boarding with carry on luggage?

Skeets289

Aside from our large checked bag my wife and I plan on taking two carry on bags on the flight to our port city which will contain our valuables,  necessities, and some important clothing in case our checked bag goes awry. What do people recommend as far as boarding the ship with the carry on bags instead of risking a problem at the port. Is this allowed? is it a hassle? Any other thoughts? Thanks

1 hour ago, Skeets289 said:

Aside from our large checked bag my wife and I plan on taking two carry on bags on the flight to our port city which will contain our valuables,  necessities, and some important clothing in case our checked bag goes awry. What do people recommend as far as boarding the ship with the carry on bags instead of risking a problem at the port. Is this allowed? is it a hassle? Any other thoughts? Thanks

We always board with a carry on each. Like most, we have our valuables, medications and wine (when we use to carry on wine). 

as stated above, there is no rule against it.  Depending on what time you board the ship, you will have to lug it around with you until your cabin is ready.  If you are in a Suite, it is definitely not a problem as you can leave your bags in Michael's Club until your room is ready.  

We bring a single roller board carryon as most have stated above, and we’ve found a nice spot on the ship to sit and enjoy prior to the SR’s being ready so not a big deal bringing it on from our perspective. 

Although I agree we’ve not had an issue getting our ship-checked bags into the SR, we had traveling friends whose bag was placed on another ship and that took most of the 7N cruise to get returned. So, yup, not normal to loose one and not nearly as common as on flights, but can happen so at least have a carry bag with absolute essentials. And when doing that, I’d rather have a roller-board to handle instead of a carrybag/backpack to lug around. And once we start to put ‘essentials’ into a bag it tends to expand a bit, as we all expereince. 

Den

We usually have a carry on each, & it's not a problem. A couple of cruises ago, we arrived at the port in Civitavecchia in a major rain storm, & somehow failed to hand our luggage to the porters,  as our bags are small enough to fit through the scanners (we tend to travel very light) we ended up carrying on our suitcase & carry on bag each.  It actually turned out quite nice as we did not need to wait for our luggage once the rooms were ready.  I think we actually may make a habit of just carrying it all on.  

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 9:03 AM, Skeets289 said:

Yes, allowed, very easy to do and no hassle at all if you board in the afternoon when the cabins are ready as you can go directly to your cabin and leave the bags there.

Besides, there are usually no lines, or only very short lines if you board later, after the mad rush is over, and avoid the crowds.

Edited by varoo

Just boarding?  Haven't checked a bag in years when flying. And that's the way we have to get to the  cruise 98% of the time.

We travel carry-on always. It's not for everyone, and the way we travel lite isn't for most. But try it. If you hate it, don't do it again.

tall-baggage.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?
  • Haha 1

A Sixth, I’d love to use that photo in the Travel Class my wife and I teach! I’ll label it , ‘Consider cutting down on luggage you take with You!’. By the way, notice the people standing near that “Matterhorn” of luggage with pieces looking like they will come tumbling down.

Den

1 minute ago, Denny01 said:

A Sixth, I’d love to use that photo in the Travel Class my wife and I teach! I’ll label it , ‘Consider cutting down on luggage you take with You!’. By the way, notice the people standing near that “Matterhorn” of luggage with pieces looking like they will come tumbling down.

Den

Just a google search image... but I have seen close to it on cruises.... 

15 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Den

We travel with only carry-on.  I know it would not work for everyone but we love it.  If you are staying in a suite you can drop your carry-on in Michael's until it's time to get into your cabin.

Den do you and your wife teach at the college?  I took a travel class there years ago.  We are one city over from you🌴

Mary

I used to live on a sailboat. As a Kid, young man and a middie-dude. The older I got and the more I traveled the less I needed.

BTW Joni (Ms A Sixth?) is as firm a believer as I am, and learned it faster.

Edited by A Sixth?

22 hours ago, 8mma said:

We travel with only carry-on.  I know it would not work for everyone but we love it.  If you are staying in a suite you can drop your carry-on in Michael's until it's time to get into your cabin.

Den do you and your wife teach at the college?  I took a travel class there years ago.  We are one city over from you🌴

Mary

We taught as part of the Center For Lifelong Learning at University of West Florida, FWB campus. Lots of fun.

Den

We always take two carry ones with our medicines and electronics and any other pilferable items.    If our checked bags don’t make it at least we have the necessities and a change of clothing.   We also have checked bags and if it’s a long cruise we check two bags each.   We are allowed two bags each without airline.    We don’t hand wash items in our cabin and there is no self serve laundry on Celebrity.   Our trips typically include hot and cold weather on the same trip and we want clothing options.   Our bags are 24in and easily maneuvered.