Too Early MIA Departure?

garyl62

I booked our flights directly with AA sometime ago for our March of '19 Equinox cruise. Due to changes AA has made in aircraft and departure times we need to make changes to our original schedule.  So now we're looking at either 10:05 or 8:40AM flights. I don't think we'd have an issue with the 10:05, but we prefer the aircraft at 8:40. 

When returning to the Port of Miami, how early has anyone made it to MIA?

Working in our favor is we are booked in a suite, will walk off with luggage, are TSA Pre-check, and booked revenue first class on AA.  We'd Uber to MIA. 

I've read through a lot of posts about departure times and know there are many opinions and variables that can affect things. Ultimintally we'll have to make a decision we're comfortable with, so what I'm really wondering is if anyone has experience making it to MIA by 8:00AM or before. 

You will not be happy if you book the 8:40 flight.  That is just too early.  We travel in first class and even with that if, by a miracle, you made it to the airport by 8:00 that is too late to check in luggage.

I would definitely aim for the 10:05 which is also a little early, but doable. 

• Like 1

I have heard of some crazy times people try to make flights on these boards, but I think this one wins the prize.  Seriously, your odds of making a flight that early are very slim.  Is it possible?  Yes, you might make it.  I'd give you about a 20% chance, and that is probably generous.  I hate to say it, but even the 10:05 is risky.  It is not unusual to have delays in Customs, at the airport (seems like almost everyone is TSA pre-check these days), waiting for your Uber (you are not alone in wanting one so early), traffic, etc..  We have had a couple cruises where Customs delayed us until 9:00 for disembarkation to even begin - it can and does happen, albeit rarely.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I have heard of some crazy times people try to make flights on these boards, but I think this one wins the prize.  Seriously, your odds of making a flight that early are very slim.  Is it possible?  Yes, you might make it.  I'd give you about a 20% chance, and that is probably generous.  I hate to say it, but even the 10:05 is risky.  It is not unusual to have delays in Customs, at the airport (seems like almost everyone is TSA pre-check these days), waiting for your Uber (you are not alone in wanting one so early), traffic, etc..  We have had a couple cruises where Customs delayed us until 9:00 for disembarkation to even begin - it can and does happen, albeit rarely.

Thanks for your opinion about my "crazy" question. I clearly stated in my original post there are a lot of opinions and variables related to this so I asked if anyone has actually made it to MIA by 8:00AM. I'm guessing you haven't. 

7 hours ago, garyl62 said:

Thanks for your opinion about my "crazy" question. I clearly stated in my original post there are a lot of opinions and variables related to this so I asked if anyone has actually made it to MIA by 8:00AM. I'm guessing you haven't. 

I almost missed a 10:30 in fact.  Considering how much extra info I gave you, obviously I was just teasing you or I wouldn't have bothered.  Sorry if you took offense.  No offense meant.

• Like 1

I wouldn't even dream about a flight that early. Even if you got off the ship at 6:00, then went through customs, you wouldn't make it. It takes about 20 minutes without traffic to get to the airport. You then have to check in, and go through security. By this time the plane is long gone. By the way, you can probably forget about no traffic, especially at the airport.

I presume you are on a Caribbean cruise and not a repo. We embarked in November from an Azamara cruise (690 max passengers) and had almost no delay through CBP but it still took us over 40 minutes from ship to the port curb. 

I can only imagine the scene with self disembarking passengers......

I would absolutely never book an 8:40 flight after disembarkation. I'd also think long and hard about the 10:05 flight and probably not book that either.

MIA with so many ships in on a Saturday will be a challenge in itself.

I wish you good luck. 

Unless something has changed in the last year, security at MIA is almost always terrible.  The last time I was through there, the PreCheck line took half an hour to get through because so many people were in it (the regular line was about twice as long).  And, of course, having PreCheck doesn't guarantee that you will be able to use the PreCheck line if you're randomly assigned to go through the regular screening.

