LIVE from the Royal Princess - Dec 15, 2018 - Eastern Caribbean

CanadianBurger

7 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

Guests were posting last week that new TVs were delivered to staterooms. It looks brand new. 

Yes we were on last week and the TVs were installed the week before during the wetdock.  We boarded early and our steward brought us brand new remotes still in the bags.

8 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

Guests were posting last week that new TVs were delivered to staterooms. It looks brand new. 

We were on Royal from November 17th to Dec 1st, every cabin on Lido Mid Forward had new TV’s delivered to their cabin, including our mini suite.   

16 minutes ago, TracieABD said:

We were on Nov 24th, and they had started changing the TVs. There were also a lot of “techie-types” with Ocean Medallion shirts that were working on wiring, etc...

I was on this same cruise and I saw all the Ocean Medallion Techies all over the ship as well.   

2 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

No more fountain in the Guest Services Desk area. They really have shortened the stacks to fit under the Lions Gate Bridge. Beautiful wake view.

EA967A51-BA4E-456F-B4AF-FDB4CA6F7FE8.jpeg

Do you know why they removed the fountain?    I always enjoyed looking at it.  

18 hours ago, KENCHURCH said:

Thanks for all these. What a great idea to post live while on the ship.  I am concerned about the dinner times. Our 4 year old grandson simply can’t go,beyond 7:15. We started at 6 then moved to 4:45 which to date is the stupidest dinner time I have yet to hear about. Now, like you were, gtd at 7:15. We have a family of 9 so anytime will be a nightmare. Thanks again, Ken 

I have also been on with a family of 9 and we had anytime dining. The maitre d'  approached us at the end of the first night and asked us if we would be willing to have a set reservation for 6 pm every night as it made it easier for him to schedule his staff in accommodating us and other guest.  Worked out great for us. You may want to visit him when you board the ship.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KENCHURCH said:

Thanks for all these. What a great idea to post live while on the ship.  I am concerned about the dinner times. Our 4 year old grandson simply can’t go,beyond 7:15. We started at 6 then moved to 4:45 which to date is the stupidest dinner time I have yet to hear about. Now, like you were, gtd at 7:15. We have a family of 9 so anytime will be a nightmare. Thanks again, Ken 

There are three fixed dinner times, 5:15 in Concerto, and 5:30 and 7:45 in Allegro. Do not believe any emails Princess sent you beforehand. Maitre d’ have the ability to change dinner times for their own ships. I would NOT recommend taking a four-year-old to the late dinner. Entrees usually don’t arrive till 8:30 at the earliest. See the Maitre d’ right at 1pm to get the dining you want. 

• Like 1

The headwaiters on our many Princess cruises have always been fantastic, and with my wife’s food allergies, we interact with them a lot. Unfortunately, the one we have this cruise is about as useful as the proverbial screen door on a submarine. He inspires no confidence that the meals my wife is being served are free of her allergens. Tonight, after she was served her entree, some things looked suspect, so we asked him. He had no idea, and left to go ask the chef. By the time he returned, her food was cold. Other requests have been forgotten or ignored. Every other headwaiter has been very proactive and put us at ease. 

On a positive note, the waiter is getting a bit better (the assistant waiter has always been great), but maybe working under a headwaiter with such a don’t-give-a-damn attitude has rubbed off on the other staff. My wife was missing a side dish she had ordered the night before. When we asked where it was, the response was “well you have to order it the night before”. When we said we did, he just left; no apology, no nothing. He did finally return with it - after she was finished her meal. 

31 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

Better passenger flow, and apparently it broke down a lot and maintenance hated fixing it. 

Yes, the last time I was on the Royal it was under repair probably half the time I was on the ship.  And that was two years ago.

We were debating on the production show, but stopped at Crooners and ran in to our new friends who had renewed their vows that day. She was wearing a beautiful wedding gown, and looked spectacular. Kory, the piano entertainer was putting on a particularly good show, so we just stayed at Crooners. 

B9D6A0D3-0F8D-4EFD-AEE5-BB172F9E2479.jpeg

8 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

The quality of the food, however, has been excellent. 

The beef was very tender, and the Parmesan potato cakes were to die for. 

Tonight was my favorite dessert of the cruise. 

89F13674-2AA9-45B5-B473-5E13EFAE4A77.jpeg

Is the Fettuccine Alfredo back in the Parmesan bowl? 😍

17 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

The headwaiters on our many Princess cruises have always been fantastic, and with my wife’s food allergies, we interact with them a lot. Unfortunately, the one we have this cruise is about as useful as the proverbial screen door on a submarine. He inspires no confidence that the meals my wife is being served are free of her allergens. Tonight, after she was served her entree, some things looked suspect, so we asked him. He had no idea, and left to go ask the chef. By the time he returned, her food was cold. Other requests have been forgotten or ignored. Every other headwaiter has been very proactive and put us at ease. 

On a positive note, the waiter is getting a bit better (the assistant waiter has always been great), but maybe working under a headwaiter with such a don’t-give-a-damn attitude has rubbed off on the other staff. My wife was missing a side dish she had ordered the night before. When we asked where it was, the response was “well you have to order it the night before”. When we said we did, he just left; no apology, no nothing. He did finally return with it - after she was finished her meal. 

We had a similar situation once (And thank goodness ONLY once!).

We didn't want any confrontations so made up some excuse (something about the area not being comfortable or something) and were seated in a different area with a different waiter and headwaiter.

4 minutes ago, chamima said:

We had a similar situation once (And thank goodness ONLY once!).

We didn't want any confrontations so made up some excuse (something about the area not being comfortable or something) and were seated in a different area with a different waiter and headwaiter.

We really like our six other tablemates, and don’t want to move... 

10 minutes ago, chamima said:

Is the Fettuccine Alfredo back in the Parmesan bowl? 😍

You win! I posted that and was just waiting to see how long it would be before someone noticed!

Little story behind that... I know that they will usually do one on future nights by special request only. I made a special request of our headwaiter. Twice. Was told no both times. Was told they haven’t made one in five years (total lie) and that they could no longer make them. 

So at our CC Meet & Greet, Guy French, the F&B Director, was one of the officers who attended. In our Q&A, I asked if it was possible to get a Parmesan basket by special request. “Of Course” was the answer. Last night, as we were entering the dining room, our headwaiter was standing there, and with an icy stare said “You apparently talked to the right person”. And lo and behold my Parmesan basket arrived. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

We were debating on the production show, but stopped at Crooners and ran in to our new friends who had renewed their vows that day. She was wearing a beautiful wedding gown, and looked spectacular. Kory, the piano entertainer was putting on a particularly good show, so we just stayed at Crooners. 

You missed a spectacular show.  Encore (at least last cruise) was one of the highlights of my cruise.  Exceptional classical crossover vocals as well as the most difficult soprano aria performed live onstage and ballroom dance duets.

But, it was your night.  Glad you enjoyed it.  

31 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

Kory is a good performer, as well.

Edited by musicpro442