LIVE from the Royal Princess - Dec 15, 2018 - Eastern Caribbean

CanadianBurger

Our CC Meet & Greet which my wife and I organized was dismally attended. Over 60 people signed up, and we had a whole complement of ship’s officers attend. I was embarrassed when the captain said “This is the first CC event I’ve gone to where the officers outnumbered the guests...”

Some of the work done in wetdock:

The smokestack was shortened to fit under Vancouver’s Lions Gate Bridge, and scrubbers were added for reduced emissions in Alaska.

The fountain in the Passenger Services and Shore Ex desk area was removed. 

New satellite domes were added and the ship is now Ocean Ready. Medallion is expected to launch in March. All the TVs are new and interactive-ready. 

Some interesting anecdotes: during wetdock, waitstaff were on fire duty wherever welding was going on, and the CD staff were key runners, opening staterooms for contractors and babysitting them to make sure nothing walked off.

7 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

They are LG, with a remote that has a mic. The diamond button or the mic doesn’t do anything yet. 

image.jpg

Thanks........isn't  that the same TV that was on her since she came into service?

It looks the same as when we sailed last year.

20 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

Our CC Meet & Greet which my wife and I organized was dismally attended. Over 60 people signed up, and we had a whole complement of ship’s officers attend. I was embarrassed when the captain said “This is the first CC event I’ve gone to where the officers outnumbered the guests...”

I organized one once where the same large number of people signed up and my husband and myself were the ONLY passengers that showed up. The Captain brought a bottle of Champagne to share with us and it became all ours. I was embarrassed beyond belief! It was the last Meet and Greet I ever organized.

On a good note - we got to know several of the senior officers pretty well!

Edited by chamima

Thank you so much for through and informative review! We are doing B2B over Xmas and NYE, so picking up tips :) 

Our last cruise was on Regal in April 18 and I loved unlimited internet, kind of bummed they dont have it on Royal, but oh well.

Question, what is power bank? I normally bring an extension cord and multicharger (5 usb ports) and have never had an issue?

I am sorry about attendance for CC event, we dont normally sign up since we rarely manager to attend, just to avoid "no shows" embarrassment for organizers. 

40 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

Some of the work done in wetdock:

The smokestack was shortened to fit under Vancouver’s Lions Gate Bridge, and scrubbers were added for reduced emissions in Alaska.

The fountain in the Passenger Services and Shore Ex desk area was removed. 

New satellite domes were added and the ship is now Ocean Ready. Medallion is expected to launch in March. All the TVs are new and interactive-ready. 

Some interesting anecdotes: during wetdock, waitstaff were on fire duty wherever welding was going on, and the CD staff were key runners, opening staterooms for contractors and babysitting them to make sure nothing walked off.

Thank you for the updates on the wet dock.  I’m excited to hear OM will launch on the Royal in March.  Hopefully it will be functioning well when we board in April.

Have you heard any updates on the new beds?  Last update I read through this forum is that they were only in suites.  We booked a CC mini since we thought they would be on the priority list to receive the new bed.  I’m hoping they are continuing to place the new luxury beds..somehow.

sorry to hear about the low turnout at the meet and no greet. 

I'm wondering about the beds too.  It would make sense that they would be adding them daily to cabins.

We decided in our roll call that we wouldn't organize a formal meet and greet because it can be difficult to get everyone together.  Instead opted for a time right after Princess Cays to just meet at Wheelhouse.  If you make it, great...if not, oh well.  Sorry to hear that yours didn't turn out very well, but hopefully the few that did turn up become familiar faces for the rest of your trip!

1 hour ago, CanadianBurger said:

You mentioned that the M & G was originally in Club 6, but Princess moved it to the Crown Grill.  Could that have been the problem as to why so few people showed up?  

On 12/15/2018 at 11:57 AM, CanadianBurger said:

And of course, we were first at Crooners for our welcome aboard Skyfall and Midnightinis. Met Jo, the Crooners bartender, and it’s going to be a great cruise. 

AC133F3C-7C3A-4746-A618-9D8FA6599CE1.jpeg

We sailed with Jo (and Marian and Richard!) on the 11/09/18 cruise to the ABC's.   They were a great bartending team!  Please tell Jo Tom and Tracy from Ft. Lauderdale say hello!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruzinNoony said:

You mentioned that the M & G was originally in Club 6, but Princess moved it to the Crown Grill.  Could that have been the problem as to why so few people showed up?  

No, because Princess staffed both doors to Club 6 with people to tell CCers where to go. I suspect the time change had a lot to do with it. 

4 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

Thank you for the updates on the wet dock.  I’m excited to hear OM will launch on the Royal in March.  Hopefully it will be functioning well when we board in April.

Have you heard any updates on the new beds?  Last update I read through this forum is that they were only in suites.  We booked a CC mini since we thought they would be on the priority list to receive the new bed.  I’m hoping they are continuing to place the new luxury beds..somehow.

sorry to hear about the low turnout at the meet and no greet. 

We’re in a deluxe balcony, and the mattress looks new, and certainly is comfortable. I’ve been on other ships with the new beds and this certainly seems like the new one. 

Edited by CanadianBurger

8 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

We’re in a deluxe balcony, and the mattress looks new, and certainly is comfortable. I’ve been on other ships with the new beds and this certainly seems like the new one. 

Thank you Steve!  That Is great to hear that the beds are comfy.  My back will be very happy!  Thanks again for your time sharing photos, updates and tips while you’re on your cruise. 

4 hours ago, mthomp5 said:

4 hours ago, karabear15 said:

I'm wondering about the beds too.  It would make sense that they would be adding them daily to cabins.

54 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

Based on the Princess news release (12/13/18) about the shipyard maintenance every cabin has the new mattresses:  Princess Luxury Bed – available in every stateroom aboard Royal Princess”. 😃

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2380605

That also states the Fitness Center has “the latest in fitness machines”.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

Thanks for all these. What a great idea to post live while on the ship.  I am concerned about the dinner times. Our 4 year old grandson simply can’t go,beyond 7:15. We started at 6 then moved to 4:45 which to date is the stupidest dinner time I have yet to hear about. Now, like you were, gtd at 7:15. We have a family of 9 so anytime will be a nightmare. Thanks again, Ken