Is there much shade on The Edge?

hurwitz5

One of the many things we like about the S class ships is the amount of shaded lounge chairs at the outdoor pool.  We spend a lot of time there as well as at the indoor pool.  We avoid the sun as much as possible.  We are cruising on Celebrity for 3 weeks in January and will come home (northeast) with very little tan.  Does the Edge have a lot of shady outdoor areas by the pool?

This is a big disappointment.  In this day and age, when many people are concerned about skin cancer, this is a major negative for us when sailing in the Caribbean.  Would consider the Edge when sailing on a sight seeing itinerary (Europe, etc.) and the pool area isn’t as important.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hurwitz5 said:

This is a big disappointment.  In this day and age, when many people are concerned about skin cancer, this is a major negative for us when sailing in the Caribbean.  Would consider the Edge when sailing on a sight seeing itinerary (Europe, etc.) and the pool area isn’t as important.  

I can't handle the sun and frankly never hang out at the pool... I hope that the IV will give me the access to the sea without too much exposure to reflective light. We will see

1 hour ago, hurwitz5 said:

I had noticed the lack of shade myself, the whole pool area on the s class ships is as good as it gets in my view and we sit under the shaded area on either side. My wife has had skin cancer twice and it’s a real god send  for us.

53 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

No, the picture I posted is not “one floor up” from the pool. It’s on the pool level just where the doors to the solarium are, you can see them in the background.  The woman is walking toward that Solarium door.

24 loungers on a whole ship is all the shade there is?  That’s a huge miss.  I am highly dissatisfied 

• Like 1

When younger we had  a ski boat.  I worked midnights and as soon as I got off we would head to the boat and go to a island that had a sandy beach.  We laid in the sun everyday, drank and skied.  Didn’t leave until 5 or 6.    We got so tan that we would still have tan lines the next April.   As we got older we got wiser.   Stopped doing that and now that we are really old my wife had a few spots of skin cancer.   

We stay out of the sun and try to avoid it as much as possible.  

I tell people there are 3 things that I don’t like about a beach anymore:  the sun, sand, and water.  

We like those cabins with large overhangs, and aways try to find a shady place on a open deck that isn’t close to a pool but close to a bar.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

5 hours ago, Pennstateman said:

24 loungers on a whole ship is all the shade there is?  That’s a huge miss.  I am highly dissatisfied 

Maybe they moved some up to the suite balcs.?

..They def need the little snack  tables and some reg chairs!

Just off of Edge this past week. There is shade but sometimes you have to hunt for it.

Pool deck - There are the loungers that someone posted a picture of further up. There is also the deck just up a few stairs to the side of the pool bar. It was formerly the smoking deck but that has now been moved to the other side of the pool bar as of this morning. This deck area is totally shaded with loungers and easy pool access. The main pool area itself always has some shady areas but it changes each day depending on the position of the ship and the sun. One morning I was out there an entire half of the pool deck was in shade for hours. On the day we spent most of the day at the pool we found a corner that had shade all day. There was also shaded seating on the deck above the pool.

Solarium - Obviously lots of shaded seating here as it is enclosed.

Eden - There is a whole covered outdoor deck on the port side with various types of cushioned and non-cushioned seating.

The Retreat - At the front area of the sundeck there is seating towards the rear that is always shaded. It’s mainly couches and comfy chairs though. There are slatted top cabanas that will keep a good amount of sun out. I sat in one of those from 7am until 3pm one day and didn’t really have a sun issue until the last hour. Again, depending on position of ship and sun there might be more shaded areas that are created but more likely in the morning and later afternoon.

The thing I noticed is that a lot of people wanted to sit in the sun so fighting for a shady spot was not as difficult as I feared it would be.

• Like 2