The EDGE of Glory: a live 12/1 trip report

ohhbother

OP here. We are on board the Edge! We got to the terminal around 10:30 and boarded with Select guests right at 11 am. 

Staterooms weren’t ready until 1, but we were able to drop our bags by the room. We are IV Cabin 6243. Be forewarned - the view is somewhat obstructed by a lifeboat. An unwelcome surprise but not terrible. We can still see out. I’m very glad we’re booked in an S1 corner aft for our weeklong cruise in April and won’t have to worry about obstructions. 

Thus far, we’ve toured the ship and grabbed a light lunch in Oceanview Cafe. Initial impressions - the ship feels smaller than I expected. I guess because we were just on the mammoth NCL Bliss a few weeks ago, this one is definitely smaller in comparison. 

The artwork on the ship is beautiful. Everything is very understated and elegant - live saxophone music beside the martini bar, for instance. Very soothing.

Thus far, our favorite spaces are the Rooftop Garden and Eden. Eden is really a beautiful space. 

We’ve put our name on a list for Dinner on the Edge if it’s offered. They’re supposed to call us to confirm when they decide if the weather will allow it. 

Were now resting in our stateroom for a bit and just getting oriented. Btw, unlimited WiFi for two devices for duration of the cruise was $93. 

Here are a few random photos thus far:

899C81C4-2DB1-4E4F-BEFB-5DF2F48A5299.jpeg

FCE8AF5E-A4AC-4DD7-82C5-F3DC0CDB42CE.jpeg

F498301B-3EAF-4763-A62C-7FA3D4F63D1F.jpeg

FB1E2CF4-9230-4913-8223-D33667EAD42B.jpeg

61123D99-4316-4FE9-AF55-1F4B58BFD53D.jpeg

7F40F892-6F0D-4216-A365-38116C0973A3.jpeg

EFE4CF97-9ABF-4D8C-B663-42AA69C6B4A0.jpeg

C2F3C94B-C9F9-4073-8D30-549ADA268E98.jpeg

9F054FC8-1DE1-4B45-AA1A-843A2872B856.jpeg

6D1C75CC-CE79-485F-8C2A-A2F7E7200E40.jpeg

673D704E-6812-4344-A70B-E308CE829313.jpeg

2472D9D9-E090-4DA0-9D7F-343C8F433FF8.jpeg

D678778C-4AFA-4170-AA2C-C1DFADAD0850.jpeg

260CFEFB-C18C-49BD-A37E-36CB61772663.jpeg

3B1A2466-0960-4F69-8F3A-280F4DA4B793.jpeg

8E372FEF-9D59-4AD5-A0B5-A8AE6D2AAC79.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you for the photos of the drink menus!  Even the Premium Package only goes to $13 per serving, and the Classic to $9.  I cannot foresee myself drinking at the Sunset bar or Eden very often, since it would involve a surcharge.  That is absolutely insane!  If they are going to charge more than the Premium Package allows, they should add another package above Premium to cover all those high-priced adult treats.  Call it "Over The Edge Package!"

• Haha 2

Hi,  

Thanks for the photos.  As of the Premium Beverage Package, I thought drinks up to $15.00.  In any case, can someone confirm if the drinks at Eden and Sunset are really not covered by the Premium Package.  I agree with beachbunny6, they should offer us a OVER THE EDGE PACKAGE.  Love that !!

1 hour ago, ohhbother said:

We’ve put our name on a list for Dinner on the Edge if it’s offered. They’re supposed to call us to confirm when they decide if the weather will allow it. 

Thanks for the review so far and great pictures.  Where do you go to get added to the Dinner on the Edge list?

34 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

I got the numbers from the X site today.  So, it looks as if we are all SOL, as they say. :classic_angry:

Does anyone have the prices from the Martini Bar?  Need to see if they, too, are over the Premium Package allowance.  :classic_unsure:

I saw a post on Instagram the other day that showed $15 for regular size and $18 for extra large format martinis. It was my understanding that the standard size was covered by the premium package but the extra large was not and you’d pay a $3 difference.

19 minutes ago, dides said:

Thanks for the review so far and great pictures.  Where do you go to get added to the Dinner on the Edge list?

We saw the hostess at Cosmopolitan Restaurant. That’s where the host on the Magic Carpet directed us. I’m not super confident in the process. She literally wrote our stateroom number on a notepad - no other notes or anything. We’ll see if anything comes of it!

Off to muster drill now!

1 hour ago, beachbunny6 said:

I got the numbers from the X site today.  So, it looks as if we are all SOL, as they say. :classic_angry:

Does anyone have the prices from the Martini Bar?  Need to see if they, too, are over the Premium Package allowance.  :classic_unsure:

The X site says both $13 (on my cruise planner) and $15 (https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/onboard-packages/beverage-packages/premium-classic-and-standard). But I think recent cruisers have confirmed it's $15.

