Shocking 60% of guests removed gratuities on NV Transatlantic

The thing is, that the crew's "contracted salary" delineates that a portion of their salary is base salary and a portion of it is DSC based, which is recognized in the contract to be based on customer service.  Not sure what "social media" has to do with it.  Have you seen crew employment contracts?  I have, and this division of wage, and it's basis on customer satisfaction is right there in the contract.  As I've said, I'm not in favor of the practice, but I see it for what it is, and see that it is an industry standard (which may change in the future, may not).

22 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The thing is, that the crew's "contracted salary" delineates that a portion of their salary is base salary and a portion of it is DSC based, which is recognized in the contract to be based on customer service.  Not sure what "social media" has to do with it.  Have you seen crew employment contracts?  I have, and this division of wage, and it's basis on customer satisfaction is right there in the contract.  As I've said, I'm not in favor of the practice, but I see it for what it is, and see that it is an industry standard (which may change in the future, may not).

Haven’t seen a Royal contract but have a Princess one.

does Royal also say all cash tips have to be handed in. Princess’ did and was silent about what then happens with it after that. And that is a requirement if auto tips are left in place or not.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Haven’t seen a Royal contract but have a Princess one.

does Royal also say all cash tips have to be handed in. Princess’ did and was silent about what then happens with it after that. And that is a requirement if auto tips are left in place or not.

That seems like it would be hard to enforce.

4 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

That seems like it would be hard to enforce.

No idea about enforcement but it’s what the contract said.

i guess a punishment of instant dismissal and pay your own way home might help with enforcement.

Edited by GUT2407

The Gratuity being included in Australia, had nothing to do with RCI or people removing them.

It was because of our Consumer laws.

Unlike other country like Canada, US and in Europe. The price displayed has the be the gross price.

So that means you pay for the cruise and aren't expected to pay gratuities or other taxes or fee's.

Most people who cruise in Australia weren't aware they could remove gratuities or alter them. So there was thousands of complaints made to Australian Consumer Ombudsman , which moved our Government to change the laws in the Cruise Industry.

A lot of people who save for years to take a cruise, having to pay this extra charge (when not aware of it) would be a big shock at the end of the cruise.

Before you haters or Captain Pinnacles, say they should know, Some of these people, this is the biggest holiday or event they have done. My parents,  only did one cruise which they saved up for years. It was a 82 day cruise on QE2 back in the 90's

9 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Wouldn’t you rather determine how good the service was and pay accordingly. 

Well, since you asked, I'd rather worry about how much things cost upfront, and then enjoy good service without an extra payment at the time of the cruise.

I'd prefer not having to worry about judging people and make extra payments again, just for someone doing the job that I'd already paid the company to supply.

I don't go on a cruise to become an employer and assess efforts and remuneration.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Banana Benders said:

The Gratuity being included in Australia, had nothing to do with RCI or people removing them.

It was because of our Consumer laws.

That's not really true.

It's true that you can't charge extra, but then they are optional as others have said in the thread.

As for being included, if the above were true then it would not have occurred cruise line by cruise line and even now not all lines include them in the price.

17 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

That's not really true.

It's true that you can't charge extra, but then they are optional as others have said in the thread.

As for being included, if the above were true then it would not have occurred cruise line by cruise line and even now not all lines include them in the price.

Sorry Don't know where you get your info,

But any cruise Holiday sold through travel agent has to include  gratuities,

That's why  if you buy through cruise line website they do include this fee's and Charges now.

That's the Law in Australia,

You can buy through other overseas countries and they don't. 

Travel agents who do in Australia will be find under Consumer Laws

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't dispute this, I don't like the DSC business model any more than the crew or passengers do, but that's the system in place pretty much across the industry.  I also want to state that I think that RCI made up the DSC for all the passengers that cancelled due to the itinerary change (as they have done in the past, and as was probably required to make up the minimum wage), so I don't believe the crew suffered as much as they'd like you to believe with a figure of 60%, though it wouldn't surprise me to hear that that was the figure for the remaining passengers.

Funny other posters say how much the crew love the Dsc system.

I guess it comes down to who you want to listen to and who you choose to believe.

as an aside I tend to believe you, not just because you have worked on ships, but because it gels with what I’ve been told by others who have worked on ships and that I have reason to trust.

On 11/27/2018 at 6:03 PM, sh2738 said:

This! 100% agree with this statement. The crew does so much for so little it’s the very least that you can do to do your part and treat them fairly with a basic tip. Thanks 

It’s about time tips were included in the price of the cruise as they are if booked in Australia. The wages would then be higher and so cultural differences to tipping would go away at a stroke.

Edited by upwarduk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

It’s about time tips were included in the price of the cruise as they are if booked in Australia. The wages would then be higher and so cultural differences to tipping would go away at a stroke.

The one part of this that I disagree with is "the wages would be higher".  Regardless of whether the crew are paid by DSC or by a fixed wage/salary, and the DSC was folded into the fare, there would be no increase for the crew.

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The one part of this that I disagree with is "the wages would be higher".  Regardless of whether the crew are paid by DSC or by a fixed wage/salary, and the DSC was folded into the fare, there would be no increase for the crew.

Great advice.

The only extra for the crew would then be from cash tips from appreciative passengers.

On 12/1/2018 at 11:31 PM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

I would say screw the corporation that is trying to put the burden on the passengers! 🙄

Fwiw the "people" are just part of a product.... doing their jobs! 👍

Please tell me about all the companies/industries where the consumer doesn’t bear the ‘burden’ of covering all costs including everything that goes to staff? 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2018 at 10:51 AM, JAMESCC said:

People make me sick with not tipping the crew. I have too many arguments on here to count over this. These people sacrifice so much for their families just to make your cruise/vacation a pleasant one. Treat them correct and tip them correct Don't act as if crew members are your personal assistant and slave either. I agree with you my friend. 

If you can afford to cruise then you can afford to tip. Cheapskates/skinflints, don't complain when your bags don't appear for hours on end or don't appear at all. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mixyestspitlik said:

If you can afford to cruise then you can afford to tip. Cheapskates/skinflints, don't complain when your bags don't appear for hours on end or don't appear at all. 

How did bags get into this! :classic_ohmy::classic_rolleyes:

Fwiw we carry our bags on and off... to minimize waiting time! 👍

It seems like people get aggressive and brutal when it comes to tipping - just another reason to hate the Tipping culture! 😡

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

I have learnt several new things since reading this thread.

The same info can be found in virtually every tipping thread going back many years - nothing really new. The only thing new is that with the new CC web site, the number of tipping threads is down, along with traffic in general.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Banana Benders said:

Sorry Don't know where you get your info,

But any cruise Holiday sold through travel agent has to include  gratuities,

That's why  if you buy through cruise line website they do include this fee's and Charges now.

That's the Law in Australia,

You can buy through other overseas countries and they don't. 

Travel agents who do in Australia will be find under Consumer Laws

I got my info from the history of sales in Australia.

Having optional tipping does not mean the price has to be changed.