Looking at Oceania for the first time

Straughn

Based on some very positive comments from a friend who sails on Oceania, I am considering trying it. I am looking specifically at the Riveria with a Caribbean itinerary. I am a long time Celebrity loyalist who really wants a change.   I have some questions. 

Most likely will travel solo. Demographic is retired female.

1. Looking at Concierge veranda. I normally book a Sky Suite on Celebrity, but the veranda cabin seems to have plenty of space. I note on the website deck plans that some cabins are marked with a star, indicating “special features.” What are those features? Recommended cabin locations  or ones to avoid? 

2. As a solo, will I have any difficulties getting a table for one? If I meet folks on the ship, and we decide to dine together, that is terrific. What I don’t want is to be randomly assigned to a table with passengers who may, or, may not, want me there. (I have had some really bad experiences with this.)

3. Does Oceania have any solo get togethers?

4. Any advice, guidance, warnings, useful info you may care to share would be most welcome. It has been years since I have sailed on a “new to me” cruise line.

Thanks.

You won't be assigned a time or table for meals.  If you want to dine alone you can; if you want company, you can have it.  In booking specialty reservations I would suggest that you put down "sharing".  If you don't know anyone from your roll call that you think you might want to join (and I use the word "know" rather loosely) they will put you at a table with others.  If in roll call discussions you find some people you'd like to have join you, you can all book a table together.

In the Grand Dining Room you will tell the maitre d' if you want to share or not.  Again, they will put people together -- generally as they arrive since they don't want people sitting at an empty table for very long!

The do sometimes have gatherings for people traveling solo.  I haven't been traveling by myself so I haven't been aware of how common these are.

Mura

54 minutes ago, Straughn said:

Based on some very positive comments from a friend who sails on Oceania, I am considering trying it. I am looking specifically at the Riveria with a Caribbean itinerary. I am a long time Celebrity loyalist who really wants a change.   I have some questions. 

1. Looking at Concierge veranda. I normally book a Sky Suite on Celebrity, but the veranda cabin seems to have plenty of space. I note on the website deck plans that some cabins are marked with a star, indicating “special features.” What are those features? Recommended cabin locations  or ones to avoid? 

If you  are looking at the online deck plan hover your mouse over the cabin it will tell you on the side the special feature   * = triple Occupancy

Not  sure of the size for a sky suite  but check the difference in  Sq Ft

B & C cabins are the same size & less $$ unless you wan the perk the A cabin cat  gives

54 minutes ago, Straughn said:

2. As a solo, will I have any difficulties getting a table for one? If I meet folks on the ship, and we decide to dine together, that is terrific. What I don’t want is to be randomly assigned to a table with passengers who may, or, may not, want me there. (I have had some really bad experiences with this.)

You can dine alone if you choose   staff may encourge you to share  but  if you do not want to that is ok ..it is open dining

I believe  they do

4. Any advice, guidance, warnings, useful info you may care to share would be most welcome. It has been years since I have sailed on a “new to me” cruise line.

Thanks.

Just go with an open mind & enjoy

I am not sure that it would be worth for you to pay for Concierge cabin, especially as you have to pay double. Concierge veranda is exactly the same as a regular veranda cabin with a few extras that you may or may not want or feel they are worth paying extra.

Please do a search here for concierge category for pros and cons of this benefit.

Tables for one would be more difficult in specialties but no problem anywhere else.

Enjoy your first Oceania cruise.

This doesn't answer your questions, but...

We enjoyed our cruises on Celebrity so much that we reached the level of Elite Plus. Then we tried Oceania. We would never consider going on another Celebrity cruise. The only comparison I can think of is Celebrity and Oceania are cruise lines. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Straughn said:

Thanks.

IMO, don't waste an Oceania cruise on any Caribbean itinerary. Try something more exotic.

We are Elite Plus on Celebrity so we have cruised a Celebrity a lot.