2 hours ago, ohhbother said:

And here’s a view of our IV - I would think this should be labeled as obstructed view going forward. We wouldn’t book it again. 

image.jpg

Out of curiousity... what cabin number. They did update their obstructed cabin list... but missed a few. This one should have made the list because of the davit.... the thingy that holds the lifeboats and tenders. VT located this document somewhere... not sure of her source... but I do know that they missed a few near the back of the ship...

EDGE_50Percent_Obstructed_View.pdf

Thanks for the bar menus! The premium is for up to $15 and the classic before the recent increase was up to $9. Since the price of the classic package increased in Nov I am thinking that the allowanceper cocktail also increased 

1 hour ago, kearney said:

Out of curiousity... what cabin number. They did update their obstructed cabin list... but missed a few. This one should have made the list because of the davit.... the thingy that holds the lifeboats and tenders. VT located this document somewhere... not sure of her source... but I do know that they missed a few near the back of the ship...

EDGE_50Percent_Obstructed_View.pdf

The cabin number is 6243. It’s not a terrible obstruction. For three days, I’m not sweating it. If this were a longer cruise, I’d be unhappy. I hadn’t seen the list of obstructed view cabins - oh well. It’s really not that big a deal. 

I’m not sure what I think of the infinite veranda. It’s really not like a balcony. It’s more like having an open window in the room since you never step outside. You don’t get the feeling of being outdoors. At the moment, we have the window open and it’s becoming uncomfortably warm in the room. Going to have to close it so the AC can cool it down in here. 

Biggest complaint so far - and it’s a minor one — the broadcast of the SEC championship game isn’t working. There are some very unhappy football fans onboard! 

We have dinner reservations at 7

in Normandie, so we’re anxious to see what that’s like. Normandie was also our muster station.

I did make it to the shops when they opened. I’m $250 poorer but now have an Edge ship model, two Edge shirts and a pair of Edge yoga pants. 

Other random notes:

- The Magic Carpet was “at capacity” at sail away. You couldn’t go in until someone left. 

- The sweet treats at the various cafes

differ at each location. It’s nice having some variety. 

- The all-female group performing by the martini bar is really good. Folksy. I enjoy that style of music. 

- There’s a ton of storage in the IV staterooms, and the bathroom is quite spacious. A really good use of space!

• Like 1

Enjoying your review. A question about the IV and the AC. If the bifold doors are closed, will the AC work with the window open, or does the AC only work when the window is closed?  It seems to me many people would want the room cool when the bifold doors were closed and the IV was more like a traditional balcony. 

Adding my first impressions to Amy’s. 

We arrived at the port (driving from Tampa) at 1:15 and luggage drop, parking and check in were a total breeze!  I was super impressed considering the fact that  I couldn’t get anything to print out from home and so we had no luggage tags or even a single piece of paper with any info with us. We were on board and on our way to our room before 2 pm!  

The Celebrity Suite is lovely!  Very nice layout and roomy balcony with a table for two on one side and two club armchairs on the other side. I really love the balcony! 

There is a nice living room area with a couch, ottoman and coffee table across from the tv. Weirdly, they have a rocker type chair right in between that space that I whacked my toe on right away so we have moved it back towards the balcony. The bathroom has a nice split plan with the toilet and a sink when you come in the door and then a connecting door with another sink area and shower/tub that is off the bedroom. We are still trying to figure out the lighting and can’t get some of the lights to turn off at all. 😳

We’ve been all over the ship and it is amazing!  

We went to the bar at Eden and there is an upcharge for their specialty drinks even with the premium package. I loved the drink presentation but taste wise I’m not sure it’s an $18 drink. We also had drinks at the Martini Bar and there was no extra charge. I loved this space and the all-female band. 

So far, the Suite Class service has been a little underwhelming. I had ordered bar set up for my husband (I brought wine for myself to have in the stateroom) and we literally just had it delivered at 6:30,  after several calls about it. They were all out of the brand we had requested but he’s not picky so it’s all good. We are looking forward to trying Luminae for dinner and then checking out some of the nighttime venues. 

Amy, we have your same minor complaint that we can’t get the game!  Our favorite teams are Auburn and whoever is playing Alabama,  so go Georgia. 🤣

• Like 1

I have to belive that with all these short cruises and the change overs in such a short turn around time there is not much of a rhythm yet. Sorry to hear that you had to wait so long for your set up. 

Glad you like your suite....will you be posting any pictures of it? The CS is my all time favorite on the S-Class ships. 

