The EDGE of Glory: a live 12/1 trip report

ohhbother

OP here. End of our second day on the Edge, and what a fun day it’s been! This evening, we went a comedy show in the theatre. Comedian was good, mildly funny,

clean humor. An enjoyable way to spend 45 minutes. It’s chic night, so photo ops were set up all along decks 3 and 4. Since we have the unlimited photo package, we hit them all up. 

Dinner tonight was at Tuscan. There were a few more “new ship” kinks tonight. The hostess couldn’t find the table she was supposed to take us to, the waiter stumbled over the menu specials - just little things where it was obvious they’re still learning. 

We did ask to move tables tonight and were accommodated. When we were first seated, it was at a table for two directly beside a table for two. There was no way not to make small talk without being rude - and small talk on vacation just isn’t my thing. I’m a PR VP, and I’m “on” most of the year. When I’m on vacation, I just want to relax. So we asked to move to a more private table, and the staff was great about it. 

The food tonight was very good. I had the Asiago flan, the bean soup and the Porchetta. Mark had corn soup, a salad and beef tournedos. We both had the phyllo citrus tulip for dessert. A delicious meal, but between the two, I slightly prefer Normandie. 

After dinner, we went to Eden for the 10 pm Revelation performance. It was ... interesting. Funniest part was when the older gentleman standing behind me remarked, “Well, it’s nice they’ve put the homeless to work.” It’s just bizarre performance art. Can’t see this sustaining for years. The space is lovely. But I bet it becomes a more traditional music venue at some point. 

We we went to the Club after we left Eden. The interactive cameras are a blast. You mug for the camera, and your video gets broadcast on the huge screen. They also text your video to your phone. Loved that!

We wrapped up the evening by watching football for a bit at the Rooftop Garden and then playing on an empty deck 14 - taking lots of fun photos and selfies. The lighting makes for some gorgeous photo

spots at night. 

Were turning in for the evening now. Only one more day on the ship - and then we’ll count the days until we’re back on board for a week in April!

B9C19E01-B6AC-448E-9717-D4C3021C72AE.jpeg

87DC0F3A-91EE-4318-BA0A-7F2DCDA7689D.jpeg

5086D2A2-A5A4-4F5C-8F04-1B29B6544D94.jpeg

4D3E143A-7985-4012-9385-8CF6A57B0B5E.jpeg

AF165C1B-14EE-4355-8B1C-48A2F96A44C1.jpeg

806D7F5F-CDA5-461E-AA5A-D58451BD3170.jpeg

D2C08136-1EFB-49E3-A1F7-4E488BF80E1B.jpeg

6DC34128-505D-4640-8EE1-390D3508245C.jpeg

34CE08A5-EEFB-4742-ACCB-433F3D447F6C.jpeg

50C011AF-34BD-4066-A059-07BAB9D30C01.jpeg

59008E46-C46D-40F6-970E-82EF30275CA8.jpeg

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Agillett said:

I'm glad to hear that the room stays cool with the bifold doors closed.  Does the A/C still turn off even if the bifold doors are closed?

I think the AC stays on whether the doors are open or closed. But when the doors are open, it gets very hot very quickly - you have a big open window in the room letting warm, humid air in. 

I also had visions of a bird flying in today. Seagulls kept landing on the lifeboat right outside our window. It’s not a stretch to think a bird could fly right into the room. That would not be cool. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ohhbother said:

I think the AC stays on whether the doors are open or closed. But when the doors are open, it gets very hot very quickly - you have a big open window in the room letting warm, humid air in. 

I also had visions of a bird flying in today. Seagulls kept landing on the lifeboat right outside our window. It’s not a stretch to think a bird could fly right into the room. That would not be cool. 

Perhaps that's why the “doors” are there, to keep wildlife from landing on your bed. 😉 😁

Ohhbrother, I have seem a number of comments about the separation of suite passengers from regular folk. The question I have is do you even notice the 'separation'. My experience on Oasis class ships is that you don't notice that at all because of the way the ship is designed... and even with S class... Michaels club and the restaurants are tucked away so you don't really feel excluded. How does it feel on Edge? Is there a feeling of 'classes' or do you not really feel cut off? The issue I have is lack of forward view unless you pay suite prices.

8 minutes ago, kearney said:

Ohhbrother, I have seem a number of comments about the separation of suite passengers from regular folk. The question I have is do you even notice the 'separation'. My experience on Oasis class ships is that you don't notice that at all because of the way the ship is designed... and even with S class... Michaels club and the restaurants are tucked away so you don't really feel excluded. How does it feel on Edge? Is there a feeling of 'classes' or do you not really feel cut off? The issue I have is lack of forward view unless you pay suite prices.

