What to do about crew member bullying?

Just got off a 7-day Liberty of the Seas cruise with the family and need some suggestions on how to deal with an unexpected situation. My kids (9 and 11) are experienced cruisers (this was their 9th total cruise and their 4th on the Liberty). With one exception last year (because they said "staff members just yell a lot"), they very much enjoy spending a majority of their time in the kid's club. On this trip the first day or so they loved it but all of a sudden it was like pulling teeth to get them to go. My wife and I assumed that it was just because they made some new friends (there was a group of about 4-6 kids that hung out together) and preferred doing other activities together. On about Thursday evening I was sitting in Sorrento with the group of kids and was listening to them complain about a certain staff member. They were mocking a very inappropriate comment this Adventure Ocean staff member had supposedly said about other cruise guests. I found their comments puzzling but just assumed it was something taken out of context. 

On Saturday evening, I was again with this group of kids getting pizza when my son finally spoke up and said "dad, we need some help. There is an issue that we tried to deal with ourselves but we can't.". He then laid out several specific incidents (inappropriate comments, threats, and bullying) that occurred during the cruise by a specific staff member. The other kid's at the table made some clarifying comments that convinced me that this was indeed a real issue. I asked if they wanted me to report this issue and they all replied "yes, please. We don't want this to happen to anyone else". I then made sure that they understood how this would impact this staff member and the comment was a somber "yes, we understand. But mean people should not be working on a cruise ship.". I then reported this to Guest Services who showed very little concern. Interestingly, I saw this individual at Guest Services not 5 minutes later happily joking with 2 of the agents. It was highly evident that nothing came of my complaint.

On the drive home more of the story came out. My wife was absolutely furious. Had she known the full extent during the cruise, I am sure Security would have been involved 😕 Both my wife and I filled out the Survey and made sure to clearly point out the issue with this particular staff member. But what else can/should we do? My wife is still pissed and refuses to book another RCCL cruise until she knows this had been dealt with.

Anyone had this issue before?

Thanks. 

Edited by RockHoundTX
Spelling error

Never had that issue but I would definitely make a written report to both the cruise lines and Homeland Security.  An abusive crew member like that may be more of a danger to children than the incidents your kids describe suggest.  Here at home, let your kids make their own statements to authorities, both in writing and in person.  They sound like responsible, confident kids; use this as a learning experience for them in how to react to such threats.  I know others may say that U.S. authorities can't do anything but I don't believe that is entirely true.  In any case, the effort you put forth in helping and educating your kids will pay dividends. 

Good luck to you and your family.

I would start with the post-cruise contact:

Back from your cruise?
  • Contact our Royal Customer Service Team (24 hours / 7 days a week)800-256-6649

If you don't get some satisfaction from them, you can escalate to the executive offices.

Edited by payitforward
  • Like 2

I believe you were appropriate in listing it on the survey.  The information gets back to the ship very quickly so will probably be addressed by the officers. However, if you want to follow through, then you can also send an email to corporate offices.  Although, they will respond and thank you for the feedback and most likely offer you some type of compensation....I do not believe you will be informed of any action relating to the employee.  Most HR departments (including RC) have strict policies regarding such information.  I believe the crew member/situation will be addressed (and most likely reassigned to another department) but I think it is doubtful (not impossible but doubtful) that RC will notify you of any actions.   You might hear from other pax or see it for yourself if you cruise that ship again...what action was taken but I doubt you will "know" from corporate in order to satisfy your wife.  

• Like 1

Rule of thumb.  If you have an significant issue with a particular department, ask Guest Services, while on board, to note the issue and put you in touch with the relevant supervisor of that department and that you would like them to contact you before say dinner the next day or if on the last day, that evening.  Be specific about that.

Guest services does not handle or follow up on issues (not the front line staff).  All they do is basically send an email to a supervisor who decides what to do with it (which is why you saw the GS person chatting, once he or she entered it, their job is done, they cannot follow up even if they want to, at least not officially).

Requests that do not ask for a response are forwarded via messaging system (basically a closed basic CRM system) and if no response is requested usually just get filed until the supervisor has time to sit and review.  For the youth manager that's probably midweek the next cruise.   If a response is requested, its usually noted and gets higher priority, plus if they don't respond you can ask for their boss.  

Always note who you talked to a when (not sure if RCCL gives their GS people cards, but I ask for one, because they know that means I will be following up and at the very least they better log the issue corectly..)

Depending on followup, when you fill in the survey, tell them when and who you spoke to, which allows them to easily find the issue in their system.  Also indicate that you expect a response within a few days from a supervisor. (Surveys are not reviewed immediately)

If they don't respond, follow up with a direct contact as above.

