Edge Main Dining Rooms

Host Anne

I quickly checked and haven't seen this question yet so I'm hoping someone can answer it.

There are now four main dining rooms.  When you go into your cruise planner, it lists each dining room with a button that says BOOK THIS RESTAURANT but when you click the button it doesn't take you anywhere that you can actually select one of the main dining rooms.  Does anyone know how you select which main dining room you prefer?  

THANKS....and if this has been asked and answered already....apologies...I couldn't find this info.

12 minutes ago, Pennstateman said:

You will be assigned to one of the four dining rooms when you board the ship

^^^If you chose traditional dining.

This is the first cruise we chose "Anytime" dining, to make it easier to try each of the restaurants.  In my cruise planner, I was able to click the "Add to Cart" button under the complimentary restaurant that I wanted.  Then it asked which guests and what day/time I wanted.  There is a different button for each restaurant.  I booked 2 specialty and each of the 4 complimentary restaurants that way.  

Edited by OriginalBoat

1 hour ago, OriginalBoat said:

^^^If you chose traditional dining.

This is the first cruise we chose "Anytime" dining, to make it easier to try each of the restaurants.  In my cruise planner, I was able to click the "Add to Cart" button under the complimentary restaurant that I wanted.  Then it asked which guests and what day/time I wanted.  There is a different button for each restaurant.  I booked 2 specialty and each of the 4 complimentary restaurants that way.  

Thanks, OriginalBoat.  Anytime wasn't available so we had to go with Traditional.  I'll check to see if I can do it the way you did.  Appreciate the response. 

Penn State ~ I don't want to wait until boarding to be "assigned" a restaurant.  That won't work for us as we have folks with dietary restrictions.

All the restaurants serve the same nightly menu and the same anytime menu.  Then each has its own list of appetizers, mains and desserts, which never varies.  So if you are assigned a restaurant know that you will get the same offerings as everyone else, plus that restaurant’s specialties.

tonight was lobster, lamb shank, some other fish I don’t recall, risotto & beef Wellington.  All were available in all four restaurants.  I was in Cyprus so also could choose from the three Greek appetizers, the three Greek entrees  and a couple of Greek desserts.  Those same Greek items will also be there tomorrow.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Thanks 1

I've read how the main dining rooms work.  It's important that we aren't in a dining room that has their "specialties" that our guests can't eat.  Not having the additional specialty options really limits the main dining room menus. I've looked at all of them.  

I appreciate the responses.  

27 minutes ago, Host Anne said:

I've read how the main dining rooms work.  It's important that we aren't in a dining room that has their "specialties" that our guests can't eat.  Not having the additional specialty options really limits the main dining room menus. I've looked at all of them.  

I appreciate the responses.  

Anne:

This is what they said when the dining was first announced last March:

"If you choose Traditional, you will be assigned one of the 4 dining rooms with the same table and waiter. Celebrity will assign the restaurant - the restaurant assignment will be in your stateroom on Day 1.

-Guests may request to dine in a different main dining room, based on availability - you will have a waiter that works in that dining room for that night (waiters stay in their assigned dining rooms). You can also request change to another dining room for the whole cruise, based on availability.

-If you want to request to be assigned to a particular MDR, it is suggested that you email CelebrityDining@celebrity.com and they will forward the request to the ship and try to accommodate you."

FAQs:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/EDGE/EDGE_Culinary_Reveal_FAQS_2_22.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host Anne said:

Thanks, OriginalBoat.  Anytime wasn't available so we had to go with Traditional.  I'll check to see if I can do it the way you did.  Appreciate the response. 

Penn State ~ I don't want to wait until boarding to be "assigned" a restaurant.  That won't work for us as we have folks with dietary restrictions.

Well, then with Traditional, you're best bet is probably to do like @vtcruising said and get in touch with the line before you board.  It's probably a good idea to let them know your guest's dietary restrictions early anyway.

• Like 1

My TA had no idea that there was a new system for dining. I had to explain what the system was and why it was important for me to have “anytime select” dining or whatever Celebrity calls it.  I am glad I have the flexible seating times and can book to eat at each of the 4 MDRs at appropriate times.

8 hours ago, Host Anne said:

In my experience you can tell them about your dietery needs ahead of time and that will be applied to whatever restaurant you’re assigned.  If it were me, I’d make sure by calling my TA or celebrity

Anne

Glad you had some helpful responses..Cruise Critic comes through!

We chose the Select  Dining option  for EDGE Nov 2019 , when we booked the cruise,  and booked all our dining res asap..2 nights in  each mdr plus one Specialty.  Hope that plan works out.  ( It will be easier next month when we are AQ class in BLU)

Once you board you might want to check with the maitre'd of your Trad assigned dining room,  and ask how you can visit others or swap out if you need to.