For our first Oceania Cruise, we booked a next to the bottom-of-the-line veranda (B3) and we have been traveling in suites on Celebrity.  If you like oversized balconies, consider the veranda B3 cabins aft on deck 7 - 7108-7126 and 7111-7131. The cabins are located above the Grand Dining Room. We never heard any noise and the balconies are awesome.

Total disclosure - we booked an aft Penthouse (similar in size to a sky suite) for the next cruise we booked on board.

Edited by cruzzzinma
  • Thanks 1

Just back from Marina's crossing as a single.  Realize that there is a difference between a single and a solo.  We had an initial gathering the second evening pre-dinner.  There were about 6 of us, 2 men, 4 women.  The social hostess was there and it was a no-pressure event.  There was also a solo's dinner and a luncheon.   The amount of interaction you will have depends on your personality.  There were people who saw I was a single and decided to join me.  If you want to be alone, that will be the way it is.  If you want to interact with people, visit the smokers areas, it's where people just sit and talk and cough.

On Riviera B2B in November they had Singles gatherings at the back of Martinis on the first nights.

There were very few singles, and I think that's because I only met one who managed to pay less than the full 100% supplement.

As echoed prior, not sure you need Concierge class vs. Balcony class.

Rooms the same.

FWIW our Concierge was utterly useless--only word he knew was "no".

As to the other benefits, we did use the three included bags of laundry.

The Concierge Lounge was a nice place to sit, but certainly no nicer than any of a dozen public areas.

It was a wet rainy day in Venice, so Concierge class was allowed on the ship a half an hour earlier than advertised--but any Balconies there early were allowed on with us. (Not a problem--lots of check-in clerks.)

We did like the access to the outdoor Spa area on 14. YMMV, but a couple Balcony Cabins negotiated the same access by cutting a deal with the Spa directly. On the 16-day TA, they negotiated a fee of $300/couple. 

Agreed with Flatbush that I'd try something more unique than the Caribbean with O, but that's just me (us).

This has all be useful info. Thank you.

I am rethinking Concierge level. Talked to a woman at an event last evening who has cruised on Oceania a couple of times. She said basically the same thing. Her first cruise was Concierge and for the second on, she went down to the balcony. Said she never missed any of the Concierge benefits.

As for the Caribbean- I cruise mainly to relax, be waited on, and not have to be on a schedule. At least, for my first cruise on Oceania, I think it best to go somewhere that I am familiar with, so I  can truly enjoy the ship. I am not very good at getting up early every day to go on an excursion. It is really, for me, about the ship and the onboard experience.

10 hours ago, sitraveler said:

Just back from Marina's crossing as a single.  Realize that there is a difference between a single and a solo.  We had an initial gathering the second evening pre-dinner.  There were about 6 of us, 2 men, 4 women.  The social hostess was there and it was a no-pressure event.  There was also a solo's dinner and a luncheon.   The amount of interaction you will have depends on your personality.  There were people who saw I was a single and decided to join me.  If you want to be alone, that will be the way it is.  If you want to interact with people, visit the smokers areas, it's where people just sit and talk and cough.

What is the difference, when cruising, between a "single" and a "solo" traveler, and how does it matter?

It can't just be the marital status, because there are plenty of non-married friends who share cabins to save money.  So they'd obviously be "single" but not "solo".

And I'm guessing that not all "solo" travelers are hoping to be, er, quickly paired up somehow.  Indeed, some may be quite happily already "paired up" back at home, but companion/partner/spouse doesn't like cruising or cannot go on specific dates or such.

GC

18 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

What is the difference, when cruising, between a "single" and a "solo" traveler, and how does it matter?

Maybe it matters  to the person who is single or solo

I do not think Oceania  has parties  for people looking to "hook up"

But who knows 😉

From what I understand  they send an invitation to those  on their own & they can choose to join the group activity or not

15 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

It can't just be the marital status, because there are plenty of non-married friends who share cabins to save money.  So they'd obviously be "single" but not "solo".

And I'm guessing that not all "solo" travelers are hoping to be, er, quickly paired up somehow.  Indeed, some may be quite happily already "paired up" back at home, but companion/partner/spouse doesn't like cruising or cannot go on specific dates or such.