We don’t notice the separation at all. The only time you even see the distinction is on Deck 15 if you happen to walk by the entrance to The Retreat. 

My husband did ask about going to the front of the ship, and I had to tell him there’s nowhere to do that. So he was mildly disappointed. But that’s the only time it’s even come up. 

I dont what it is about cruise ships, but we just woke up at 10:45! We slept almost 11 hours. No breakfast for us today. But my goodness do we feel rested!

Off to begin our last day on board...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ohhbother said:

I dont what it is about cruise ships, but we just woke up at 10:45! We slept almost 11 hours. No breakfast for us today. But my goodness do we feel rested!

Off to begin our last day on board...

Nothing like black out shades to get a good nights sleep. Oh do they have a night light in the bathroom? I assume you can find your way there in the dark. Sounds like you might need to set an alarm... to keep you from sleeping the day away

On 12/2/2018 at 8:47 AM, ecslady said:

You  stated that the room steward brought you your key cards.  When did he do that?  Did you have to go find him? As soon as I get to the cabin, I like to drop my stuff and go out exploring. Would I need to wait for him to come with the cards?

Does anyone know if you can use your phone app to access your room while you await contact with your room steward?

23 minutes ago, kearney said:

The question I have is do you even notice the 'separation'. My experience on Oasis class ships is that you don't notice that at all because of the way the ship is designed.

Please educate me if I am wrong, but I did not think that the Oasis class ships on RCI had a separate pool area like the Retreat for those in suites.

The ship within a ship concept is of course alive and well on NCL with the Haven and on MSC with the Yacht Club.

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Please educate me if I am wrong, but I did not think that the Oasis class ships on RCI had a separate pool area like the Retreat for those in suites.

The ship within a ship concept is of course alive and well on NCL with the Haven and on MSC with the Yacht Club.

You are correct, they don't have a pool but they have a private dining area and a private cocktail lounge... on deck 17. They took an area that would have been the viking lounge... with nice views and made it into the dining area and cocktail lounge.  But you don't really realize it is there because the elevator does not stop there unless you are a suite passenger.

To answer the question above, there is a night light in the bathroom. I’ll just say again how well laid out the bathroom is -

really good use of space. Roomy shower and plenty of counter and shelf space to store things. 

We’re enjoying a quiet day at sea. The weather is perfect - hot and sunny. So the outdoor decks are pretty full as you might imagine. 

We had lunch at Oceanview Cafe and have now made our way to Eden to sit in comfy chairs and read awhile. Eden is VERY popular during the day - there are tons of people in here reading,

enjoying quiet conversation, etc. They even have coloring books and pencils if you’re so inclined. I noticed the Eden Cafe is hopping today. I think that’s going to be a very popular lunch destination. 

Speaking of food, all the restaurants on board are doing a neat thing from 12-2. It’s called Taste of Edge. There are tables set up outside all the restaurants with complimentary bite-size samples of their signature dishes. For instance, croque monsieur at Bistro and steak at Fine Cut. It was a neat way to sample different foods. 

Below, a photo of the sample dish at Blu. And a shot of my current view from inside Eden. 

F5D1D932-5465-463B-B484-DF8C6F8742A1.jpeg

26EDBAC2-879D-4DAA-BE5A-CB6F663920E7.jpeg

24 minutes ago, ohhbother said:

Eden is VERY popular during the day - there are tons of people in here reading,

enjoying quiet conversation, etc.

Since Edge doesn't have the sky lounge like the other Celebrity ships I imagine those people who normally enjoy quiet time up there will now cozy up in Eden.

I wish that I could adequately describe the “entertainment” that’s been occurring in Eden for the past 30 minutes. Three sprite-type creatures have roamed around, stolen all the pillows from the chairs, piled the pillows on the center stage, rolled around in the pillows - all while fanning themselves. Whoever described it as a car accident was pretty dead on - you just can’t look away. There’s a man from Miami Beach and a woman from Brooklyn sitting across from me - they’ve bonded over their complete head-scratching disbelief at what we’re seeing. The man remarked it seems like a ruse to keep selling drinks - LOL. 

