How bright should main dining room be?

gphb

This is only our second HAL cruise, long time Cunard and Princess cruisers, but we really enjoyed a 22 day antarctic trip and so are back for two back to backs on ms Veendam and ms Rotterdam.   We loved the main dining room on the Zaandam, but since we were in 24 hour sunlight due to the location on that trip never really noticed the lighting in the room.

The lights in the Veendam main dining room are very bright at dinner.   The main outer track in the ceiling are fluorescent, and the the smaller pin lights throughout the ceiling appear to be LEDs.  I am not sure if they dim but regardless they are turned all the way up for dining.  We are at the main sitting each evening (745pm) and it is completely dark outside.  

We always prefer incadescent lights but understand that these may be more energy efficient, but are surprised why the room is lit up so much -- essentially its like being in the Lido.     

Even the Lido I think dims the lights for Canaletto so we are wondering if we should mention it to the Maitre'D or if everyone much prefers this very bright lighting now the dinners are more casual?   

37 minutes ago, gphb said:

This is only our second HAL cruise, long time Cunard and Princess cruisers, but we really enjoyed a 22 day antarctic trip and so are back for two back to backs on ms Veendam and ms Rotterdam.   We loved the main dining room on the Zaandam, but since we were in 24 hour sunlight due to the location on that trip never really noticed the lighting in the room.

The lights in the Veendam main dining room are very bright at dinner.   The main outer track in the ceiling are fluorescent, and the the smaller pin lights throughout the ceiling appear to be LEDs.  I am not sure if they dim but regardless they are turned all the way up for dining.  We are at the main sitting each evening (745pm) and it is completely dark outside.  

We always prefer incadescent lights but understand that these may be more energy efficient, but are surprised why the room is lit up so much -- essentially its like being in the Lido.     

Even the Lido I think dims the lights for Canaletto so we are wondering if we should mention it to the Maitre'D or if everyone much prefers this very bright lighting now the dinners are more casual?   

Just my opinion, of course, but as I get older a little brighter light is more than welcome.  Especially when I'm trying to read the menu.  We just got off a Princess cruise where our table have very minimal lighting directed at it and it felt like we were in a dark hole compared to the rest of the room.

1 hour ago, gphb said:

The lights in the Veendam main dining room are very bright at dinner. 

From my experience, Rotterdam was much darker if I recall correctly, and MDR on Koningsdam and Silhouette were as bright as an operating room. Maybe it's easier for the waiters? I could do with less light as well, it's not a school cafetaria.

Actually a great thread! Proper evening lighting on a ship restaurant, cabin or at home makes or breaks the ambiance. Love a dimmer dining room. Also LOVE some of new menus at the better steakhouses on land that are lit from behind when opened so we are not struggling for readers 🙂      

Thanks for the feedback so far.   

I'll report back on the Rotterdam next week to have a direct comparison across HAL ships this month.  I noticed the picture of Club Orange on another thread looked rather bright too, again like a lido cafeteria.

I spoke to the floor manager who came by our table last night and asked him if it was a recent change for this ship.    He indicated he had just joined this ship this week too, having been on other HAL ships for many years, but he did know that the lights on these S/R class ships are absolutely adjustable with a dimmer.    He hadn't thought it about it until I mentioned it but agreed they were much brighter than his prior ships.     He was going to talk to the Maitre'D to see if there was a good reason from their perspective.

As  @AmazedByCruising mentions I do think it is so the waiters can see better, but I think in this case to the detriment of the ambiance; I am very much in @Crusinsusan2's and @OCruisers camp personally.

As for darker tables such as @Shmoo here experienced on the Princess, I must say one of the benefits of the HAL dining rooms on these older ships at least is that the pin lights are distributed across the ceiling making every table in almost identical light for all guests without shadows etc. 

I'm for brighter lighting.  We did a Celebrity cruise in August and the lights were not too bright at the beginning of early traditional, but about an hour in, they dimmed the lights and again a little later.  When I sat in the seat without a can light over it, I could barely see my plate.  I made sure not to sit there again.  I don't know how the waiters can see to write down your orders...EM

I'm all for more subdued lighting to contribute to the ambiance while dining. As septuagenarian, my eyesight isn't what it used to be, but I'd rather use the "flashlight" on my Apple Watch if necessary to read the menu than have bright lighting throughout my meal. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback on this one.   Just to report back that the Rotterdam does indeed have dimmed lighting at dinner.   The fluorescent panels in particular are much dimmer, and the many spots are dimmed slightly... not enough to make reading a menu hard, but enough to provide a nice atmosphere. 

I wonder why the Veendam chooses such bright lighting even when it is highlighted to them.  It's actually enough to make me avoid going on that ship again.

Bright fluorescent / LED lighting is hard on the eyes!!!

There should be a nice middle-ground.

I am hearing impaired.

I would never, ever, think to justify the music to be louder in a dining room, to accommodate my ears.

Yes, the lighting being too bright for dining enjoyment is not too different than the speakers being so LOUD at the shows.

I would like "Noon, at the equator during the Summer Solstice" when I am trying to read the menu or wine list.  After that, "Back of an Oldmobile Delta 88 in the Fall" is fine.