Back from The Edge

cruzemaven

21 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

I live in Miami and have never heard of this hotel.It sounds like some new age gimmicky kind of place and not at all something I would choose. If I want edgey I stay at  W's

What do you think of what Virgin Voyages has in the works?

3 minutes ago, B-Rizzle said:

What do you think of what Virgin Voyages has in the works?

I don't know much about it yet. I am more of the Ritz Carlton Yachting category. They sound wonderful. Also I still haven't done a Crystal and if I can finally find an itinerary I like that will be next. 

29 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

I live in Miami and have never heard of this hotel.It sounds like some new age gimmicky kind of place and not at all something I would choose. If I want edgey I stay at  W's

Sounds like someone is  pushing that South Beach  hotel, its show Samsara and Spectra co...   they have places and shows like that in NYC too...but not where I would stay,   We are not interested in Virgin Voyages and hope X will still be good for us...

20 minutes ago, hcat said:

Sounds like someone is  pushing that South Beach  hotel, its show Samsara and Spectra co...   they have places and shows like that in NYC too...but not where I would stay,   We are not interested in Virgin Voyages and hope X will still be good for us...

I'm not pushing anything if your post was directed at me. My point is that we see all these complaints that The Edge has this or that is terrible or bad and why would they ever create something like that or why would they design something like that -  no one is going to like it. In posting those examples I want to show that there ARE places and experiences in other vacation venues that are similar to what Celebrity has done with The Edge. 

The Preview videos that were released two years ago pretty much laid out the vision for The Edge. I mean they hired a Celebrity designer,Nate Burkus, to be the Design Ambassador. Who does that? From the very beginning Celebrity has been very transparent about what they wanted to achieve with The Edge. I wish people would be a bit more opened minded. For those looking for a more traditional cruise experience there PLENTY of other cruiselines to choose from.   

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Have you seen Spectra's Cabaret on Royal's Anthem (Not sure if it's on other Quantum Class ships)? If so I'm wondering what you thought of that particular show. I loved it! 

http://m.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/608/spectras-cabaret-in-two70-on-anthem-of-the-seas/

Anthem of the Seas, as well as Quantum Class in general, has received it's fair share of criticism.  Spectra's Cabaret, seems hit and miss, but I generally like it, especially the opening funk.

On 12/7/2018 at 10:01 AM, miched said:

So you can approach the host at Luminae  and request to sit with another couple and then pay $30 to dine there?  🤔

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I doubt that... we dined with our friends who were booked in a suite.., they were charged the additional $30.00 for each additional non suite guest and we reimbursed them

No one can tell what will be the fate of the entire Edge experiment.  I do hope with all sincerity that the designers think seriously before spending another billion dollars on a ship with mainly enhanced ocean view rooms promoted as verandas. 

Passenger response, booking sales along with ship's operational experiences will decide if features like the Magic Carpet or a venue like Eden and performance art is to become part of the new Celebrity. 

In any case Celebrity still has a pretty good menu to choose from and aside from its abandoning of the Northeast in the early months it is still our pick as number one.

I am sure even if the EDGE winds up to be less than popular with the mainstream, Celebrity, with thoughtful well targeted advertising and well planned itineraries will make it a success as a specially themed cruise ship in Celebrity's arsenal..

20 hours ago, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

Sounds like she is more widely known in the UK.. On the other hand, I don't know the name of any living interior designer.. So it just might be me.

From the UK, who is she? Never heard of her!

For those that have already sailed on the Edge, I have a couple questions.

1.  Did you notice a higher percentage of people in their 20's and 30's onboard?

2.  Where people more or less polite and relaxed compared to your previous X cruises?

These two questions are unrelated.  I'm genuinely curious if demographics shift on this class of ship.  Also, I enjoy how calm everyone is on classic Celebrity, and believe it is partially due to the chill atmosphere.  If that changed enough, you could see a mood shift.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

No, not skewed younger.  Many times more grandpas than Millenials.

Much of the time the music beat is a cross between zumba and a Club, even the Christmas music which is all “remixed”. Often you could hear two different beats coming from two different sources.  We noticed especially in Dafe al Bacio that the mood and ambiance were not “mellow” but more like a big hotel lobby during a convention, with people talking loudly on cell phones or to each other.  Loudly to overcome the music’s volume.  So, not mellow.

eden was ok during the morning. Generally quiet, lots of people reading or dozing.  Until lunch when the general level of activity rose as people hunted for tables and ate their lunches.

hard to judge “politeness”. People got a little testy waiting in line for tendering at Grand Cayman, but the line was long and so was the wait and the level of agitation was about what I’ve seen on other Celebrity ships at tender ports.

other than embarkation day, there was never a wait for elevators so no one got snappish there.  

You ask good questions.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, Iamthesea said:

Pour servers last night we’re talking about their conversations with servers on the Magic Carpet. They said that the Magic Carpet dinner service has been a disaster.  Too windy most of the time and things constantly blowing over and off the tables.

As for the escargot, I was able to get it in Blu.  For the first time in 15 cruises, I was unable to finish them.  The recipe was different and not very appealing.  I may give it one more try to see if I have the same experience.  Will also try ordering the French onion soup.  

So puzzling that the signature feature of the Edge is that problematic …

Even more so would be getting escargots wrong?!  Come on, how can anyone ruin escargots??! Lol

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 3:41 PM, ptf2009 said:

Um....count me in on the ABBA tribute any day:)

I second that ! (don't tell my DW though) …

"Eden delivers a transformative experience that just as organically blends nature with design as it does culinary and performance art."  … after reading some reviews and watching snippets of the 'entertainment' that is being presented aboard the Edge, should have known that the words 'transformative', 'organically' and 'performance art' in a sentence, means that for me, it probably won't be my cup of tea … lol