It really is impossible to describe. You’ll just have to experience it for yourself. But 

so far, it seems like there are three types of people in here:

- those who get it, or are at least pretending to 

- those of us who are clearly not cultured enough to get it and are, thus, laughing at the absurdity of it (including myself in this bunch)

- and finally, those who are eating their sandwiches and salads and apparently paying zero attention to the performance occurring three feet in front of them

If nothing else, it’s creating fun conversation among all of us who don’t get it. We’re literally sitting up here cracking ourselves up. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ohhbother said:

I wish that I could adequately describe the “entertainment” that’s been occurring in Eden for the past 30 minutes. Three sprite-type creatures have roamed around, stolen all the pillows from the chairs, piled the pillows on the center stage, rolled around in the pillows - all while fanning themselves. Whoever described it as a car accident was pretty dead on - you just can’t look away. There’s a man from Miami Beach and a woman from Brooklyn sitting across from me - they’ve bonded over their complete head-scratching disbelief at what we’re seeing. The man remarked it seems like a ruse to keep selling drinks - LOL. 

It really is impossible to describe. You’ll just have to experience it for yourself. But 

so far, it seems like there are three types of people in here:

- those who get it, or are at least pretending to 

- those of us who are clearly not cultured enough to get it and are, thus, laughing at the absurdity of it (including myself in this bunch)

- and finally, those who are eating their sandwiches and salads and apparently paying zero attention to the performance occurring three feet in front of them

If nothing else, it’s creating fun conversation among all of us who don’t get it. We’re literally sitting up here cracking ourselves up. 

I found the space of Eden very nice...especially the view in the daytime. The Edonites I found entertaining for about 5 minutes,,,after that I felt like I was on a drug trip watching and talking to them. What kept coming to me was....have you ever seen the Str Trek episode ..."The Way To Eden"...that has to be where someone dreamt this up from. 

• Haha 1

Okay has anyone seen the ship's resident poet? It was listed in activity ap for Dec 16 sailing... just wondering if that is going to be a beatnik type thing... think Dick Shaw audition in "The Producers".

Also has anyone seen a snakeman/lizardman from the initial Eden renderings?

Oh I wanted to mention... that if you use the controls away from the window the shades go up or down non-stop... but apparently if you do so at the window... you can do partially down or up.. That is good to know.

8 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I found the space of Eden very nice...especially the view in the daytime. The Edonites I found entertaining for about 5 minutes,,,after that I felt like I was on a drug trip watching and talking to them. What kept coming to me was....have you ever seen the Star Trek episode ..."The Way To Eden"...that has to be where someone dreamt this up from. 

Ah... got it! 😉

Edited by C-Dragons

4 hours ago, jruben18 said:

Does anyone know if you can use your phone app to access your room while you await contact with your room steward?

Going back to the original comments about receiving your card from your room attendant, I mentioned that to an X rep I was speaking to on the phone today, and he said, no, that the cards are given out at check-in.  So, I laughed and said that was not what happened to whoever it was that posted it here on the CC board.  (Sorry I forgot who it was, and I am not going to go back to find out)  He proceeded to tell me that I should not believe what someone who was not with X says.  So, I immediately said thanks and goodbye and hung up!  I mean, what the heck was THAT?  I know whoever posted it here had it happen for sure!  No doubt in my mind.  Period. End of discussion.  Stupid Rep!  He better realize that we Edgies are a close-knit group and that we do not tell untruths here!  Whatever. :classic_angry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Going back to the original comments about receiving your card from your room attendant, I mentioned that to an X rep I was speaking to on the phone today, and he said, no, that the cards are given out at check-in.  So, I laughed and said that was not what happened to whoever it was that posted it here on the CC board.  (Sorry I forgot who it was, and I am not going to go back to find out)  He proceeded to tell me that I should not believe what someone who was not with X says.  So, I immediately said thanks and goodbye and hung up!  I mean, what the heck was THAT?  I know whoever posted it here had it happen for sure!  No doubt in my mind.  Period. End of discussion.  Stupid Rep!  He better realize that we Edgies are a close-knit group and that we do not tell untruths here!  Whatever. :classic_angry:

I am onboard now and I can confirm that the seapass cards to our rooms were not given to us at check-in. They were sealed in an envelope placed outside our cabin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!  Shows you how well the information is relayed to the phone reps at X.  Sad.  :classic_ohmy:

Next question is WHY would they leave them out in the corridor for just anyone to pick up?  That doesn't seem like a very good idea to me, but what do I know?

Edited by beachbunny6

23 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

We received our Sea Passes when we checked in and needed them to board the ship.  

Edited by Oville
  • Thanks 1

We had our in sealed envelopes all 3 times - we used our Xpress Pass to get onto the ship (back to back was different in that we were given temporary blue cards to reboard and then our new one was outside of stateroom). It's nice because you can go to your cabin and drop off carry ons and take your Sea Passes. I don't think they would do anyone any good to take them and try to use them - your picture flashes up wherever you use it. You have to rip open a perforated envelope so you would know if someone tampered with it.

This is mine after opening:

image.thumb.png.d1e465fefed1b7aa17dc286edbeb187b.png

• Thanks 1