GC

This is exactly my situation. My SO says he has had enough cruising for his lifetime. Not looking to find “someone.” Would just like to meet others traveling alone. 

2 minutes ago, Straughn said:

This is exactly my situation. My SO says he has had enough cruising for his lifetime. Not looking to find “someone.” Would just like to meet others traveling alone. 

I would  not worry

they usually have  a dinner or lunch for people travelling on their own  to meet others in the same situation

My friend  would travel without her DH  on several cruises

18 minutes ago, Straughn said:

Still not clear about what your concern is.

Is it that you are traveling with a friend/other relative/etc., so Oceania wouldn't have any way to know that you were really a "solo/single/whatever"?

Otherwise, why does this distinction matter?

GC

27 minutes ago, Straughn said:

Which ship will you be on? There is a significant difference between the R and O class ships.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:13 AM, Straughn said:

As for the Caribbean- I cruise mainly to relax, be waited on, and not have to be on a schedule. At least, for my first cruise on Oceania, I think it best to go somewhere that I am familiar with, so I  can truly enjoy the ship. I am not very good at getting up early every day to go on an excursion. It is really, for me, about the ship and the onboard experience.

To meet your requirements, Riviera is just about as perfect as you can get.  

This coming Feb 5th to 17th will be our third Caribbean cruise on Riviera.   We've been to all of the islands several times, don't snorkel or scuba, don't much like sand, so last year we didn't get off the ship at all.  Probably won't this year either.  We are booked in one of the B3 cabins with the extended balcony - quite a delight.  If you can snag one, I would. 

We were X loyalists but disliked the way the line seemed to be headed, decided to look elsewhere.  Found Oceania.  All's well that ends well.

As has been pointed out you'll have no problem dining alone or with others.  Know that when you share a table,  the folks who choose to share do so because they are interested in meeting new people and are interesting themselves.  Makes for a nice evening.

Best of luck and enjoy your cruise, whatever you decide.

Edited by gisnered
agreement - typos

3 hours ago, gisnered said:

To meet your requirements, Riviera is just about as perfect as you can get.  

This coming Feb 5th to 17th will be our third Caribbean cruise on Riviera.   We've been to all of the islands several times, don't snorkel or scuba, don't much like sand, so last year we didn't get off the ship at all.  Probably won't this year either.  We are booked in one of the B3 cabins with the extended balcony - quite a delight.  If you can snag one, I would. 

We were X loyalists but disliked the way the line seemed to be headed, decided to look elsewhere.  Found Oceania.  All's well that ends well.

As has been pointed out you'll have no problem dining alone or with others.  Know that when you share a table,  the folks who choose to share do so because they are interested in meeting new people and are interesting themselves.  Makes for a nice evening.

Best of luck and enjoy your cruise, whatever you decide.

You sound a lot like me. My days of snorkeling and spending the day on the beach are in the rear view mirror. I was never a scuba person. I would enjoy sharing a dinner table with you and your spouse.

Do you live in Philadelphia or just nearby? I have family in Bucks County/Fallsington, about 45 minutes north of the city.

Edited by Straughn

15 hours ago, Straughn said:

You sound a lot like me. My days of snorkeling and spending the day on the beach are in the rear view mirror. I was never a scuba person. I would enjoy sharing a dinner table with you and your spouse.

Do you live in Philadelphia or just nearby? I have family in Bucks County/Fallsington, about 45 minutes north of the city.

We live smack in the center of the city, have done for years.  

Should  you perk for the Feb 5th to 17th cruise, we could certainly dine.

On 12/22/2018 at 12:20 PM, gisnered said:

On 12/22/2018 at 12:20 PM, gisnered said:

We live in NJ just outside the city. Both my husband and I were born and worked in the city. We know another person who lives in PA outside the city who will be sailing too. Maybe we can meet during the cruise. My email address is classy stuff at hot mail dot com. If you join the words and use @ and . in the proper place you should be able to figure it out.