Much has changed in Miami over the last year. There are no longer any customs forms to fill out. Just show your passport and go. I have been through customs in Miami twice this year and both time there were absolutely no lines. Just breezed right through.

2 hours ago, gimletgal said:

Much has changed in Miami over the last year. There are no longer any customs forms to fill out. Just show your passport and go. I have been through customs in Miami twice this year and both time there were absolutely no lines. Just breezed right through.

Been through Miami at least twice this year where we definitely did not breeze through - there were long lines each time.  Depends on circumstances I guess - each cruise is different.

We barely made an 1130 flight last December & we had Luggage Valet (no luggage to airport check), TSA precheck & first class. We got off the ship by 0830 & were at airport at 0900. The security lines at MIA were insane. I’ve made earlier flights but won’t try again at MIA. It was a Sunday morning

On 9-22-18 we "self- disembarked" an MSC cruise (Mia) and were through the MIA TSA checkpoint (with precheck) at 726am.

We didn't check any bags or actually go to ticket counter.

We used uber and were probably 15th person off the ship.

I would take early flight, but you need to decide if you are willing to risk it.

No way would we do the 8:40 flight. Not a good way to end a cruise stressing on making an early flight time. The stress would start for us the minute we booked the flight. We wouldn't do the 10:05. 👎👎 We never do self disembarkation either so we try to get flights around noon if we aren't doing a post cruise stay. 

Edited by davekathy

19 hours ago, dodger1964 said:

On 9-22-18 we "self- disembarked" an MSC cruise (Mia) and were through the MIA TSA checkpoint (with precheck) at 726am.

We didn't check any bags or actually go to ticket counter.

We used uber and were probably 15th person off the ship.

I would take early flight, but you need to decide if you are willing to risk it.

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

I actually took a screenshot pic on my phone so I would remember the time...In that past we have taken early flights and I never actually remembered exact times we had gotten thru airport security...so this time I wanted to make sure I would have accurate info to pass on.

It really isn't that stressful (many on here would disagree). Most (and we can argue the percentages) times the ship is cleared on time and early flights are easily made...but there is always the chance of that not happening.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dodger1964 said:

I actually took a screenshot pic on my phone so I would remember the time...In that past we have taken early flights and I never actually remembered exact times we had gotten thru airport security...so this time I wanted to make sure I would have accurate info to pass on.

It really isn't that stressful (many on here would disagree). Most (and we can argue the percentages) times the ship is cleared on time and early flights are easily made...but there is always the chance of that not happening.

And that chance is why we consider it too stressful. 

Everyone has different stress triggers. Some of us thrive on things like this and if we miss the flight what's the worst thing that happens? Just get on the next one and the type of tickets we have same day changes are done at no cost.

38 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

Everyone has different stress triggers. Some of us thrive on things like this and if we miss the flight what's the worst thing that happens? Just get on the next one and the type of tickets we have same day changes are done at no cost.

What do you do if there aren't any seats available on the next flight or the next several flights? You'll get to thrive all day.

5 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

What do you do if there aren't any seats available on the next flight or the next several flights? You'll get to thrive all day.

Yep! Could also slip in at the last second. Either way, it will be a great story to tell! 

Since you are coming in on a Saturday, check to see how many mega ships I’ll also be in port.   We have found Miami on those days to be a nightmare, especially security.   You will need to be at the airport at 7:10, 90 minutes before departure.   We left on a non busy Mondayin th early morning.   We were also first class, TSA pre check and it still took 30 minutes to get through security.   The pre check line was much longer than the other but you didn’t need to take off shoes or get out plastic bags.   Quite a few folks needed a secondary scanning (metal hips, ankles etc) which really slowed down the line.    Remember you are also at the height of Spring Break time.   Good Luck!

hoever, if you happened to be flight crew, you may go through a side door.   Don’t know if that only works when you are in uniform