin, but I remember someone on our Serenade TA got one of the Ultra Spacious OV's for a minimum bid.  Maybe the current occupants want to upgrade to a full suite. 

Domino Time.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Our offer was from a GS to an OS for $800 pp.  WAY more than it was when we originally booked!  :classic_blink:

If you are on the same sailing as we are, then that is strange that my JS upgrade would be the same as your GS upgrade to OS.  We got a good price on our JS during a flash sale.  The 400pp upgrade cost for a GS would still price out nicely for us.  We are going to bid, but very happy with our JS so no problem either way.  

1 hour ago, RickAinley said:

No doubt that some good financial modeling is happening on the bids. If I bid $300 to the JS, then you bid $800 then they get the same cash as me bidding $1100 to the OS, however if I was to bid $1500 then they get more and you stay put, but if you bid $1000 then I move to JS and you move to OS.  🙂, all hypothetical of course.

Really a giant shell game lol. 

I find it a bit fascinating to think about the upgrade scenarios and how they optimize their profits.  It is obviously a money maker because all of the cruise lines are participating now. 

If you are on the same sailing as we are, then that is strange that my JS upgrade would be the same as your GS upgrade to OS.  We got a good price on our JS during a flash sale.  The 400pp upgrade cost for a GS would still price out nicely for us.  We are going to bid, but very happy with our JS so no problem either way.  

I don't think we're on the same sailing.  Our sailing has been very sold out for almost a year.  I'm actually amazed they even offered the upsells.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RoperDK said:

It is obviously a money maker because all of the cruise lines are participating now. 

Many cruise lines are participating now but not all.  For example, I am pretty sure that Disney does not participate and I do not think Carnival participates yet either.

Edited by actuarian

Hi all. I've been lurking on this thread for a while trying to gain bidding insights. Have noticed some theories suggesting suites are offered upgrades first and inside cabins last. Thought I'd just share that I received my RoyalUp offer email today, 75 days out from cruise date, I'm booked in inside cabin. So I think that particular theory is busted.

Offers only extended up to balcony. No suite offers available. 

13 Day cruise. min bid for balcony was $395pp.

If I happen to win an upgrade I'll share the details so we can all learn.

Oh, also would like to share that I am one of those folks who never gets promotional emails even though I'm signed up for them, but I did get the royal up invite.

In case anyone is tracking a theory on offer timing based on status, I am diamond.

Does the notation on your C&A account..no upgrades...eliminate an offer of the RoyalUp bid being made to you online?

I'm seeing some on my rollcall getting emails and so far I have not. How does RCI determine who gets the up offers?

I'm in a JS and the offers have been for categories above that.

11 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Does the notation on your C&A account..no upgrades...eliminate an offer of the RoyalUp bid being made to you online?

I'm seeing some on my rollcall getting emails and so far I have not. How does RCI determine who gets the up offers?

I'm in a JS and the offers have been for categories above that.

You don't need an email, just use this link:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade

18 hours ago, actuarian said:

Many cruise lines are participating now but not all.  For example, I am pretty sure that Disney does not participate and I do not think Carnival participates yet either.

Carnival is starting to offer paid upgrades now.  I actually like the way they do it.  Under your booking they will offer an upgrade for a set dollar amount and tell you the exact cabin you will be getting.  

• Thanks 1

Seems RC bid prices are high.  On Celebrity we were in an inside guaranty and the minimum bid for concierge was 200 pp.   We bid 210 pp and got the upgrade.  Enjoyed the change.

Our choices were 80 pp OV,   120pp Bal and    300pp Aqua

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, Host Clarea said:

Bob, does the VOOM package apply to both guests in a cabin meaning, I can use VOOM and my wife can use VOOM at the same time?  We purchased the Key for $19.99 a day.  I may try to bid on a grand suite because it's our anniversary and starting bid for it is $300 each.  I figure what to do I have to lose.  If I get it, I can cancel the Key since it wouldn't be as much of a benefit for us.  ETA:  Our cruise is in 30 days.

Edited by slyster