I think that while the seating pattern  looks a bit tight in some spots ( way too many banquette seats),  there will be enough open seats to try the other mdrs.  GOOD LUCK!

Best regards,  Hcat

31 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

This isn’t Anthem.  Each dining room has both traditional and Select Dining.

They seem to separate them on Celebrity -- upper dining for my time/select, and lower level for traditional, unless they changed something.  

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

On Edge the entire dining concept is different.  Your comment about upper and lower levels does not apply.

Looking at Edge deck plans, the dining rooms are set up exactly like Anthem.  It would only make sense to set up each of the 4 dining rooms as either traditional or select, otherwise it would be complete chaos.  The two dining rooms on Deck 3 for traditional and the two dining rooms on Deck 4 to be select, especially if they serve the same menu in all four dining rooms.  If you know something different, please share with us.  It would be curious to know.

2 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

They seem to separate them on Celebrity -- upper dining for my time/select, and lower level for traditional, unless they changed something.  

Yes they changed the concept on.EDGE..If  you are not in a suite or AQ Class you are in either :

Select  which means you can book res ahead at a specific time and mdr  (there are 4)   or dine at an mdr of your choice..space available

OR Traditional...one mdr assigment, one time or late..but can visit others subject to availability..

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Yes they changed the concept on.EDGE..If  you are not in a suite or AQ Class you are in either :

Select  which means you can book res ahead at a specific time and mdr  (there are 4)   or dine at an mdr of your choice..space available

OR Traditional...one mdr assigment, one time or late..but can visit others subject to availability..

We are always traditional, same table, same deck, same waiter, etc.  So if I am assigned to one of the 4 dining rooms along with the rest of my table mates, we could be sitting in a dining room with select dining folks, having people come/go willy-nilly?

Just now, Wine-O said:

Looking at Edge deck plans, the dining rooms are set up exactly like Anthem.  It would only make sense to set up each of the 4 dining rooms as either traditional or select, otherwise it would be complete chaos.  The two dining rooms on Deck 3 for traditional and the two dining rooms on Deck 4 to be select, especially if they serve the same menu in all four dining rooms.  If you know something different, please share with us.  It would be curious to know.

It is  explained above and laid out well on Celeb website..see dining options and also under EDGE threads..dining sub threads.  All 4 serve same rotating menu but each has its own special  offerings..menus also posted on Website under dining!

We can expect feedback soon...1st revenue cruise currently underway..

It's a shame that those on traditional dining don't get to try the specialties from the other Main dining rooms, if only on rotation, i.e. each night the specialties from your restaurant and one other other are available.  Then  again it could be a way to nudge people to anytime dining.  

I suspect after a while they'll know which of the 4 restaurants is least popular and traditional dining will fill that one first, creating more space in the others for anytime dining.

Edited by DYKWIA

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

It is  explained above and laid out well on Celeb website..see dining options and also under EDGE threads..dining sub threads.  All 4 serve same rotating menu but each has its own special  offerings..menus also posted on Website under dining!

We can expect feedback soon...1st revenue cruise currently underway..

Well, I won't be sailing Edge anytime soon in light of their pricing and comments.

Wine-O, yes.  If you are in traditional in Any of the four dining rooms, you will go at your assigned time to your assigned table. At other tables, you will find select dining passengers coming and going, perhaps not Willie Nelly, but not on the same schedule that you are on.

It is not set up like anthem with one or two dining rooms exclusively for select passengers and the others for traditional.

1 minute ago, DYKWIA said:

Then  again it could be a way to nudge people to anytime dining

You may be correct. I suspect even on the Solstice Class ships the percentage  of traditional diners eating in MDR everyday is low.  The enhanced options in four    MDRs with no surcharge will just lower that percentage IMO.  It also provides an additional advantage to Select dining.

We had three Unique MDRs on our Disney Cruise.  The staff and diners rotated between the three rooms.  Only traditional dining was available, while moving cruisers away from having the same servers and table each night even in Select Dining.

Also Celebrity wishes to have people use the extra fee dining options for obvious reasons.  

Just another step away from Traditional dining IMO.

10 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

Well, I won't be sailing Edge anytime soon in light of their pricing and comments.

I thought you had already moved away from Celebrity.

I would like to at least try the Edge someday, when the pricing stabilizes, but my wife and I really like the Solstice Class ships.  I think it matches our needs perfectly when cruising in a suite.  Of course I realize that we are fortunate to be able to spend that kind of money on a cruise  but the Edge is about 50% more expensive.