Edge Main Dining Rooms

Host Anne

On 12/15/2018 at 10:48 AM, jagoffee said:

We had three Unique MDRs on our Disney Cruise.  The staff and diners rotated between the three rooms.  Only traditional dining was available, while moving cruisers away from having the same servers and table each night even in Select Dining.

They did the rotational dining thing on Anthem and people hated it and they eventually did away with with it and even the different menus, I believe. They're trying something different here. You can't please everyone.

• Thanks 1

We are currently booked for traditional 6pm dining and on the waiting list for select so we can try all four restaurants.  We were leery last year when we sailed on the Silhouette based on all the negative reviews of the MDR food.  We ate at a specialty restaurant the first night and in the MDR the rest of the week.  Food was incredible as well as the staff.

I am excited for the 4 MDR options.  This was one of the highlights of our Disney cruise - especially since your tablemates and waitstaff traveled between the MDRs with you.  Hopefully Celebrity will be open and try this since most cruisers want to feel like they can experience all the Edge has to offer.

I have to say we did go to the specialty restaurant on the Disney cruise a couple of times so the poster above who said that they don't have one or that Celeb tries to push people toward specialty - I believe all the cruise ships operate the same way.

Thanks for all the information and links!

3 hours ago, MamaChach said:

I am excited for the 4 MDR options.  This was one of the highlights of our Disney cruise - especially since your tablemates and waitstaff traveled between the MDRs with you.  Hopefully Celebrity will be open and try this since most cruisers want to feel like they can experience all the Edge has to offer.

I think the better option would be to just offer the more popular dishes from each dining room's menu in the others once a cruise. Or just book Select dining and go where you want.

Edited by MisterBill99

3 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

I think the better option would be to just offer the more popular dishes from each dining room on in the others. Or just book Select dining and go where you want.

Merging more of the  menus would completely defeat the idea of diff cuisine specialties and decor in each of the 4 MDRs..

Select was the best way to go for us. we made res in each of them and we can't wait to try them all on  our Nov cruise.

This concept of dining choice is one of the  EDGE positives...hope they do not tweak it too much!

6 minutes ago, hcat said:

Merging more of the  menus would completely defeat the idea of diff cuisine specialties and decor in each of the 4 MDRs..

Yeah, I meant that they should do it once a cruise. I am also looking forward to trying the different dining rooms. I have a 4 night specialty package on our first sailing but made free restaurant reservations for the second. If we really like one of the specialty's we might go back the 2nd week.

4 hours ago, MamaChach said:

We are currently booked for traditional 6pm dining and on the waiting list for select so we can try all four restaurants.  We were leery last year when we sailed on the Silhouette based on all the negative reviews of the MDR food.  We ate at a specialty restaurant the first night and in the MDR the rest of the week.  Food was incredible as well as the staff.

I have to say we did go to the specialty restaurant on the Disney cruise a couple of times so the poster above who said that they don't have one or that Celeb tries to push people toward specialty - I believe all the cruise ships operate the same way.

Thanks for all the information and links!

Glad you are on the waiting list for Select. You probably know, but if it isn’t changed before sailing , I would head to the maitre ‘d and see if you can get Select and some reservations before they fill up. 🙂

58 minutes ago, MamaChach said:

No I hadn’t thought of that!  Thank you!  I’m wondering how far on the waiting list we are. I’m sure everyone is getting on after reading reviews!

Does  anyone have the link to the menus at the four MDRs?

Thank you!

If you look at the first posts on the following thread the links are there, but only for 1 of the 14 day Celebrity Signature menu rotation. The Classic and restaurant specific Exclusives stay the same each night and the Celebrity Signature part of the menu changes (has a 7-14 night rotation). 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2517351-the-many-choices-of-edge-dining-venues-how-do-we-choose/

Edited by vtcruising

40 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

If you look at the first posts on the following thread the links are there, but only for 1 of the 14 day Celebrity Signature menu rotation. The Classic and restaurant specific Exclusives stay the same each night and the Celebrity Signature part of the menu changes (has a 7-14 night rotation). 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2517351-the-many-choices-of-edge-dining-venues-how-do-we-choose/

I guess the real question is whether the "Celebrity Signature" portion is the same as other ships or if they came up with new stuff for Edge. If it's the same menus as on other ships, then there is a thread with those (and I just experienced them on our Panama Canal cruise).

Edited by MisterBill99

11 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

I guess the real question is whether the "Celebrity Signature" portion is the same as other ships or if they came up with new stuff for Edge. If it's the same menus as on other ships, then there is a thread with those (and I just experienced them on our Panama Canal cruise).

I’m hoping someone will post the Edge MDR menus. I suspect they are the same though so thanks for the link!

11 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

They all looked familiar last week, so I don't think there is any new stuff, unless a missed a new starter or new entree.

1 hour ago, ecslady said:

They all looked familiar last week, so I don't think there is any new stuff, unless a missed a new starter or new entree.

How about desserts? Do each of the free restaurants have unique dessert choices to go with their appetizers and entrees? There is also a thread that lists dessert menus.

Edited by MisterBill99

24 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

How about desserts? Do each of the free restaurants have unique dessert choices to go with their appetizers and entrees? There is also a thread that lists dessert menus.

Yes they did have one Greek dessert in Cyprus which I had. It’s the top dessert on the menu.