Really glad to hear that the storage is good. The closet looked tight for a long cruise or one with 4 passengers. My original concern was what to do with all the little stuff... and that hidden storage answers that question. I do wish they would provide a shallow basket that you could store under the sink...with makeup and then bring it to the vanity when you need it. That would address issues of the moveable vanity table with not storage. I do wonder how popular the IV will be for the sunbathing and sun tolerant folks. I burn easily an frankly regret every time I sit on the balcony of a regular cabin. I am assuming that sitting on the open IV will help minimize reflective sun... so I may enjoy it more than most.  But I wonder if they have considered that those who would normally soak up the sun on their balcony... will now need a lounge chair... not sure they have enough. Have fun.. when you are done... look for the thread to rate your cabin. That would help others... particularly the view issues

7 hours ago, ohhbother said:

And here’s a view of our IV - I would think this should be labeled as obstructed view going forward. We wouldn’t book it again. 

image.jpg

Not the greatest view..but you can see water,

How do you like the Veranda in general,...furniture, window, shade mechanism, bifold doors etc,

3 hours ago, ohhbother said:

The cabin number is 6243. It’s not a terrible obstruction. For three days, I’m not sweating it. If this were a longer cruise, I’d be unhappy. I hadn’t seen the list of obstructed view cabins - oh well. It’s really not that big a deal. 

I’m not sure what I think of the infinite veranda. It’s really not like a balcony. It’s more like having an open window in the room since you never step outside. You don’t get the feeling of being outdoors. At the moment, we have the window open and it’s becoming uncomfortably warm in the room. Going to have to close it so the AC can cool it down in here. 

Enjoying your live review!  Thanks for the observation and how you feel about the IV balcony. Does the AC shut off when you open the "window"?

Just came back to the stateroom. Some recap thoughts for day one:

- As someone else noted, check-in was incredibly easy. No lines of any sort. Just walked in, someone scanned my pass on my phone and scanned my passport, asked us if we’d had flu symptoms in the past seven days and then that was it. Easy peasy. No forms to fill out. No keys to pick up. Keys were delivered to our stateroom by our steward. 

- Dinner at Normandie was delicious. I had the baked Brie, crispy Thai beef spring roll, beef tenderloin and guava sorbet. Mark had the potato tart, some sort of salad with arugula, the beef tenderloin, opera cake and guava sorbet. The standouts were the appetizers - all three were delicious. The baked brie was divine. 

- The “light show” above the martini bar is a lot of fun. If you’ve ever seen Trans Siberian Orchestra perform, it’s very similar. Dancing lights synchronized to electric-pop-classical music. Very loud. Fun vibe but I imagine it was impossible to have dinner conversation in the nearby restaurants. 

- We bought the unlimited digital photo package for $130. We’ve already had more than a dozen photos made. We’re going to get our money’s worth!

- Went to the solarium after dinner, and it - and all of deck 14 - was deserted. We had the HUGE hot tub in the solarium to ourselves for awhile. Seriously, 20 people could fit in that hot tub. There’s only one in the solarium, but it’s a big one!

- As for questions about the IV, we haven’t closed the bifold doors to see what effect - if any - that has on the AC. We might try that tomorrow. 

- Part of the reason we haven’t closed the veranda doors is because the space over there is SO tight. You have to move the chairs to get “on” the veranda,

and you have to move them again to get out. There’s no floor space at all. The two chairs and table take it all up. I do have to say the chairs are much more

comfortable than they look!

- I do think the IV rooms would be great on a cold-weather cruise. We would have loved having that huge “window” in Norway and the Bristish Isles. 

- We have a dinner reservation at Eden Monday night but are canceling it. We don’t eat seafood, and most of the courses have no options other than seafood. I was hoping the menu had more choices than what’s listed on the app, but it doesn’t.  We went by tonight and looked at the actual menu - a no-go for us. 

- We do plan to have lunch at the Eden Cafe. Went by there today and the sandwiches look really good. Snack note - they have bags of Lays chips just sitting out. We grabbed a couple for in-room snacking. A nice treat!

- We’re really enjoying exploring all the nooks and crannies of the ship. The furniture is really colorful and eclectic - just like the artwork. 

With that, I think we’re going to turn in. We hope to get an early start to what should be a packed day tomorrow. I wonder if anyone at all will get off the ship in Nassau. We’re sure not. The ship IS the destination!

6D5FCD0D-B3B4-4336-B3DE-7E1FC5000CE1.jpeg

FD20336F-EA78-4BC8-A7C6-CC821D18AB33.jpeg

27681BE8-5304-4DFA-9C3A-2ED10A4ADA2B.jpeg

4C813F2C-EB52-410D-A940-4DBA3BC97EBC.jpeg

• Like 3