It's always worth following up, even if its too late to resolve your issue, you can always save someone elses trip.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow. Great responses. Thanks. Really wished I had understood the severity of the situation earlier in the week when it could have been better addressed instead of the 7th day 😞 Live and learn. This definitely turned into a good "teaching moment" with the kids but one I would never had expect to happen relative to a cruise. 

If you got the feeling/sense that your complaint was not being addressed or taken lightly, you had the opportunity to buttonhole an Officer at the Captain's Q&A session which on the ships that I've attended is on the last full day.

I had an issue when I sailed the Quantum some years ago.  RCL was running a promo such as 20%+ in OBCs if you ate at the specialty restaurants from 2+ restaurants.  I made 2 reservations in my cruise planner and the other while on board.  After a week of an 11 nite cruise, my account never reflected the credit of around $50.  Went to GS and they told that I needed to make the necessary reservation on board to be eligible.  I questioned in that nowhere was highlighted and should it matter where the reserves were made.  Did not get very far. 

At  the Captain's Q&A, one of the Officers was the Hotel Manager.  Nicely after the session was over, I expressed disappointment with what had transpired.

He agreed, but explained that the policy was determined by the folks in Miami.  Anyway, he told me that he would look into it.  I did not expect any resolution as maybe it was lip service.  Anyway, that very night it was our turn to dine in Silk (Dynamic Dining), the SR Manager came to our table and gave me the good news--the OBC would show up in my account and it did that very night when I checked my transaction on the I/A TV.

Hope you get some feedback to address your concerns.

2 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Never had that issue but I would definitely make a written report to both the cruise lines and Homeland Security.  An abusive crew member like that may be more of a danger to children than the incidents your kids describe suggest.  Here at home, let your kids make their own statements to authorities, both in writing and in person.  They sound like responsible, confident kids; use this as a learning experience for them in how to react to such threats.  I know others may say that U.S. authorities can't do anything but I don't believe that is entirely true.  In any case, the effort you put forth in helping and educating your kids will pay dividends. 

What does Homeland Security have to do with this particular onboard incident ?

• Like 3

There are two people on the ship who would have  been responsive to whatever this serious concern was. One is the Hotel Director and the other is the Staff Captain.  The Hotel Director is responsible for the employees in the Adventure Ocean Program and the Staff Captain is responsible for guest security.  

Unfortunately the kids should not have shouldered this on their own and it is now up to the Corporate office to deal with it.

Hope that the responsible employee is terminated if that is warranted!

I don't have first hand facts of the case but if is very rude to blame the OP for not escalating further or board and suggest they have no other actions to take. Many adults are embarrassed to be the victims of bullying, let alone minors. It is unsurprising the facts didn't come out completely until later... Very common with victims. As such, RCI should be open to your complaint. They have your original complaint and can amend and investigate it. Good luck.

16 minutes ago, lizzy911 said:

I don't have first hand facts of the case but if is very rude to blame the OP for not escalating further or board and suggest they have no other actions to take. Many adults are embarrassed to be the victims of bullying, let alone minors. It is unsurprising the facts didn't come out completely until later... Very common with victims. As such, RCI should be open to your complaint. They have your original complaint and can amend and investigate it. Good luck.

Who suggested they have no other actions to take?

We had an issue 10 years ago when the cabin attendant made sexual comments to our 13 year old daughters. He was also very rude to us.  I complained and he was replaced by someone else.  Not much else could be done because it was his last week of his contract and he wasn't renewing.  We wrote to the CEO when we got home and got and a response that they had dealt with it.  Every cruise since then has been wonderful!

The best answer is to record the action on a cell phone either audio or video then show it to them but keep the evidence ask what they are going to do and let them know you will be posting it on social media.  Proof makes all the difference for something like this.

On 12/19/2018 at 4:35 PM, lifes-a-beach said:

Homeland security???? Based on his scant details of what actually occurred you suggest homeland security??????.?

WOW

Did not have this specific issue. I am leery of hearing only the children's side though.  I have been in several situations that I have seen children acting inappropriately, told someone in charge, the children denied their inappropriate behavior, and then their parent/guardian accused me of lying.  Also, if you heard them as you say "mocking" the person in charge it doesn't seem to be a legitimate issue.  Hard to do anything now but in the future if you think the situation is serious I would talk to the staff immediately.  The kids said they wanted to help others, yet they waited till basically the last night of the cruise to report it, which left you in a tough situation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Please give us more details on what this person did or said.  

I agree please give us more details.

My concern about your thread is what you and your children consider as " inappropriate comments, threats, and bullying". The Adventure Ocean staff member may not considered the comments inappropriate, threatening or  bullying due to their country of birth.   

I'm not defending the Adventure Ocean staff member but different words have different means in different countries.

• Like 2