A68B4A55-8653-4E3B-BBEC-12AF07DE89B8.thumb.jpeg.b2cac5b65c0d7e536c32eddf8390c672.jpeg

11642AA8-1A13-4D86-8068-E0E9169F1B52.thumb.jpeg.c54d5344c6b6cd2fc5acd87893a28c5a.jpeg

I had the Greek salad, which was excellent.

A9E71236-1EE7-4326-A9C1-A7F0BD0B86A6.thumb.jpeg.1d1f9d93be945cd22a6f6d20cf25c53d.jpegDE17D0FA-7A16-4F97-A91B-C73173E7CEA4.thumb.jpeg.82c3021a45ef2998d1de34e0d46cdddb.jpegB5FE3265-F561-4865-9ABD-4D0071F54ED1.thumb.jpeg.cf3a37e1be92e81294f95a6d2f7f0354.jpeg

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

Not sure if this had been said already.

if you have an exclusive restaurant dish then the colour of the plate will denote that. In Normandie it was pink. When you have other dishes the plates are white.

The attention to detail on this ship is incredible.

Weve eaten in all four now and my favourite for decor is Normandie, then Cosmopolitan, and Cyprus. Lastly Tuscan as it's just too black and white for my liking.

There's absolutely no difference in the food quality or service.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Not sure if this had been said already.

if you have an exclusive restaurant dish then the colour of the plate will denote that. In Normandie it was pink. When you have other dishes the plates are white.

The attention to detail on this ship is incredible.

Weve eaten in all four now and my favourite for decor is Normandie, then Cosmopolitan, and Cyprus. Lastly Tuscan as it's just too black and white for my liking.

There's absolutely no difference in the food quality or service.

I did not notice the color of the plate last week.  Would have been nice if the waiter or someone pointed that out.

Has anyone been able to get one of the restaurant-specific dishes from a different dining room? I remember on Anthem of the Seas, I discovered that this was possible, especially if you were on the same deck (I'm assuming that the two MDR restaurants on each floor share a galley as they did on Anthem, since the layout is very similar).

4 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I’m hoping someone will post the Edge MDR menus. I suspect they are the same though so thanks for the link!

Marilyn, I agree.  The first two menus MisterBill posted were similar to the two nights we were on Edge.

Katie

41 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Has anyone been able to get one of the restaurant-specific dishes from a different dining room? I remember on Anthem of the Seas, I discovered that this was possible, especially if you were on the same deck (I'm assuming that the two MDR restaurants on each floor share a galley as they did on Anthem, since the layout is very similar).

EDGE is not Anthem..... they have a great concept! Hope it does not get diluted with special requests...

1 hour ago, hcat said:

EDGE is not Anthem..... they have a great concept! Hope it does not get diluted with special requests...

I understand it's not Anthem, but the MDR restaurant layout is very similar in terms of placement on the ship, with 2 next to each other, and on top of the other 2.

Edited by MisterBill99

On 12/16/2018 at 1:30 PM, ecslady said:

Juat off the Dec 9-16 cruise, and we had Select Dining.  we made all our reservations online well in advance and had no issue.  We rotated through all 4 dining rooms, eating at 3 of them twice and the 4th one only once on the seven day cruise. Enjoyed the 4 separate dining rooms. 

We did speak with some people that had traditional that were assigned to one restaurant but wanted to try the others and It was difficult unless you wanted to eat very late.

I believe they used the restaurants on deck 3 for traditional, but select was in there also.

Just curious if you took advantage of any of the exclusive items. We have traditional dining, and not sure if we want to request a move for one night.

Without knowing for sure what the regular menu items are for the night we ask to move, what if we just all like the regular item menus, and don't select any of the exclusives, or may just one. Is that worth going through the trouble of moving for one night???

I know it is subjective to each person, but was there any one of the 4 traditional restaurants that stood out as either your favorite or least favorite?

46 minutes ago, rakes5 said:

Just curious if you took advantage of any of the exclusive items. We have traditional dining, and not sure if we want to request a move for one night.

Without knowing for sure what the regular menu items are for the night we ask to move, what if we just all like the regular item menus, and don't select any of the exclusives, or may just one. Is that worth going through the trouble of moving for one night???

I know it is subjective to each person, but was there any one of the 4 traditional restaurants that stood out as either your favorite or least favorite?

For decor Normandie was my favourite. Food on the night was Cosmo ( seared scallops for starters amazing) and overall ambiance goes to Cyprus. I'd happily eat in them all if I didn't have a choice.

I am wondering if anyone else who has been on Edge noticed this. We were only asked about allergies once during the trip. It was on the third night. I recall being asked every night when on Royal... and I think... other Celebrity ships...  At one point I asked if there was a way to get low sodium or no salt items and was told that I could look at the menu for the next day and order a low sodium preparation... but I had to do so the day before.... This is tricky when you are eating a a different place each evening. 

Another observation. The 'specialty' restaurant items were three different starters and three different entrees.... these items did not change and were the same when we returned the the restaurant. Now the other items on the main menu did change... except for those items... like salmon.... were always on the menu. I had thought that the specialty restaurant items would vary from day to day.  With that in mind there is little reason to try a different restaurant except for the atmosphere. I was a bit disappointed in seeing the same options.... however there were a few I loved enough to order a second time.