Sexually Assalted on Royal Caribbean

Jacksonic

I feel like I need to get my story out because I am fuming right now. Excuse the rant. 

I went on Serenade of the sea on nov 19th for my honeymoon with my wife. We were trying to stay active on the ship and on the 2nd or 3rd day of going to the gym and sauna, I was sexually assalted in the showers. Running out I mention in detail what had happened and the name of the perpetrator to spa staff, and what had happened. In a fluster I head back to my room to relax and try and cope with what had happened. Expecting a call to my room I hung about for a while longer and nothing. No call no follow up. End of the cruise rolls around and I mention it in my follow up survey. Royal Caribbean does an “investigation” and informs me that they cannot do anything because “spa staff did not tell guest services staff.” Noreen (the wonderfully helpless surveyor) also let me know that they will make sure that they remind staff to report these kind of things. So my honeymoon was fair to say ruined, and you will make sure to remind staff....... thanks that solved everything I suddenly feel better. #sarcasm. I will never sail with Royal caribbean again. 

3 minutes ago, Jacksonic said:

I feel like I need to get my story out because I am fuming right now. Excuse the rant. 

I went on Serenade of the sea on nov 19th for my honeymoon with my wife. We were trying to stay active on the ship and on the 2nd or 3rd day of going to the gym and sauna, I was sexually assalted in the showers. Running out I mention in detail what had happened and the name of the perpetrator to spa staff, and what had happened. In a fluster I head back to my room to relax and try and cope with what had happened. Expecting a call to my room I hung about for a while longer and nothing. No call no follow up. End of the cruise rolls around and I mention it in my follow up survey. Royal Caribbean does an “investigation” and informs me that they cannot do anything because “spa staff did not tell guest services staff.” Noreen (the wonderfully helpless surveyor) also let me know that they will make sure that they remind staff to report these kind of things. So my honeymoon was fair to say ruined, and you will make sure to remind staff....... thanks that solved everything I suddenly feel better. #sarcasm. I will never sail with Royal caribbean again. 

Sorry to hear this.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jacksonic said:

Sorry this happened to you. When you didn't hear from anyone on the 3-7 day, you didn't think to go to guest services or back to the spa? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

I'm pretty sure Security should have been notified instead of the spa staff?

Oh and welcome to CC....

Looking back probably but hindsite is 20/20 but you are right.  

Maybe for the better. Police reports would have probably mucked up my honeymoon. Still disappoint in how RC handled it though. 

• Like 1

First and foremost: I am sorry that this happened to you, and what happened was not your fault.

Now that that's out of the way, I just don't think you can blame a company for their lack of response/reaction/investigation when it was not reported to the proper authorities when it happened. I understand that you thought you had, and were waiting on that phone call. However, when no call came, the time to escalate your complaint - making sure it reached the CORRECT personnel was then and there. Once you and the alleged perpetrator were no longer on board, the cruise line no longer has a crime scene to investigate, nor any victim, suspect or witnesses to interview. What can they do at that point? What action would satisfy you AFTER the cruise?

Many years ago, I was assaulted at a popular camp resort. I never blamed the resort for this occurrence as they were not the ones at fault. The incident was reported to the proper authorities. I didn't vow never to return to this particular brand of resorts because they cannot be held accountable for the actions of every guest. Had I reported it to the resort, and not seen immediate action, I would have found out exactly who needed to be contacted so that this crime could be prosecuted.

While you are in NO WAY accountable for what happened to you, you are accountable to report the incident to the proper authorities/department if you expect any kind of action to be taken.

It should not matter which employee you told about the incident. All employees should be trained and aware of the need to forward reports like yours to the proper people immediately, period.  I am sorry to hear that nothing was done.

2 hours ago, Jacksonic said:

Looking back probably but hindsite is 20/20 but you are right.  

Maybe for the better. Police reports would have probably mucked up my honeymoon. Still disappoint in how RC handled it though. 

Getting sexually assaulted should have mucked up your honeymoon. You also said your honeymoom was ruined. Sexual assault is very serious. You seem more upset at royals response, or lack there of, then the actual assault. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jacksonic said:

Jacksonic, it is not too late to file a police report on this and I encourage you to do so, so that a formal report is memorialized of what happened to you. You know the name of the perpetrator. Royal Caribbean knows the names (if you do not) of the spa staff that were on duty at the time of the sexual assault. There are still avenues that can be investigated. In some states, once you file the police report, you qualify for victim advocate services, which may include free counseling and other services.

You did report it immediately after to spa staff. I’ve worked with many victims of sexual assault in my career and it’s not unusual that you would be in shock and wait for follow-up after your initial report.

If you have an employee assistance program where you work, you may also want to consider contacting it for some counseling services, if available. 

Thank you for sharing this with us. No one would expect to be sexually assaulted in the showers on a cruise ship on their honeymoon. 

I am wondering about a few things.

Any assault is a possible criminal offense and you chose to tell a staff person in the spa. Did you ask to have security called?

Why would you go back to your cabin without talking to security about the assault? Especially when you had the person's  name?

Why would you worry about 'muking up' your honeymoon when a crime had been committed against you, didn't  this already happen?

Lots of gaps in information here. 

No bad intent here, but a crime should have a follow up with security, ASAP.

he was in shock.and the spa staff were not trained with what to do.im sorry this happened but it goes to show you all staff need retrained.but thank you for sharing .now anyone reading this will know to demand security be called.so you didnt share your story in vain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteelMagnolia9 said:

Jacksonic, it is not too late to file a police report on this and I encourage you to do so, so that a formal report is memorialized of what happened to you. 

It may well be too late for a police report.  Depending on where the ship was at the time of the incident.  The US, via the FBI, only has extra-territorial jurisdiction over crimes against US citizens when in waters not claimed by another jurisdiction.  In other words, if the ship is in another country's waters, you cannot file a police report in the US.

I have to say it just doesn't ring true as to what I think most people would do - I can imagine being in a state of shock for a while, but I'd be thinking of there was no follow up that day, I'd be progressing it on board the very next day, but for sure not waiting until I'd got off, when it stands to reason less can be done about it.  Just seems an odd reaction to me, tbh.

What also happened when you returned to your room regarding the wife? I assume she was ready for dinner? Did you tell her or not? Did she wait with you? Did you miss dinner? Did you tell her at all on the cruise, and if you did, what was her reaction?

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

I have to say it just doesn't ring true as to what I think most people would do -

Moral of the story....don’t hang around steam rooms.   The gentleman is/was a big boy and just could have said no.   I have been in that situation and all you do is say no thanks and move  along.    Besides, if I were on my honeymoon I would have been spending my time with my lovely bride.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HillBilly Bob said:

Moral of the story....don’t hang around steam rooms.   The gentleman is/was a big boy and just could have said no.   I have been in that situation and all you do is say no thanks and move  along.    Besides, if I were on my honeymoon I would have been spending my time with my lovely bride.   

Ha!!  I think the moral of this story is ‘don’t believe everything you hear or see’.  I think that’s especially true on an anonymous internet forum.

• Like 1