Royal IQ going away

h20skibum

Just now, Biker19 said:

That's a bit surprising - I would have thought they'd concentrate on adding ships that don't have it at all. Say goodbye to the free texting.

Free texting has been nice, but we have one VOOM anyway

4 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

What will it be replaced with?  

As long as there's a replacement, I'm fine. If they abandon a good idea, that would be stupid.

It will be replaced with the Royal Caribbean App.

9 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

The Royal Caribbean app seems to have a lot more information than IQ.  I have not been impressed with the IQ app this trip. 

I believe the new app will have or already has a free chat function.

58 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I believe the new app will have or already has a free chat function.

I hope it is better than the chat function on IQ.  You had to have the app open, and continually check on IQ. 

We we had to get the $8 chat for IQ to keep in touch with our android friends. 

Imessage did continue to work, even back to the mainland 

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

On the morning show on Harmony this morning, they said the Harmony will be getting the Royal Caribbean app in the next week or two.  Royal IQ will be going away. 

I have an upcoming cruise on Harmony so thank you for this info. 

44 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I hope it is better than the chat function on IQ.  You had to have the app open, and continually check on IQ. 

We we had to get the $8 chat for IQ to keep in touch with our android friends. 

Imessage did continue to work, even back to the mainland 

So far the chat feature is only on Allure. Same issues with not having push notifications. 

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

So far the chat feature is only on Allure. Same issues with not having push notifications. 

I've not seen many reports  of the chat feature yet, but I'm not sure it has a store & forward capability.  In other words, if your phone is off (or disconnected from the ship's WiFi) and someone sends a message or chat request, I'm not sure there's any indication when the phone is re-connected.

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I've not seen many reports  of the chat feature yet, but I'm not sure it has a store & forward capability.  In other words, if your phone is off (or disconnected from the ship's WiFi) and someone sends a message or chat request, I'm not sure there's any indication when the phone is re-connected.

3 weeks and I'll test it out. Of course that only works if my teenagers decide to answer or if they decide to blame the app for not getting messages. 

• Haha 2

Maybe when they update to include Harmony, other features may become available for all the ships. 

Wasn’t their projected timetable to have it available on all ships by the end of the year?

Indy is one of the ships that uses the app. Will see if chat gets added in the next 30 days before we sail her. 

This is good to read.  Hopefully, the change actually occurs by the end of the year.  You can use the Royal app pre trip for planning and information, which makes the app more useful than the Royal IQ and adds to pre cruise excitement.  The countdown clock is also nice but not as nice looking as the countdown clock Carnival has on their app.  

On 12/1/2018 at 3:12 PM, Biker19 said:

Maybe for another ship, but on Harmony you'll lose free texting. Also, functionally, the RCI app is barely there compared to the Royal IQ app.

Good to know, I presumed since the Royal app was replacing the Royal IQ app, it would be better. Seemed like a  reasonable, logical thought at the time. 

@Ourusualbeach, how do you know that the IQ app will remain on the Anthem throughout December?  I am sailing in less than 2 weeks and just don't want to deal with the complaints from my kids about no texting etc.  But even worse, I don't want to spend an additional $350 for internet for 8 days!